Code of Conduct

Default Mainstream fragrances

Hey guys, this is my first post. I'm 27 and scarily new to this so thought I'd play it safe and mainstream for a few of my first purchases with ones especially that are ladies favourites. I can appreciate that every woman has her own unique tastes but think that there must be types of scent that flat out appeal to one sex more than the other. It seems quite difficult to strike that balance however, as the worst reviews tend to come for those that the ladies prefer as they're quite feminine frags and vice versa. Its quite akin to a thread I read on here about wearing cologne for yourself or for others. I'm sorry to say that I'm in the latter category at this stage and wouldn't say I absolutely love anything personally, although I love the fact that it could be making those nearby quite happy to be in my presence.

I trawled various forums before finding this great site (which is just what I'd been looking for all along) and there were plenty of names that came up time and time again. It wasn't the most popular but seemed to stand out with its comments so I bought L'eau D'Issey completely blind. I really do like it which was quite lucky really, I've tried some others in the flesh which were mentioned ad infinitum as favourites, Acqua Di Gio, Le Male, Coolwater, Fahrenheit, Joop etc and disliked them all so won't be doing that again, and am at least finding that I'm very select and won't cost me a fortune! I tested about 10 in my department store and Gucci Envy was the only one I would have and probably will buy, although I still have a huge list to get through.

I'm hoping that Curve which will be my second purchase might turn out to be a little gem, it seems to fit the bill with a major complaint being that its as common as muck. In England that doesn't look like it will be a problem as I simply couldn't find it anywhere in the shops and only one online store had it. So I guess I'm looking for those which seem to receive the best responses, maybe thats citrusy, fresh, slightly feminine fragrances, I'm not sure, which are self confessed lady and mass pleasers before I venture into potentially more interesting and experimental territory.
    Last edited by xx396; 9th September 2007 at 01:13 PM.

Default Re: Mainstream fragrances

You might like to try Live Jazz. I don't love it, but it's quite fresh and pretty mainstream, and liked by many at Basenotes. Also, it's really cheap at some of the online UK stores like fragrance direct.
    Other than that, I'd have suggested all the others you tried (Coolwater, AdG etc). They are pretty boring though.

PS - as you are just starting out, it might be tempting to get your collection going with a few blind buys. I'd strongly discourage this. Everyone has done it, and it seems a great idea at the time. It nearly always ends in tears though (in my experience at least!). Definitely try before you buy.
    Last edited by calexs; 9th September 2007 at 02:01 PM.
    Current favourites: Silver Mountain Water - Terre d'Hermes - Erolfa - Fou d'Absinthe - Sequoia

Post Thanks / Like

Issey is a lovely fragrance. I'm not to fussed on any of the curves but that's just me.

A few suggestions, most of which can be purchased quite cheaply online, and are mainstream with a bit of an edge:

Michael by Michael Kors (for autumn / winter)
    Terre d'Hermes (any season)
    YSL Body Kouros (autumn / winter) - I'd suggest M7 but this is definitely try before you buy
    YSL Rive Gauche (any season)
    Bvlgari Pour Homme
    Armani Mania
    Armani Code
    Paco Rabanne XS

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Thanks I'll add some of these to the evergrowing list!
    Last edited by xx396; 10th September 2007 at 07:42 AM.

I usually buy fragrances to match my taste rather that please others, but I do try them quite often in department stores and often ask women for opinions. Now its also good to mention that they are in their twenties.
    Most, in my experience like fresh fragrances, not too overpowering - Just like L'eau D'Issey, they would give you a fresh, clean, crisp feeling.
    Try these:
    Givenchy pour Homme Blue Label
    Bvlgari Aqva
    Dunhill Desire Blue
    Lanvin L'homme Sport
    Versace Eau Fraiche
    Davidoff Echo
    Jil Sander fragrances
    Lacoste Essential
    and most 'SPORT' fragrances
    I also really like Bvlgari pour homme or Bvlgari Soir

I personally really like L'eau Bleue D'Issey, but it falls out of this category, its rather aromatic. I also got a lot of compliments for YSL Body Kouros and Burberry Touch.

Then there are fragrances that are better for evening wear bit more spicy, they are more elegant, masculine, confident and sexy.
    Try:
    Paco Rabanne 1 Million and Black XS
    YSL La Nuit de L'Homme
    Armani Diamonds
    Armani Code (this seems to be very popular lately)
    Joop Jump
    Burberry Beat
    Cartier Declaration
    Dior Homme
    Diesel Fuel for Life
    D&G the One
    Terre D'Hermes
    Cavalli Black

I personally like fragrances with a bit of an edge, which give me a sense of individuality, but I am also very happy wearing some 'unimaginative' ones. Definitely try before you buy, I did it a few times, and usually it didnt work out.
    Its not an easy job choosing a fragrance, make note which ones you like, then have a look what they have in common, you should find a lot of help here.
    Also I would recommend choosing something that you genuinely like and that complements your personality and style. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by tonco17 View Post
    I usually buy fragrances to match my taste rather that please others, but I do try them quite often in department stores and often ask women for opinions. Now its also good to mention that they are in their twenties.
    Most, in my experience like fresh fragrances, not too overpowering - Just like L'eau D'Issey, they would give you a fresh, clean, crisp feeling.
    Try these:
    Givenchy pour Homme Blue Label
    Bvlgari Aqva
    Dunhill Desire Blue
    Lanvin L'homme Sport
    Versace Eau Fraiche
    Davidoff Echo
    Jil Sander fragrances
    Lacoste Essential
    and most 'SPORT' fragrances
    I also really like Bvlgari pour homme or Bvlgari Soir

I personally really like L'eau Bleue D'Issey, but it falls out of this category, its rather aromatic. I also got a lot of compliments for YSL Body Kouros and Burberry Touch.

Then there are fragrances that are better for evening wear bit more spicy, they are more elegant, masculine, confident and sexy.
    Try:
    Paco Rabanne 1 Million and Black XS
    YSL La Nuit de L'Homme
    Armani Diamonds
    Armani Code (this seems to be very popular lately)
    Joop Jump
    Burberry Beat
    Cartier Declaration
    Dior Homme
    Diesel Fuel for Life
    D&G the One
    Terre D'Hermes
    Cavalli Black

I personally like fragrances with a bit of an edge, which give me a sense of individuality, but I am also very happy wearing some 'unimaginative' ones. Definitely try before you buy, I did it a few times, and usually it didnt work out.
    Its not an easy job choosing a fragrance, make note which ones you like, then have a look what they have in common, you should find a lot of help here.
    Also I would recommend choosing something that you genuinely like and that complements your personality and style. Good luck!
    Wow! Welcome...what a great first post, tonco17. Good list of common fragrances that are worth a spray.
    Last edited by Primrose; 8th June 2010 at 11:50 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Here are the most common scents I have (or have tested) that are absolutely loved by most women:

Versace PH - this is a more mature take on the basic theme presented by Acqua di Gio. It's more masculine (slightly), and more interesting, just as loved by women, and perhaps most importantly, far less common.

Givenchy Play and Play Intense - both are sweet and a bit gourmand. Play is a bit more conventional, opening with citrus and ending with vanilla, wood and vetiver. Play Intense amps up the coffee note and the woods and becomes a sweet, woody, gourmand. Neither of these are as overpoweringly sweet or heady as say A*Men or Rochas Man, and so are far more wearable in all situations. I've gotten very positive responses from both.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Post Thanks / Like

Try all the Men's Bvlgaris - Aqua is my favorite. Most have a citrussy-fresh vibe, with a bit of musk and tea thrown in. They arn't all that popular either.

Kenzo is another great line to explore - Power, l'eau, pour Homme and Kenzoair are all worth a shot. These are all fresh but with a few things that set them apart; Power with the floral notes, l'eau with a lifelike 'lemonade' note, pour Homme with some really interesting marine notes and Kenzoair is a good first vetiver.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576