Code of Conduct

Talking Hermes Kelly Caleche: Masculine?

I had a chance to try this fragrance on my skin and I am tempted to buy it.

For my skin chemistry, the leather really stands out in a way that is very dry and the rose note is very quiet, making the scent like velvet; it has been my personal experience that fragrances featuring rose are very loud and way too feminine for my taste. Kelly Caleche manages to mix leather and rose that is not feminine nor is it loud.

In fact, every few minutes I get a huge whiff of the rose and dry leather mixed together that actually turns both masculine and exotic on me. When the rose note is note prominent though, the dry leather definently stands out.

I recieved many compliments on this from both sexes and the ladys were suprised at how I carried this scent. They couldn't tell it was a woman's fragrance.

The next thing I am sampeling is Heeley's Fine Leather from luckyscent.com.

From there I will make a sapient decision.
    Last edited by saam16; 9th September 2007 at 06:49 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Hermes Kelly Caleche: Masculine?

I am this close to buying a bottle of Kelly Caleche, for a few reasons: 1) My disappointment in Tom Ford for Men, I need some kind of consolation. No? It sounds good to me! 2) It is a scent that a man could wear - the first time my BF and I smelled this in the Hermes boutique, and I told him it was a scent for women, he thought I was joking him. He said he couldn't imagine a woman liking it, it seemed like a mens fragrance to him. 3) The rose and bright floral combo does exactly what you described: disappears, reappears, disappears, reappears - in classic Jean Claude Ellena style. Even if you don't like what the Hermes' scents smell like, you gotta admire what this man does with molecules!

However, here's the reasons why I haven't bought it: 1) I get absolutely NO leather from KC on my skin...WTF? 2) The rose note in KC is extremely similar to the rose note in Rose Ikebana by Hermes (Hermessence) and I already own Rose Ikebana. Rose Ikebana however is more about rhubard and it's really soft, where KC is much more stronger and well...less fruity. Do I need two Hermes scents with similar rose notes?? 3) Partly due to my previous comment, will I wear KC enough, to warrant a full bottle?

IMO - if you don't own Rose Ikebana, go for it. It is not a JC Ellena/Hermes 'classic' (like Terre d"Hermes) but it fills that 'modern rose' niche that Hermes' competition (L'Artisan, Le Labo, Montale, C&S, etc.) has had for years now. 'Modern rose' scents that men have been wearing for some time now.

As a man with a large bottle of Kelly Caleche in his collection, I am saying ABSOLUTELY - If it works on your skin, it most definitely is masculine enough. I actually get quite a lot of leather from it and I feel like a minority there b/c it seems in all of the reviews I've read that no one is getting the leather note. I do and it lasts for hours. This is actually one of the few leather scents that I can tolerate. Its a softer, clean leather - its actually very Hermes in feel where the leather is concerned. Refined.

I think KC is quite sensual and elegant in a subtle way and I wish it wasn't marketed as just being a women's fragrance.

Or pink. I wish it wasn't pink. Why is it pink?
    "To be irreplaceable, one must always be different!" - Coco Chanel

visit: WWW.SNIFFAPALOOZAMAGAZINE.COM

When I get my paycheck I well probably end up buying a full bottle. The shower gel is later on.

Like both of you guys said, I too can't imagine this being restricted to females if one's chemistry, like mine, makes the leather note very predominent and the rose note not as predominent (except for those occasional seconds when the rose appears then disappears in a quiet way).

Also, I agree with MarkDavid in that the color of the juice seems irrelevant to me.

I am also caught by the similarity between Kelly Caleche and Rose Ikebana...

Where can I acquire Rose Ikebana?

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by saam16 View Post
    Where can I acquire Rose Ikebana?
    Rose Ikebana is part of the Hermessence line of Hermes scents, only sold in Hermes boutiques. Ever so often, it also pops up on Ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Rose Ikebana is part of the Hermessence line of Hermes scents, only sold in Hermes boutiques. Ever so often, it also pops up on Ebay.
    Also, Kelly Caleche is half the price of a similiar sized bottle of the Hemessence line. Both are expensive though, one doubly so.
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

My birthday is on December 23 and I plan to go this mall where they have a Hermes boutique. I have a friend who loves fragrance like me and we are planning to go to the Hermes boutique together. Also, December is when I take my entrance exam test for law school!!!!!! I am so excited and nervous at the same time.

I need to practice this and trying to bribe the sales associate for decants while wearing my Gucci watch that was a high school graduation gift for maitaining a 3.9 GPA. If you are going into these stores, might as well dress the part while laughing at ego at the same time.

Basenotes Institution

My birthday is on December 23 and I plan to go this mall where they have a Hermes boutique. I have a friend who loves fragrance like me and we are planning to go to the Hermes boutique together. Also, December is when I take my entrance exam test for law school!!!!!! I am so excited and nervous at the same time.

I need to practice this and trying to bribe the sales associate for decants while wearing my Gucci watch that was a high school graduation gift for maitaining a 3.9 GPA. If you are going into these stores, might as well dress the part while laughing at ego at the same time.
    Cool - enjoy! Trips to the Hermes boutique here is always fun for me too - I get a serious joke at browsing amongst the $550 leather dog collars.

Remember - you can buy Kelly Caleche at many fine department stores, not just at the Hermes boutiques. While you're at the boutique please focus on the Hermessence line - which you only can buy at the boutiques.

Tried Kelly Caleche at BG today. IMHO it's everything that Dior Homme should have been. Lingering traces of cigarette, rose perfume, expensive lipstick, an old $100 bank note. Very nice in an abstract way.

I went to Sephora and filled the 2ml spray vial i brought with me with Kelly Caleche. I was able to test it on skin and wear it for a full day. I am surprised that on skin, my opinion of this fragrance did a complete 180 degrees. Not only did it last the whole day on my skin, I can smell a very fine leather note in no uncertain terms. The leather is well very pronounced on my skin. Like saam16, I was debating whether to get this or Cuir Pleine Fleur (Fine Leather) by Heeley. Having tested both on skin has made my decision easy - I am getting Kelly Caleche (I wish it had a different name. It sounds like someone who hangs around with the Lindsays and the Britneys).

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by lsp_NY View Post
    I went to Sephora and filled the 2ml spray vial i brought with me with Kelly Caleche. I was able to test it on skin and wear it for a full day. I am surprised that on skin, my opinion of this fragrance did a complete 180 degrees. Not only did it last the whole day on my skin, I can smell a very fine leather note in no uncertain terms. The leather is well very pronounced on my skin. Like saam16, I was debating whether to get this or Cuir Pleine Fleur (Fine Leather) by Heeley. Having tested both on skin has made my decision easy - I am getting Kelly Caleche (I wish it had a different name. It sounds like someone who hangs around with the Lindsays and the Britneys).
    Great that you 'got' the leather. I don't, but I have read a few people's reviews of it and some do get the leather note. Again, as I said before, its fascinating what JC Ellena can do with those molecules...

And I couldn't agree more about the name...something about the way the word 'Kelly' sounds when you say it - coupled with the color of the juice. It's a little cringeworthy. Why does it have to be pink? But - as I've learned here on Basenotes: It's not about the name, or the color of the juice, but it's about the SMELL. And KC smells great.

Quote Originally Posted by lsp_NY View Post
    I am getting Kelly Caleche (I wish it had a different name. It sounds like someone who hangs around with the Lindsays and the Britneys).
    It's named after the Hermes Kelly Bag, which got its name from Grace Kelly. I imagine the concept is for the fragrance to evoke the inside of a nicely broken in Kelly Bag. Which IMHO, it does beautifully.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 13th September 2007 at 02:51 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    It's named after the Hermes Kelly Bag, which got its name from Grace Kelly. I imagine the concept is for the fragrance to evoke the inside of a nicely broken in Kelly Bag. Which IMHO, it does beautifully.
    Grace Caleche would've sounded better.

Wink Re: Hermes Kelly Caleche: Masculine?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Grace Caleche would've sounded better.
    Grace Caleche sounds like somebody's aunt, no?

Thank you to everyone for engaging themselves in this thread, I love reading feedback and gaining perspective on things.

When I visit the Hermes boutique, I will concetrate on the niche line only because the others can be found a fine department stores. In fact, I want to concetrate on niche lines at this upscale mall that has Saks as well as high end stores. I mean how many times can you see the same mainstream fragrance at Macy's. One of the sales associates at Nordstroms I am friends with has barred me from buying anything because she wants me to save my money for graduate school; and she is right about saving money. She is really sweet, whenever I want a decant she is more than happy to make me a couple.

Which Hermes niche line do you feel is the best?

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Grace Caleche sounds like somebody's aunt, no?
    I was kidding...but, yes it does.

Which Hermes niche line do you feel is the best?
    The Hermessence scents at the Hermes boutiques are really the only scents by Hermes I would consider niche. Read these old threads on the Hermessence line:

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=171977
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=188892

Hermes also has a handful of limited edition scents (or shall I say limited release) that are pretty wonderful also, including a few variations on Caleche, a few variations on Eau D'Orange Verte and the extremely hard-to-find Doblis.

It's available in Canada now at Holt Renfrew.

But am I right in thinking that if I like Dior homme, which I do, that I will REALLY like Kelly Caleche? I hope so. MIssion today is sample KC!
    Last edited by graffham; 13th September 2007 at 02:51 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by graffham View Post
    It's available in Canada now at Holt Renfrew.

But am I right in thinking that if I like Dior homme, which I do, that I will REALLY like Kelly Caleche? I hope so. MIssion today is sample KC!
    Well, here's the thing. KC does not feature iris in it, at all. However I think what Ruggles was referring to, was the aesthetic behind both DH and KC is similar. Floral, classy, unisex, quality fragrances. Dior Homme is a mans fragrance that women could easily wear. KC is a woman's fragrance that men can wear.

Having said that, I do not like Dior Homme. I have a small decant, and ever so often I trot it out, test again, and still it just doesn't work for me. I admire it a lot, but DH's particular kind of iris doesn't work with my skin chemistry.

KC works beautifully on my skin.

When would you wear Kelly ?

& is it longlasting ?

i want to buy one for my wife hoho and use it myself hehe :--)
    Last edited by sanatik; 24th September 2007 at 04:29 PM.
    "Wow, I've never smelled anything like that before."

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by sanatik View Post
    When would you wear Kelly ?

& is it longlasting ?

i want to buy one for my wife hoho and use it myself hehe :--)
    Daytime - anytime outdoors would be fine. Kelly Caleche would smell perfect worn at a Sunday brunch, it's bright, just floral enough to smell bracing and comforting enough to stay close to the body. At night, it might only feel appropriate at home (perhaps before bed, or during...intimate moments).

Long lasting? I would say it is average longevity for a Hermes scent.

Yes, buying some for your wife and using it yourself - great idea. I do the same with my boyfriend all the time!

I just bought a decant of Kelly Caleche last night, I'm looking forward to giving it a full wearing myself.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 24th September 2007 at 05:42 PM.

I was really surprized that kelly and dior homme were compared, cause dior is in my list too.

My wife don´t like heavy frags but normally leather is heavy or ?

thx

Basenotes Institution

I was really surprized that kelly and dior homme were compared, cause dior is in my list too.

My wife donīt like heavy frags but normally leather is heavy or ?

thx
    KC is not a heavy fragrance, nor is a very 'leathery' fragrance. Read the threads about KC at these links below - I think these should answer most of your questions:

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=198100
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=195817

o thanks, did read both.

You writed there "totally perfect for the summer hot weather".
    http://community.basenotes.net/showp...8&postcount=13

Not for winter ?
    Last edited by sanatik; 25th September 2007 at 10:12 AM.

Basenotes Institution

o thanks, did read both.

You writed there "totally perfect for the summer hot weather".
    http://community.basenotes.net/showp...8&postcount=13

Not for winter ?
    Well, since KC just came out a couple months ago, I haven't had a chance to wear it in winter.

I also hate the name Kelly Caleche. I just think its dumb and unoriginal. It makes it sound like a flanker and its anything but.

If they really insist on naming it after the Grace Kelly bag - Grace or Kelly would have been simple, elegant, and most important - BETTER names.

Im both happy and sad to report that none of the Hermessences have wooed me enough to garner full bottle purchases. Happy because it means I save crock-shits of cash and sad because I've always considered myself an Hermes boy.

Now Doblis - thats one scent worth worshipping like Buddha.
    "To be irreplaceable, one must always be different!" - Coco Chanel

visit: WWW.SNIFFAPALOOZAMAGAZINE.COM

My Wife did test this on her skin and i get an card. She liked it (and i too ) so i will buy it her with the opportunity to test it now on my skin too. Find the rose very prominent at first and generally the beginning floral light smelling (My wife don´t like heavy frags). It comes heavier with the not heavy leather (and "heu", but couldn´t smell that) at the skin later but not that much (doesn´t change at the card much) and at last fine iris.

Did read also this osmoz articel about KC from Fabienne Antoniewski in german (is there the english version ?)

http://de.osmoz.com/statique/2007-11/caleche/kelly.htm
    Last edited by sanatik; 16th December 2007 at 08:17 PM.