Code of Conduct

Arrow 60's, 70's, 80's classics

Although my modest collection consists primarily of 'modern' fragrances, I've become more and more interested in learning more about some of the fragrances of the 60's-80's.

I think it was started off by a recent visit ot my granfather's. In the bathroom, there are various bottles of what must be 20 or 30 year old fragrances, none of which seem to have been touched for many many years. There's an unusual bottle of Brut (some weird large double spherical shaped bottle) and a few bottles of Lagerfeld Classic (I think - the one with a ring cap).

I'm fascinated by the bottles and scents of some of these frags. There are some interesting bottle designs (mostly brown!?).

Can anyone reccomend some test-worthy frags from the 60's, 70's and 80's for me to try. I might hate them, but it just seems like the next natural stage in my fragrance journey of discovery. I'm thinking along the lines of Aramis, Lagerfeld, possibly Caron etc. I might even get my grandfather a bottle of something for christmas.

Chris
    Current favourites: Silver Mountain Water - Terre d'Hermes - Erolfa - Fou d'Absinthe - Sequoia

Default Re: 60's, 70's, 80's classics

Definitely try Guerlain Vetiver.(60's)
    Also try Eau Sauvage (60s)
    Antaeus (80s)
    Kouros (80s)
    Fahrenheit (80s)

I would have recommended Vetiver by Guerlain but I see you have already tried that:

60's: Aramis, Eau Savauge (Dior)
    70's: Yatagan (Caron), Azzaro PH, Aramis 900
    80's: Number 3 (Caron), Antaeus (Chanel), Xeryus (Givenchy), Obsession (Calvin Klein), Trussardi Uomo, Fendi Uomo

My knowledge doesn't go much further back than the eighties but here are some scents that are either recommended by me or have had good reviews. There are very few scents within this time period that actually appeal to me as they seem to have that 'old man' smell and are suited to men who are much older, but I have found a few hidden gems, of which are listed above, hope this helps. Also, I wouldn't recommend anything by Lagerfeld apart from Photo (1990's)
    ✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧UK Sale Thread: Niche & Designer bottles for sale UK✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧

Current Top Favorites:
    1) DAVIDOFF Silver Shadow Private Blend
    2) BOND No.9 New York Oud
    3) LUBIN Idole de Lubin (eau de parfum)
    4) MONT BLANC Legend Intense
    5) CHARRIOL Eau de Parfum pour Homme
    6) YSL L'Homme Parfum Intense
    7) DIOR La Collection Privée - Ambre Nuit
    8) SCENTSTORY 24 Gold
    9) HERMES Voyage d'Hermès Parfum
    10) LATTAFA Ameer Al Oudh

✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧ UK Niche, Rare & Designer Complete Decant List UK ✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧

✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧ Facebook Decant List ✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧

Balenciaga Portos, Ted Lapidus Pour Homme and Lancome Balafre if you can find them!

60's: Habit Rouge
    70's: Equipage
    80's: Eau d'Hadrien

Definately Habit Rouge and Eau Sauvage.

I feel like such a dandy wearing HR, which can sometimes be a strange experience, but almost always very enjoyable. One of the best.

Eau Sauvage was one I really didn'y like earlier, but this year something happened. It is just so wonderful and perfect. Still don't own a bottle, but will soon I guess. I crave it a lot and always try it on when I see it in a store. Good shit.

Basenotes Institution

Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene
    Bowling Green by Geoffrey Beene
    Devin by Aramis
    Calvin by Calvin Klein
    1-12 by Halston
    New West by Aramis

It certainly makes sense in the fragrance journey path to explore some older scents, particularly those that might have predated your scent-wearing years. I am older enough to have worn most of those 70s scents, and even I have reached back into the 60s-era and earlier scents to see what I might have just missed out on.

I will recommend the following scents from these decades, in no particular chronological order (I have all of these in my collection; an asterisk denotes my highest rated ones)

60s

Nina Ricci Signoricci 1*
    Balenciaga Ho Hang
    Guerlain Habit Rouge*
    Monsieur Rochas*
    Agua Brava

70s
    Creed Selection Verte
    Monsieur Carven
    Nino Cerruti Pour Homme*
    Givenchy Gentleman
    Halston Z-14 and I-12
    Hermes Equipage*
    Loewe Para Hombre
    L'Artisan Vetiver and Santal*
    Paco Rabanne Pour Homme
    Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur
    Ricci Signoricci/2

80s
    Aramis Tuscany
    Aramis JHL
    Alain Delon AD
    Sung Homme*
    Annick Goutal Vetiver
    Quorum
    Cacharel Pour L'Homme
    Calvin
    Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree*
    Christian Dior Jules
    Creed Green Irish Tweed*
    Creed Bois du Portugal
    Zino Davidoff*
    Lauder for Men
    Armani Eau Pour Homme
    Jacomo de Jacomo
    Boss No. 1 (original)
    Bogart One Man Show
    Patou Pour Homme*
    Sander Feeling Man
    Biagiotti Uomo
    MPG Route du Vetiver*
    MPG Santal Noble*
    Ricci Phileas
    Parfums de Nicolai New York
    Balmain Ebene
    Tiffany for Men
    YSL Jazz

A big second to everyone, particularly Rompip and Ruggles. I have never heard Eau Sauvage refered to as "good sh!t", but indeed it is. I also totally agree with Xeryus and Obsession; the two are dripping in '80s.

But I am surprised to see the absence of Polo. What would the 80's be without Polo Green?
    You are not your perfume.

Classics? Here's an older thread which is a bit of a classic itself:

A Tribute to the Classics of Scent
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Quote Originally Posted by shifts View Post
    Definately Habit Rouge and Eau Sauvage.

I feel like such a dandy wearing HR, which can sometimes be a strange experience, but almost always very enjoyable. One of the best.
    Ditto on Habit Rouge. The 2000-edition is even drier than the original - not bad at all!

Maybe Vetiver from Guerlain also would go as a 60's scent?

80s: Derby from Guerlain. But sadly discontinued once again...

+1 on Eau Sauvage and Guerlain Vetiver. Aramis ain't bad, but can be temperamental. Still, when the mood hits and you want dry herbal/leathery goodness you could do far worse than this. If you're into coniferous notes (pines, junipers, etc.), Epicea by Creed is a must-try. Light like most non-Millesime Creeds and formal, a good year-rounder as well but particularly great around the winter months.

As for 70s, I say Azzaro PH, the Halston twins (1-12 and Z-14), YSL PH, Eau D'Orange Verte and Acier Aluminium are good reference points. Sample if you can, though I don't find any of them especially hard to wear with the right dose (which is a light dose - they're all single-sprayers/double-dabbers for me except for EDV). Can't vouch for Yatagan (yet), but it's another 70s classic that gets lots of love on the board and is well worth looking into.

80s has the mighty and much-maligned/loved Kouros, the original Calvin (hard to find), Tuscany, Zino, Jacomo de Jacomo, Bijan, Bowling Green and Fahrenheit just to name a crucial few - all designer classics and all very classy, they give many niches a marathon run for their money.
    Loves of Late: Agua Lavanda, Eau Sauvage, Gendarme, Guerlain Vetiver, Guerlain EdC Imperiale, Ivoire de Balmain, Kenzo PH, Mitsouko, Royall Lyme, Tabac Original

Check my wardrobe....most of them are classics that where popular in their time.......
    Current Favourites: Touaregh -Il Profumo/ Le Vainqueur- Rue Rance/ Versus Uomo -Versace/ Sculpture -Nikos/ Acier Aluminium - Creed/ Santal Noble - MPG

Off-Scenter

60s:
    Eau Sauvage
    Epicea

70s:
    Acier Aluminium
    Devin
    Yatagan
    Equipage
    Kiehl's Original Musk
    Mure et Musc
    Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme

80s:
    Kouros
    Antaeus
    New York
    Santal Noble
    Route du Vetiver
    Parfum d'Habit
    Iris Bleu Gris
    Ambre Precieux
    Patou pour Homme
    Eau Lente
    Czech & Speake No. 88
    Green Irish Tweed
    Bois du Portugal
    Fahrenheit
    Thirds Man
    Tuscany
    JHL

Lots of bases covered, you'll be busy for years . My suggestions are:

60s:
    I’m not much of a Sixties Man fragrance-wise. But Habit Rouge is a must, Cravache is a great patchouli that has just been reissued, and Capucci pour homme is an interesting citrus (many more relevant ones have been named, e.g. Eau sauvage)

70s:
    Bogart (75) - classic, but less dated than others
    Nino Cerruti (79) - quite modern in a way, green, subtle for its day
    Creed Acier Aluminium - From Olivier's „didn’t inhale“ days, one of the most spaced out Creeds.
    Etienne Aigner No.2 (76) dirt cheap, very well executed, richly textured and comfortable fougère
    Capucci Punjab - hard to find, excellent example of a leathery oriental chypre of its day
    Hermes Eau d’Orange Verte and Eau de Guerlain – there was “fresh and light” in the 70s, too
    Sisley, Eau de Campagne – still the best grass around

80s:
    Cacharel ph (81) - has aged very well, the soothing comfort of warm nutmeg and woods is timeless
    R de Capucci - eminently wearable even today, a relaxed, incredibly well-balanced chypre
    Patou pour home (80) - a perfect design where every component perfectly blends into every other to create a sum even larger than its luxuriant parts.
    Versailles pour home (80) - a blast from the past, very 80s, but very good. Versailles 40 Love is extremely rare, but it's a nice example of 70/80s dirtiness.
    Creed Baie de Genievre (82) - the ultimate juniper & cinnamon fragrance, one of the best Creeds, one of the best of the 80s, macho but never out of control.
    Creed, GIT - has to be on the list, such a classic and a class act
    Creed - Bois du Portugal (87) - a work of genius, cf. current thread
    Etro - Patchouly, Sandalo, Vetiver (all 89) - happen to be three of the most interesting Etros IMO, a bit synthetic, but full of character, yet sufficiently yuppiefied to be wearable by the twenty-somethings of that era.
    Maxim’s ph (88) – an overlooked beauty from the 1980s. Great if you like masculine florals
    Last edited by the_good_life; 10th September 2007 at 12:10 AM.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Given your listed favorites, I'd recommend Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme. (1978)
    SixStars: Miller Harris - Cuir D'Oranger

FiveStars:
    1. Cuiron 2. VC&A Pour Homme 3. Dunhill 1934 4. Trumper Marlborough 5. Trumper Wild Fern 6. Cartier Santos 7. MPG Ambre Precieux

Here are my thoughts of classic that made a impression on their era:

1960 - Aramis
    1970 - Grey Flannel
    1980 - Antaeus

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSC View Post
    Classics? Here's an older thread which is a bit of a classic itself:

A Tribute to the Classics of Scent
    Oh yes! Well done PaulSC.

This is the greatest thread in basenotes history

Just to name one for each decade worth a try (and not yet mentioned maybe...)
    60's: Lancome Balafre
    70's: Givenchy Gentleman
    80's: Gianfranco Ferre For Man(the original one not the new stuff)
    Last edited by Magnifiscent; 10th September 2007 at 12:49 PM.

Antaeus, Antaeus, Antaeus.

Eau Sauvage is good shit indeed. Find the Extreme version if you can, the original didn't last long enough on me, so I took it back.

Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree is fantastic, although technically, it's a reformulation of the original.

Hermes Bel Ami is a fabulous fragrance. Check it out, and also Equipage.
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

Don't see Monsieur de Givencgy. Maybe it belongs to the 50's, I'm not sure, butthere should be space for it in these lists somewhere.