Code of Conduct

Default Anyone else like modern scents a lot more than older ones?

I just received my KL cologne from a sale here at basenotes and immediately noticed its "older man" smell. Despite the great reviews, I found the scent to be too much for the older crowd (maybe 30s-40s). Definitely not for a 21 yr old such as myself. I've tried quite a few scents prior to 2000 and haven't found too many I like (except one of my favorites: Fahrenheit). I like the aquatic, softer smell of modern fragrances a lot. Anyone share my taste?

Default Re: Anyone else like modern scents a lot more than older ones?

sure,.. im 27 with a young/modern look haha so,. im not into the classic stuff. so i prefer 90s and new releases..
    many guys in this forum prefer that 80s classics but sure they are into the 30s-40s... ., but age is not a factor to taste fragances i think.. : beer:
    Last edited by omniray; 8th September 2007 at 05:39 AM.

What is considered to be modern?... anything from 2000 on or do the 90's still count? I think I like more of a recent time period of scent but not extremely new and not too old. I do have those ones that just don't fit in with my norm too.

I do like the wider palette of olfactory colors that modern fragrances have opened up or at least alerted the general public to (was tea ever considered a note prior to the 1990s?), the slight mainstreaming of niche perfumery and the sense of adventure that accompanied those giddy times. Personally I miss the 1990s (maybe more than I should) and the scents of that era bring a lot of fantastic memories back. I don't wear CK One or Be myself, but smelling them puts me in a positive state of mind...ubiquitous though they might be. I was a Horizon wearer then, which I still love but with time acquires a certain bittersweetness. Ah, youth...

But I'm of the opinion that all eras of perfumery have something to teach us. It's one big journey and the marketplace is vast. I say why limit yourself? Nothing wrong with liking modern stuff and I still do, but remembering the scents of my childhood and digging a bit deeper have yielded rich results for me.

Stretch your nostrils a bit, trust me it's well worth it.
    Loves of Late: Agua Lavanda, Eau Sauvage, Gendarme, Guerlain Vetiver, Guerlain EdC Imperiale, Ivoire de Balmain, Kenzo PH, Mitsouko, Royall Lyme, Tabac Original

I'm 27, and most of my fragrance are from the 90's, 00's and a few from the 80's. But I do still like some older fragrances like Town & Country, Eau de Quinine, Acqua di Parma and a couple of Penhaligon's. However, I don't wear them often, and only find the need for small decants or samples.

I often find it soothing and meditative to wear something like T&C or EdQ at bedtime (bought 50 sample vials of each recently for £1.10!). I do appreciate some of these scents, but I know what you mean about the more contemporary fragrances.

For me it was more a personality thing than an age thing. I was 20 when I discovered Habit Rouge in 1992 - and thought 'THIS is what I've been looking for!'. Then again, I've always preferred classical music to modern stuff. I guess I just have a nostalgic personality. When everyone around me (same age as me) started to use Issey Miyake en masse, I was just put off. I found it utterly boring.

I tend not to discriminate by era.. From Aramis to M7 Fresh, if it smells good on me, then it smells good, and that's all that matters

I agree with Biffo...if it smells good, I wear it. I like scents that have a nod to the past put also feel timeless. Terre d'Hermes, Chevalier d'Orsay, Heritage, Creed BdP...

Although most of my wardrobe consists of frags from the 90's and 00's I do like to try older scents when I can as there are a lot of frags that are just copies nowadays and always like to smell something different that is new to my nose. Most old scents from the 80's and older have that 'old man' smell which do not suit me and make me feel ancient. There are exceptions such as Trussardi Uomo, Versace L'Homme, and Fendi Uomo that seem to break that rule for me. I still actively pursue older frags although they are harder to come about than newer scents just incase there might be that unique holy grail amongst them.
    ✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧UK Sale Thread: Niche & Designer bottles for sale UK✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧

Current Top Favorites:
    1) DAVIDOFF Silver Shadow Private Blend
    2) BOND No.9 New York Oud
    3) LUBIN Idole de Lubin (eau de parfum)
    4) MONT BLANC Legend Intense
    5) CHARRIOL Eau de Parfum pour Homme
    6) YSL L'Homme Parfum Intense
    7) DIOR La Collection Privée - Ambre Nuit
    8) SCENTSTORY 24 Gold
    9) HERMES Voyage d'Hermès Parfum
    10) LATTAFA Ameer Al Oudh

✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧ UK Niche, Rare & Designer Complete Decant List UK ✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧

✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧ Facebook Decant List ✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧

I'm 21 as well, but I'm the exact opposite, I prefer "older" scents to more "modern" ones. Guess it's all just personality.

I think our sense of "what smells good' is developped quite early on in life, which is why I really dig late 80's early 90's scents. although I do appreciate "some" new scents, and I really can appreciate them - they just dont "hit home" the way that 80's and 90's frags activate mysterious parts of my memory. now, everyones heard the phrase "scent is the strongest sense tied to memory" - but its not that these scents actually provoke distinct memories in me, I think they just invoke a general feeling of comfort (I had a great childhood, and looked up to everyone who smelled that way back in the 80's 90's). Someone my age ( 24 ) who prefers newer scents could possibly be explained by a different "scent history". perhaps they were not exposed to scents in their childhood, or those scents were assosciated with unhappy times (getting lost in a giant department store and crawling under the fragrance booth and crying ) lol! who knows.. that of course only one possible explanation and as with most things, there are thousands of factors

I'm 28 and I'm sometimes torn with this. I work in banking and am soon to be getting more into a fashion career perhaps, but one side of me appreciates the classic man- think Cary Grant. It makes me want to have a neat hair style parted to the side and wear my suit pants up on my natural waist a little more and be clean shaven. In this case, of course, Green Irish Tweed is my fragrance of choice or even Tabarome. Then another side of me likes more of a Jude Law look with the more fitted attire with the hair a bit messed up...just a bit and I want to wear more modern scents. I'm more into niche frags so I like Silver Mountain Water and various Bond No. 9's. I think it all goes with a person's mood that particular day. All in all, though, as far as frags in general go, I do prefer more modern stuff as I think improvements have been made...just like in anything else.

First and foremost, I love the classics. However I'm now discovering the niche and more unusual fragrances.
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

I love the classics too.

I like modern frags. And I like Guerlain Vetiver, Monsieur de Givenchy, Chanel Pour Moncieur, Chanel Antaeus. I think that those that smell timeless made it through the decades. Actually, I think that timeless is also modern.
    And I just like what smells good to my nose.
    Last edited by Boal; 9th September 2007 at 06:38 AM.

I am 26 and I definitely tend to lean more to the modern scents. I find that most of the "classic" scents are either generally dominated by an earthy/heavy note or I find that if I wear it, I just don't feel right wearing it. However, I do prefer to look for those scents that aren't too contemporary, but, that are also universally pleasing...the "hidden gems". so to speak and that's because my nose generally leans toward to those type of scents and not because I care what the crowd thinks of what I smell like!

I don't really think there is a huge difference between the two categories; there were bad scents back in the day, and there are bad scents now...so people probably think they like older scents because only the good ones are remembered all these years later.

Beyond that, I think we just convince ourselves that older scents somehow smell the part. There are new scents that smell like they could have come from 30 years ago and vice versa. Of course there are some obvious trends through the decades, but there are always the outliers that don't fit the mold. I classify what I like not by the period of the fragrances, but by common genres/note themes. I think it all comes down to smelling a scent and not focusing on the fact that it is a "classic".
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I love cologne, and I couldn't tell you what year Rose 31, Antaeus, or Dior Homme were made in. I too think that after 27 years, only the good scents from 1980 would have persisted. All else just falls out.
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

I understand the argument that a scent is simply a scent. It doesn’t matter when it was made but if it actually smells pleasing. However, I'm noticing that every time I dislike the scent of cologne it’s usually from the past and hasn't conformed to the contemporary, mainstream scents of today. I believe most today’s colognes are aiming more towards the fresh, aquatic side. While older scents tend to be a little bit too heavy. I guess I'm just more into more lighter smelling scents. Although this seems to be the case, one of my favorite modern scents, Yang, has a heavy smell to it. LOVE IT A LOT. By the way... when I say modern, I'm referring to post 90s
    Last edited by rippaman77; 9th September 2007 at 06:06 AM.

I could never undertand the argument that the "older" scents are too strong. Why not use less juice each time and appreciate longetivety and sillage? Many new scents disappear soon after you leave your house, and give you no choice about their lasting power or sillage.

Put on some Eau Sauvage and then see what you think about the strength of old colognes! That stuff is wimpy. And stinky.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I like what I like. For some reason the scents that were released in the eighties resonate with me.

But there are modern frags that I do really enjoy (M7; Gucci Envy; Bulgari Aqua; Bulgari Black; Issey; etc etc)

There are many great modern scents, you bet. But many more today are either watery/bland and/or made with super-cheap ingredients.

Give me my Habit Rouge and my Parfum d'Habit and my Blenheim Bouquet any day of the week over Tommy, Acqua di Gio and the other insipid little brats that command so much undeserved attention these days.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Great modern scents:

Terre d'Hermes
    Dior Homme
    Burberry London
    YSL Rive Gauche
    Geir Ness
    Bond No. 9 Central Park

If those were all I could have, I'd still have a fantastic complete wardrobe.

The only kicker is that many of the newer scents really lack the sillage factor of some of the classics like Polo Green, Kouros and Aramis.

Egoiste Platinum is an exception. More than 2 or 3 sprays will kill. Same with JOOP!.

Someone before got a good point: what's modern?
    For sure modern doesn't mean at all launched yesterday as long as "old smelling" doesn't mean at all launched 30 years ago.
    To be modern is to fe one step ahead of the crowd, to have that simple, yet original idea that everyone after comment as "hey, sure, it's so simple that I could have done it myself" but nobody did before.
    So, said that I rarely see in nowadays scents this going on as it has gone in the past decades, specially since perfumes have lost the magical allure they had back in times when making a perfume was not just a fact of making cash and following competitors on the markets, but an extraordinary event, a luxury act to proclame to the world how opulent, stylish and artsy a brand was. Sorry but nowadays it's no more going this way (mostly).

I don't have a favorite in terms of eras, i pretty much like stuff from every decade, but i do have some favorites brackets of time, say 1925-1931,1955-1961,1974-1980, 1989-1994 and so on and a few very old ones as well.
    If modern means from 2000-on then i guess i like a lot of scents from this time too but it only seems so because the amount of fragrances released are so much more than before, and i guess if we count and balance the average between the amount of fragrances being released this few years back and the ones released the years before, then the quality will overshadow the quantity by far.
    By that i mean that the vast majority of the new scents are not in any way to be compared with the old releases...IMHO, most of the new stuff won't even pass the test of time.