Code of Conduct

Default Niche fragrance suggestions...

I would like to order some samples from Lucky Scent or Aedes to give to my best friend for her 40th birthday so she can choose what she likes best and I will then purchase her a full size bottle. She exclusively wears Angel. I am looking for some suggestions from all of you experts on niche fragrances of what to order. I am not looking for something similar to Angel. Thanks

Default Re: Niche fragrance suggestions...

Frederic Malle's Iris Poudre!
    I say that because I absolutely adore it and everyone who's ever smellt it on me says how nice it is. It's not 'challenging' but it is beautiful and very womanly. (And this from a lass who lives in jeans.) And I think it's something you need a bit of age behind you to be able to wear.

Since you're in the US what about a few of the CBIHatePerfume smells? They're very different and interesting, especially if your friend is literary or creative. They do sample vials from the website.

And of course there's the lovely Ava Luxe - she does great samples and the descriptions on the website are excellent, so you might well be able to choose somethign that sounds exactly like your friend. Is she a Madame X, a Film Noir or a Silk?
    ;-)
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Lucky Scent has a page they call "Top Picks," and that might help narrow the field. L'Artisan is my favorite house, and I see La Chasse aux Papillons makes it into two divisions of their top-picks lists.

http://www.luckyscent.com/toppicks.asp
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Please pm me if you/she would like to try some L'Artisan scents that I own. Well, and any non-Artisan scents, I will see what I can do about it! :wave:

On the subject: I agree, it is very difficult to select -- too many of them! First, please cross out the fragrances with the notes that she absolutely cannot stand, like, for example, no carnation, or no blackcurrant, or no insence. After that try to figure out whose taste on the board is somewhat similar to hers and check their Wardrobe and rating (hint: we have many Angel weareres here, typing "Angel" in a search box might reveal some identities!) . Then read some reviews here in the Directory or on MUA or on Lucky Scent. And the final step is to figure out the price range for a full bottle, like say, the limit is NO MORE than $ 120 for a 100 ml bottle -- and you guys have an advantage! -- if both of you try and fall in love with the same scent, you will be able to split the bottle! From these sites and if in your shoes, I would try:
    My top pick for her would be Anne Pliska!
    La Sireneuse Sienne d'Hiver, Paestum Rose;
    Diptique Philosykos, Opone;
    Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan, Douce Amere, Fleurs d'Oranger;
    Parfums d'Empire Eau Suave;
    Santa Maria Novella Nostalgia;
    Heeley Cardinal;
    Miller Harris Noix de Touberose; Fleur Oriental; Terre de Bois;
    Patricia de Nicolai -- go by your gut feeling;
    Delrae -- same as above.

Please let us all know what you decided on!
    Last edited by Twolf; 10th September 2007 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Forgot the top pick!

Basenotes Institution

I agree with most of the recommendations above.

I think everyone should try: L'Air du Desert Moracain by Tauer, atleast once.

Serge Lutens - Rousse, Sa Majeste La Rose, Miel de Bois, A La Nuit, Chergui (if you can get it). Oh and Ambre Sultan of course!

Also try out Annick Goutal Songes if you can. Glorious.

And finally, the piece de resistance, Shocking by Shiaparelli. Glorious times 1,000. The finest of them all IMO (still my top fave).
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

She is familiar with Songes, it is in her Wardrobe!

I recommend Montale's Blue Amber. It's very special, cool and warm at once like gray velvet, very solid and elegant.
    I'm also very fond of Bois Farine-- I get anise, wheaty peanut butter and cedar chest. I crave it.

Most of my other favs are ones in your own wardrobe/tested list.
    Please, spritz responsibly.

Thanks for all the recommendations. When I get my act together I am going to sit down and order lots of samples!

tdi be careful lol. I got so carried away that by the time I finished I had gathered up about 22 samples and still was looking for more. I just kept saying ooh I want to try that. Ooh I want to try that one too. I was clicking up a storm lol. I Haven't even gotten past the M's yet lol.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

Parfums Delrae: Bois de Paradis, Amoureuse.
    Serge Lutens: A La Nuit, Ambre Sultan, Clair de Musc
    MPG: Tubereuse, Bahiana, Or Des Indes
    Ebba: Miss Marisa
    Keiko Mecheri: Loukhoum, Gourmandises, Scarlett
    L'Artisan: La Chasse Aux Papillons, Voleur de Roses
    Montale: Black Aoud, Aoud Roses Petals, Aoud Velvet
    Parfum d'Empire: Cuir Ottoman
    Profumum: Fiori d'Ambra
    Susanne Lang: Midnight Orchid

BlackPhoenixAlchemyLab.com, Possets.com, ConjureOils.com, CobaltBlends.com!

I would highly recommend Iris Poudre and Sienne l'Hiver.

There's some great recommendations already in here. I'd also recommend Hermessence Ambre Narguile, close to Angel in character, just a rich ambery honeyed confection.

Chergui, Fumerie Turque, Le Labo Patch, Annick Goutal Eau de Fier are all good smokey rich fragrances.
    Visit our perfume blog - Perfume Posse

Off-Scenter

I concur with others who have recommended Ambre Sultan. A few others worth trying for someone who likes Angel: Diptyque's Eau Lente, Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier's Ambre Precieux, and Santa Maria Novella's Opoponax.