Code of Conduct

Exclamation CREED --- Bois Du Portugal

Can you please share your ideas about Bois Du Portugal which is number one in my wish list now ? Longevity ? Similar Scents ? Notes ?
    Thnx...

Default Re: CREED --- Bois Du Portugal

BdP is amazing. Others can tell you in more detail, but it is classy, elegant, and the longevity is very good. I just bought a bottle myself. Smokey at first; vetiver, lavender, spice, sandalwood. A bit of sweetness creeps in on the drydown, but it is always held in check. Just Right IMO.

Heritage and PdN - New York are sometimes compared to BdP. PdN is slightly less masculine than BdP.

Heritage and BdP will be staples not only in my fall/winter drobe, but I wear them whenever I want really (summer requires lighter application).

Hope this helps. the_good_life speaks highly of BdP, and many others also. Chime in guys and gals and help this man out in more detail. Good Luck with your decision.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 8th September 2007 at 11:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    BdP is amazing. Others can tell you in more detail, but it is classy, elegant, and the longevity is very good. I just bought a bottle myself. Smokey at first; vetiver, lavender, spice, sandalwood. A bit of sweetness creeps in on the drydown, but it is always held in check. Just Right IMO.

Heritage and PdN - New York are sometimes compared to BdP. PdN is slightly less masculine than BdP.

Heritage and BdP will be staples not only in my fall/winter drobe, but I wear them whenever I want really (summer requires lighter application).

Hope this helps. the_good_life speaks highly of BdP, and many others also. Chime in guys and gals and help this man out in more detail. Good Luck with your decision.
    Do you think there's enough of a difference in BdP and Heritage to warrant owning both?

This is my all time favorite scent. I am a young and conservative, this fragrance works wonders on me. I have always received raving compliments from both sexes when I wear this, which is quite often. The longevity is tremendous and others can smell it many many hours after my nose has become acustumed to it.

As others have said the top notes are all about lavender and smoke, but the drydown comes to a fresh creamy wonder. I will always have a bottle with me. I cannot say enough good about this fragrance.

Good luck with your bottle. I hope it treats you as well as it has treated me!
    Last edited by The Duke; 9th September 2007 at 12:14 AM. Reason: I sounded ostentatious

Absolutely..they are different enough.

Heritage has some pepper, coriander, patchouli, vanilla in it. While the general effect that each gives is similar, they are sufficiently different IMO.

The vetiver plays a prominent role (more than you think - thanks zztop ) in BdP with the lavender.

Both are two of the most timeless, elegant frags I have ever had the pleasure to wear.

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    Absolutely..they are different enough.

Heritage has some pepper, coriander, patchouli, vanilla in it. While the general effect that each gives is similar, they are sufficiently different IMO.

The vetiver plays a prominent role (more than you think - thanks zztop ) in BdP with the lavender.

Both are two of the most timeless, elegant frags I have ever had the pleasure to wear.
    Guess I'll have to test BdP some more times, with my limited testing I found them fairly similar

BdP is one of Creed's finest and it does not have the longevity issues of other newer Creeds and, I find, a much more interesting base than SMW, Millesime, Himalaya etc. While Heritage is the epitome of respectable gentility, BdP is sharper, smokier, great either for the autumnal outdoors or CEO battlefields. As always, testing is a must, there are some who find this overrated when they try it themselves, all I can say is: a must.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I mostly agree with the_good_life. Its vetiver infused base is quite different than the standard Creed millesime base, and while I dont have any longevity issues with the Creeds which share the millesime base (they all last atleast 7-8 hours on my skin...must be skin chemistry or my hairy chest and arms), BdP certainly has impressive longevity. Heritage and PdN New York are similar and are fine fragrances in their own right (and their lower price tags might be more attractive), but really there is only one BdP. I am on my second bottle, and I will definitely keep buying it.

Its a helluva fragrance, whether Luca Turin thinks of it as such or not. Try it out for yourself.
    Last edited by zztopp; 9th September 2007 at 03:05 AM.
    -

One of Creed's best. Not a timid fragrance. Not as overwhelmingly strong as
    Vintage (Private Collection) Tabarome, but luxurious and compelling. Definitely
    sample first, but it's worth finding even if you have to hunt. I do find Parfums de Nicolai
    New York of the same quality level too.

Heritage is significantly different. I'd look for the Creed regardless of whether I had
    Heritage or not.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    BdP is one of Creed's finest and it does not have the longevity issues of other newer Creeds and, I find, a much more interesting base than SMW, Millesime, Himalaya etc. While Heritage is the epitome of respectable gentility, BdP is sharper, smokier, great either for the autumnal outdoors or CEO battlefields.
    It's very true, Bdp does lend strength! I hope I will never use it as armor though. That might take away from another quality: creating springtime in November !
    Last edited by narcus; 9th September 2007 at 09:35 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Ah, my all-time favorite scent!

PdN is nothing compared to BdP and Heritage, do not be fooled! The Guerlain is much more similar to the great Creed.

Heritage has very good longevity but it pales in comparison with Bois du Portugal.

hmm, is it worth getting both. In a sense it isn't simply because of BdP's pricetag in comparison with Heritage's. And they are uncannily alike. But I own both because it is like owning two black suits. One of extremely fine quality and another of decent quality. Both are great suits but some days you don't want to waste your Gucci suit if you're Calvin Klein will suffice.

First of all excuse my ignorance, but I can't figure out which fragrance is PdN. So I can not compare it with BdP. But in any case I like BdP very much, but I'm very sure that I had a scent somewhere around the secondhalf of the 80's which was a copy cat of BdP. I can't remember if it was a fragrance or deodorant but it was a copycat. That is one ofthe things that I hate in the fragrance industry; you can get the same fragrance with a huge price difference. I know some deodorants from Turkey which were the copycats of some well-known, popular fragrances at that time. They were 10 times cheaper and some of them were lasting longer than the original one. One I can still remember is Krizia Uomo. I first bought the fragrance. Later on when I was back at the shop and testing the new fragrances, the guy told me about a new deodorant which was smelling the same as Krizia Uomo. I tested it and bought it. It is a bit disappointing to see the same scent under another brand as deodorant or fragrance with a huge price difference. I have the very same thing with BdP. I have a stronge feeling that copycat of BdP was sold as a deodorant then, but it still is a good fragrance I like very much. I bought mine BdP a few months ago after reading a lot about him on Basenotes. I got curious and bought one. The moment I received it and tested it, I have recognised the scent.

PdN = New York by Parfums de Nicolai

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26122067.html

Everyone will hate me for it, but I find it dated and too old smelling for my tastes. When I wore it, I felt like I should be wearing one of my dad's blazers with leather elbow protectors. It's not bad by any means but it smells way too old to me.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    Everyone will hate me for it, but I find it dated and too old smelling for my tastes. When I wore it, I felt like I should be wearing one of my dad's blazers with leather elbow protectors. It's not bad by any means but it smells way too old to me.
    I share the same view--the vetiver and something else makes it bitter earthy and branch-like which makes it hard for me to wear. Excellent frag nonetheless...there's a fresh outdoorsy transparency quality about it, aside from its spiciness. It's evolution makes it very expressive. PdN NY is wearable to me, though. Wish the spiciness lasted longer, but it mellows down to the vetiver nicely without being bitter earthy.

Heritage is a great frag for anyone who wants to express a sophistication regardless of age, though I see it more as a sharp wood scent which mellows to a sweet Guerlain base. Worthy of another purchase, not spicy like BdP.
    Last edited by iMaverick; 10th September 2007 at 03:00 AM.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Superb power scent, period. Right up there with Musc Ravageur and JHL as one of my very, very, VERY favorite frags.

It's very comparable to New York, yes, but New York is more ambery and powdery, and has somewhat less spice.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

I agree.To me, BdP is one of those 80's, super-macho numbers that brings to mind Ronald Reagan. Yes, it's a Creed, so of course it's well made and all that, but blah, blah, blah.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 10th September 2007 at 03:34 AM.

I'm another who agrees with you on this. I give credit to BdP for being strong and long lasting, but that's not necessarily a good thing to me. To me it smells too "perfumey" and unnatural. When I spray this on my wrist, I can't help but think of a guy who wears too much cologne.

The best. Period.

My SOTE is PDN's New York, and while I can appreciate the similarities, BDP is a superior scent. To my nose, Heritage, while a very good scent, does not fall into the same category.

To me, the essential meaning of "classic" is that it never smells old or dated. While I respect the members who think this one does, give it another try in 5 years. YOU many need to grow up, not the juice. Not a slam, just an observation.

I put this one in the highly rarified air of Patou PH, Versailles PH and the relatively newcomer Divine L'Homme Sage.

Men's perfume simply does not get any better.

Here is the conundrum, however. I don't think it's someone's age, really, but the mental association with it. I can wear Balenciaga PH perfectly fine, and I've worn JHL when I was 12, and heck I would've worn VinTab at 12 if I found it pleasing. I think it's more the acceptance based my own personal tastes without an olfactory reference to those we do not want to be.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!