Code of Conduct

Default Chanel no 5 impressions

The recent NY Times review of Coco Mademoiselle made me want to try this and I sampled Coco Mademoiselle on the one arm with Chanel no 5 on the other.

Coco Mademoiselle was sickly sweet on me and lost my interest to Chanel no 5 which I experienced in a fresh way.

My impression was that of pencil shavings with a drop of rose oil, a dusting of ash and a touch of hay.

I imagined the possible notes:
    rose, violet, musk, oregano, galbanum and oakmoss, though I am probably completely off base. I was trying to experience no 5 without my concepts of it. I must say I enjoyed its dryness, and the drydown continued to be subtle and complex and rather musky.

I am going to check the notes and post them below for comparison.
    From basenotes:

# Ylang-Ylang, Neroli, Aldehydes,

Middle Notes
    # Jasmine, Mayrose ,

Base Notes
    # Sandalwood, Vetiver,

well, I WAS completely wrong, but it was fun to guess. Maybe the vetiver made me think of the galbanum and oregano ... something green in there.
    Last edited by rtamara41; 9th September 2007 at 11:09 AM.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Default Re: Chanel no 5 impressions

Musse gave me the No.5 bug last year I love it! I have the parfum, EDP, EDT & the Sensual Elixer. I have a small EDT that's about half full, if you want - you got it

I must be one of the very few people who do not "get" the Chanel No 5 experience. I don't like it and and I really don't know why. Perhaps it's childhood memories, perhaps it's over used. I don't know.

Maybe, like you rtamara, I just have to experience with a fresh "nose". I'm glad you found something worthwhile to really like.
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

I wore it when I was in my late teens, because I thought it was sophisticated, but I never really liked the fragrance. Men, however, FLOCKED to me when I wore it. I don't know what it was about it, but it was a total man-magnet of a scent. I don't have a bottle of it any more, and I wouldn't go out of my way to get one. It's just 'a perfume I used to wear'.
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

i don't totally get the "chanel no. 5 experience"! i like it yeah, but not soooo much. my grandma used to wear it so it reminds me of her, but its not totally for me. it smells very soft and bright but everyone wears it. i want my fragrance to be a secret weapon! i really love coco and coco mademoiselle. i want both!! coco mademoiselle smells so earthy which i love and the drydown of coco reminds me of christmas! (maybe there is anise in it?? does anyone know?) and it lasts forever...::sigh:: i want everything...

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a dream about Chanel no 5 a few years ago ... You see, the number 5 is my favorite and my lucky number. So in my dream, no 5 spoke to me and told me to start wearing her, that she would make me lucky, she would bring me wealth, and all good things would be mine. Anyway, I wore it on 5-5-05 which supposedly *should* have been the luckiest day EVER for me ... I did not win the lottery, I did not suddenly lose 20 pounds, I did not get a big promotion at work ... but you know what did happen? I received 5 unsolicited compliments on my scent that day. I guess it works on my skin, but I never felt comfortable wearing it. Now, if she would just do something about those lottery numbers she promised me ...
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Too. Much. Aldehydes.

However, I have never smelled the No. 5 parfum - perhaps I could tolderate this.

On an entirely different note, the brand new Chanel No. 5 Eau Premiere is REALLY good. Finally a Chanel I might be able to wear. I think it would smell great at the gym! No kidding.

well, one reason I posted this is that I have never liked Chanel no 5 much until yesterday of all lthings! It was a sudden break in the heavens, with a finger pointing down at my head, an elegant finger no less!

My memories of this scent were of my Mom and it always seemed to heady for my liking. Somehow , last night, the mere wisp of a spray I used was the perfect amount and really held my interest and imagination for the evening.

I look forward to exploring this new and budding relationship.

what exactly is an aldehyde?
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Post Thanks / Like

No.5 pure perfume is still just about the sexiest smelling stuff there is for an intelligent, sophisticated woman.

An aldehyde is an organic chemical derived from synthetic or natural materials. It adds a vivid, quick, rich opulence to the top notes. It also brings diffusivity and gives strength and vibrance to a fragrance, esp. florals in which it bursts open the notes.
    Last edited by pluran; 10th September 2007 at 08:19 AM. Reason: chronos

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Too. Much. Aldehydes.
    i agree - as much as i try to like it i just cant seem to get past the aldehydes... at least i think its the aldehydes i'm smelling

Quote Originally Posted by dimples View Post
    I must be one of the very few people who do not "get" the Chanel No 5 experience. I don't like it and and I really don't know why. Perhaps it's childhood memories, perhaps it's over used. I don't know.

Maybe, like you rtamara, I just have to experience with a fresh "nose". I'm glad you found something worthwhile to really like.
    Believe me, there's a lot (a LOT) more women that don't like the stuff. For most it's the heavy use of aldehydes, for others is the snobbery of it all and for others there's the fact that it's very popular...and the list goes on.

I like the fact that chanel seems to have come to the conclusion that No5 in its regular form it's not everybody's cup of tea and then started releasing different variations of the stuff. What i don't like is the fact that when another house does the same with another perfume, a lot of perfumistas trash the other house for doing so, but when it comes to chanel, well, let's say there's a double standard.
    Last edited by castorpollux; 10th September 2007 at 04:20 PM.

Hi guys,
    I love chanel no 5 but it really doesn't last long on me. Can anyone suggest any alternatives that smell similar?
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by XYZ View Post
    Hi guys,
    I love chanel no 5 but it really doesn't last long on me. Can anyone suggest any alternatives that smell similar?
    Thank you!
    If you meant that the EDT doesn't last long on your skin, then why not try the edp or the parfum/extrait?
    If it's still lacking in longevity, then why not give Balenciaga's Le Dix a try (lots of people think it's either: a No5 copycat or a No5-reworked in a better way.)
    I personally think Le Dix is better than No5.
    I still love No5 though.

Post Thanks / Like

I enjoy No. 5 for awhile but after a few hours it annoys my sensibilities enough to gag them until they scream at it to go away. I would suggest to myself that I use it a bit more sparingly.

To me it's not a particularly sexy frag and frankly, I feel it tends to lean to the masculine side of scents than feminine. That puts me off, too.
    Last edited by FufuLaRue; 12th September 2007 at 04:48 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure it's just a combination of my bizarre skin chemistry & the crappy new American reformulations but - Chanel No. 5 begins, dries down, and ends "cute little girl" on me. For the most part, all it does is fade. Very little development. No deep musk or "old lady" smell.

Actually, I find THAT part a little bizarre. I sprayed Coco Mademoiselle on one hand and No. 5 on the other & got "weird old lady" smell from Mademoiselle but "cute little girl" from No. 5. It was sweeter, lighter, and softer even though on me, the former started off very light citrus, it ended kind of, strange. I can't describe it, but it was uncomfortable and I couldn't picture a 19/20 something wearing this. I couldn't even picture myself wearing it and I'm 32 and have worn Mitsouko and Aromatics Elixir more comfortably.

Post Thanks / Like

I adore chanel 5 and think it is brilliant. The jasmine/rose chemistry is fantastic. I much prefer the EDP to the EDT which didn't work as well for me a number of years ago. The aldehydes don't bother me. I also adore Le Dix which does not have the jasmine that chanel #5 does. Le Dix also has aldehydes and a killer sandalwood drydown. The chanel has much less sandalwood presence.

I don't usually have much luck with aldehydic fragrances - Caron's l'Infini, for example, is a disaster on me, as is Amouage Gold. No 5, however (and Le Dix, interestingly) works very well on my skin; I'm not sure why.

For me, No. 5 is a skin scent. I love to layer it with the bath and body products in the same line (my MIL wears nothing but No. 5 and usually gets me something from the range at Christmas), and find that if I'm wearing the parfum or EDP over the bath oil or body moisturiser, it becomes much softer and rounded. It smells the way a lovely silky camisole or a cashmere sweater feels.

I love No. 5 for the way it's so well blended that individual notes are hard to discern in the swirl of scent.

Oh - and XYZ - if the EDP or the extrait don't do it for you, do try Amouage Gold as well as Le Dix. I know I said above it doesn't work on me, but I've smelled it on friends who have more successful chemistry, and it comes out quite similar to No. 5, with impressive longevity.

I'm sort of having a deja vu experience with this thread...remember when we discussed Angel, and it was a love it or hate it scent...this must be true of Chanel no 5.

Oh good, I thought I was the only one who didn't get it. I try it from time to time, thinking that my nose and brain just must be miscommunicating, but on me it's just awful. None of the Chanels I've tried seem to suit me.

Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by pluran; 7th March 2008 at 07:52 PM.
    “Perfume is decidedly not about two things: it isn’t about memory and it isn’t about sex. Perfume is about beauty and intellect,”.........“A perfume is a message in a bottle—not a smell—and the message is written by the perfumer and read by the person who smells it.”

Post Thanks / Like

Dewey Eyed - you're not alone there. Chanels plain don't work on me. I'm not sure if it's skin chemistry or whether I'm just sensitive to a certain aldehyde or ingredient they use, but I don't like any of 'em. My colleague wears Allure, which she loves, but I can't stand it.

Diors, on the other hand, I can wear no problem. I even love and wear Poison, which is pretty difficult for a lot of people.

Chanel No. 5 is my mother's signature scent, and she carries a HUGE bottle in her purse at all times. Sometimes, because she knows I like scent, she'll take it out and squirt me at random. I have a small bottle of my own, and I do enjoy it, although I don't really wear it much. It works with my skin chemistry, but not with my personality. It's just too feminine.

As far as the scent itself, I agree with a lot of the posters here - the aldehydes at the top are too much. They make me feel a bit like I'm choking. But the drydown is really fabulous and evocative. It just <i>sparkles</i>. And I agree with the "cute little girl" comments above. It evokes a kind of girlish, retro Doris Day/Marilyn Monroe type of femininity. It's a lovely experience.

Favorite Notes:
    Rose, Apricot, Violet, Leather, Iris, Blackberry, Saffron, Musk, Incense

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by djuna View Post
    Chanel No. 5 is my mother's signature scent, and she carries a HUGE bottle in her purse at all times. Sometimes, because she knows I like scent, she'll take it out and squirt me at random. I have a small bottle of my own, and I do enjoy it, although I don't really wear it much. It works with my skin chemistry, but not with my personality. It's just too feminine.

As far as the scent itself, I agree with a lot of the posters here - the aldehydes at the top are too much. They make me feel a bit like I'm choking.
    Hmmm, maybe part of what I like about it are the aldehydes?
    For some crazy reason I enjoy feeling like I can "taste" my perfume(even if it only lasts for a few minutes on me.

But the drydown is really fabulous and evocative. It just <i>sparkles</i>. And I agree with the "cute little girl" comments above. It evokes a kind of girlish, retro Doris Day/Marilyn Monroe type of femininity. It's a lovely experience.
    Whenever I smell No. 5 the scent automatically reminds me of Marilyn Monroe whispering in a soft baby voice....

I am having a total crave experience with the bottle of Chanel no 5 edt that tinker sent me...thank you my dear... I really need to try the parfum now.
    I am experiencing what squeezeweezel described as it being a "skin scent" like a warm soft veil.
    for whatever reason , the aldehydes are not troubling me.
    is it the softer edt version?
    or that I use it sparingly? or just chemistry?

memories are coming to me of watching my mom get dressed to go to the theatre with my dad when I was a girl... putting her makeup and jewelry on... nice. ladylike. I am enjoying this.
    --------------------------------------
    Just purchased the pure parfum and was astonished at the animalic notes in it. Then I read that no 5 includes civet , and it made sense.
    Love this.
    Last edited by rtamara41; 5th October 2007 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost