Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 3x3 Blind Sniff, Round 3 "Orienteering in the Orient"

We have reached Round 3 of our blind sniffing fun and this round is dedicated to the huge Orientals family.
    I am very honoured to have the following blind sniffers in this round:

Twolf
    Tinker424
    Dcfong

The ladies have received 3 vials each, marked A, B, and C: no clue, no hint, they will be relying on their noses only .... don't be shy, just describe as much as you can to the best of your ability!

Our Riannon has been entrusted with the backup list of the fragrance inside each vial.

But that’s not all…..
    Twolfie, tinks and dcfong have also received one vial containing a mysterious scent that HAS a name, but no notes listed and no reviews or descriptions anywhere: Eau de Narguilé by the French house Création Mathias (I remember many of you loving their Figue).
    The blind sniffers’ additional assignment will be to create the olfactory pyramid for this scent (and anybody having information will be so very welcome!).

Every girl and boy on Basenotes is enthusiastically invited to participate! Let the fun begin…..

One initial hint: at least one of the mysterious scents is as EASY as can be!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Default Re: 3x3 Blind Sniff, Round 3 "Orienteering in the Orient"

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_in_Black View Post

One initial hint: at least one of the mysterious scents is as EASY as can be!
    Yeah! Right!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

With me working evenings, I had to wake up early to see where the sniffers are now. Anyway, I received all four over a week ago and started opening the vials and sniffing right away. Let's start with A, B and C: all are ambery to a different degree, all are good and I suspect that all three of them are by the House of Guerlain. Or, feel like it!

Sample A

Liquid: light to medium yellow liquid, alcohol based.

General character: contemplative, classy, self-assured, a Guerlain.

Development: light amber, light citrus, a vegetable-like note (basil? fresh cedar? pickling dill?), jasmine, heliotrope, cold and slightly soapy patchouli (however, it might be leather!), ylang ylang, sandalwood, a bit of tobacco, a hint of vanilla, some animalic notes. Nothing really sticks out, but during the day it basically goes like ambery --> creamy --> "old lady" powdery. Neither sweet, nor sour or bitter, very harmonious composition. No flowers, not much spices, not boozy. Light but tenacious.

Longevity: very good, up to 6 hours dabbed and about 8 hours sprayed.

Sillage: insignificant, sits close to skin.

Imagery: a guided tour of an old house. A particularly dark room. A carved box made of wood with mother of pearl accents on an antique table. They used the box to store letters and before that, cigars. "Refrain from fainting on the leather divans" signs everywhere. No wonder: the lady giving the tour has a personal connection with the house, with the antiques, with the box. She knows, if one comes and touches it -- Puff! it dissipates into million little specks, into a small pile of dusty memories.

Reminds me of: Guerlain Purple Fantasy without the tea, blackberry and apricot. Guerlain Habit Rouge with less leather. Molinard Habanita done in water colors and with less vanilla. Guerlain Guerlinade. I might have tested it before, but I have never had the full bottle, although it is absolutely FBW.

Thanks for a chance to try such a gorgeous scent.

Wow, Twolf, I love that imagery, although the one I have when wearing this scent is slighly less somber and contemplative
    And no, it's no Guerlain
    Looking forward to our other two sniffers' posts before disclosing more

Today we are having rain here and it is very humid. Somehow, fragrance A is opening up as more of ambery-vanilla than powdery-sandalwood, which was the case in dryer weather. Still very smooth. If it helps to any of wild stabbers!

I've had scent A on for about 3 hours now:
    It seems EXTREMELY familiar! It has the same spicy sandalwood/musky amber notes as Burberry Brit Gold only much less intense.
    I have no clue what it could be Sorry!!

We can do it! Do not give up that easily, Tinks!

Strangely, I do not get much spices: they are there, but they are light and nicely blended. Perhaps, cardamom? nutmeg? In no way it is "spicy" as is, in the traditinal meaning of a word. Well, the centerstage is not theirs, not on my skin... Grown-up, dry vanilla -- yes! Sandalwood -- present. Musk (good, not crystalline or whatever modern name it has now) -- also a check.

Totally agree that it "sounds" familiar though. There is also some certain coolness and soapyness in the middle notes that I first described as patchouli or "leather divans", I was also thinking of moss, but I do not know now. Is there such as thing as soapy amber?
    --------------------------------------
    Probably this one will be Automerged with the previous one: another fragrance it reminds me of is MPG George Sand -- tried, loved and was too late a get a bottle!

In your opinion, will Shadesofbleu enjoy this amber?
    Last edited by Twolf; 10th September 2007 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Hello everyone!

I first have to confess that y’all have me a bit intimidated. I’m still trying to figure out what notes smell like what!

So here's my best crack at “A.” And I hope I’m not way off track, but the way this one keeps changing and smelling differently every time I put nose to wrist makes me think it must be a very well-made scent, not anything for the mass market. (please don’t laugh if I’m wrong!)

The first thing I thought when I tried “A” was, “hey, this smells familiar.” My first impression was that this has to be a Chanel. It starts off with a shrill blast of something that I interpret as aldehydes or maybe citrus, then settles down into a lovely thing I can’t stop sniffing – which is what happens with several Chanels on me. Once the shrill stuff goes away, I smell something soft, powdery, and a little bit spicy, maybe a hint of incense. Then all I get is amber, lots of amber, really nice amber, then amber with a bit of vanilla. Hours later, I smell something woody, a bit masculine and dark, which might be… patch?

I did a side by side comparison with the two Chanels in the Oriental vein of which I have samples (only samples! I wish I had FBs, but that will have to wait until after I make my fortune), Bois de Iles and Coco. “A” lacks the ginger and sandlewood in BdI and isn’t as loud as Coco. They definitely smell like cousins, though.

So am I right? Could this be Coromandel? I was quite surprised to find that several reviews of Coromandel match what I think of "A." I haven’t had a chance to sample this one. Whatever "A" is, it's gorgeous, and I really, really like it!!

Oh wow! you guys are really rockin' on this"Orient Express". GREAT, evocative reviews all (and dcfong - you're doing terrific - are you sure you're really a newie??!!)

I'm guessing A (just 'cause I love it) to be Tabu. - highly underrated, beautifully composed and available at your nearest drugstore for centimes!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Not Tabu -- remember, nothing really sticks out in A, very very balanced. No booziness, no heat, no extremeties. The liquid also has a lighter color than Tabu.
    Do not believe it is Coromandel either -- A is missing that "laquer" note so prominent in Coromandel, and I do not believe it is a Chanel either in spite of some coolness.

Is there a word Ambra/Amber/Ambre in A's name?

Dcfong, you are doing just fine! Hang on there, girl, we will get it together!
    Last edited by Twolf; 11th September 2007 at 06:46 PM.

Blog Entries

Mmmm, this sounds like fun!

Having no clue as to what you might be smelling I offer a few random guesses:

Coty Emeraude ?
    Dana Raffinee?
    Lentheric Byzance?
    Ava Luxe Opoponax / Opoponax Intense?
    Yves Rocher Voile D'Ambre?
    Five Star Fragrance Company Royal Secret Concentree?

Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Out of 6 fragrances moondeva mentioned, I am familiar with three and sample A smells close to YR Voile d'Ambre, but not exactly like it. It is more complex and it dries down to more powdery sandalwood. That's why I have asked if it has a word Amber/Ambre/Ambra in its name, because, ultimately, it is a soft ambery smell, I think.

:wave: I am luckily able to access Basenotes again! Let's hope it lasts...
    Nice guesses, all of you, but none winning so far!

The interesting aspect is how many scents sample A calls to mind...even if it's a relatively recent release, the main critique was that there's nothing groundbreaking in it. Agreed, it has a rather classic oriental structure, but it's not sooo boring to my nose. Dcfong, I am glad you like it!

Yes to sandalwood, patch, "good" musk and amber!! But there's not the word "amber" in any language in its name. It is in the directory but notes are not listed .

Spices? Not among the official notes...maybe some "exotic" ingredient? Interestingly, there's neither bergamot - nor other citrus fruit - in the top.

On my skin, once it dries, it is mostly sandalwood, another balsamic wood calling mahogany to my mind (Twolf, your carved box?) and an overall soft powdery accord; I don't perceive the patch as such, but as a component to form another note . I would like to get all the amber you get, ladies!

Does anybody smell flowers?
    How would you evaluate the quality of this scent? Natural or synthetic?
    What colour does it evoke?

I'm probably wrong,but Tom Ford's Black Orchid comes to mind...

Quote Originally Posted by ineespenes View Post
    I'm probably wrong,but Tom Ford's Black Orchid comes to mind...
    It's not, ineespenes, sorry - it definitely lacks the heavy, overripe notes of Black Orchid.

Would it happen to be from Maitre Parfumer et Gantier? The base seems very much like the MPG signiture musk base...to my me anyway
    I smell no flowers.
    It recalls a dark gold, like ornate Indian jewelry.
    It seems a blend of natural (sandalwood) and synthetic (musk).

Agree about MPG ("their" sandalwood, also similar to George Sand, but not exactly the latter!) and also add that it might be from Etro.
    Color(s): brown and white, like yellowed letters and old photographs in sepia.
    Flowers: not many, but there are some lavender, geranium, heliotrope and ylang ylang, not as accents but to hold the composition together.
    Exotic ingredient: it is not fruit or wood or some sort of fabric, although it does have that "cooling" character of leather and patchouli. Ebony? Not that "balsamic" to my nostrils!
    Natural vs Synthetic: I do not know!

Satellite Padparadscha?
    Last edited by Twolf; 12th September 2007 at 02:02 PM.

The house lists a whole truckload of floral notes!

However, I fully agree that the scent is so seamlessly blended that they don't stand out...except in the very first sniffs, tinks, if you hold your nose close to your skin.

Neither MPG nor Etro nor Satellite, but are you ladies veering towards niche, maybe??
    Very good, dear wolfie, you got leather and ylang ylang right :bounce: And the "nose" admitted to be using both naturals and synthetics in HIS scents

Let us resume the notes found so far:

ylang ylang, amber, sandalwood, musk, leather, patchouli, powdery notes :wave:

Dcfong, we need your help!!
    Last edited by Lady_in_Black; 12th September 2007 at 02:40 PM.

Wow ......this sounds like a difficult one! I can't wait until someone figures it out :bounce:

Back to where we all started, only now -- to sniff flowers.
    Rose -- no!
    Carnation -- perhaps!
    Mimosa -- not really!
    Iris -- maybe, an odd variety!
    Gardenia -- yeek, dead!
    Lilacs -- not a hint!
    Violets -- same!
    Orchid -- OK, there are so many of them, some even smell like a pair of socks worn for a week, but not in A!
    Lily of the valley, osmanthus, orange blossom, champaca, tiara, acacia, hyacinth, hibiscus, tuberose, lotus, freesia, cherry blossom, almond blossom -- probably just almond blossom, but again, not a slap in your face!
    Any other flowers we are forgetting? It is hard to find a black cat in the dark room especially if it is not there. Signed: Not me.

What was the importance of color association? :confused It is more of Renoir than Titian, if it matters any!

I do not believe it is a mass-market fragrance, though.
    Last edited by Twolf; 12th September 2007 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Spelling of Titian

Dear wolfie, either you know the identity of sample A already or we have a case of serious extrasensory communication here

The colour association is important in that the bottle has a colour which is totally different - and gorgeous - from the two colours this perfumer - - normally uses. And it is a colour Titian is famous for .

IMO the colour of the bottle goes very well with the character of the scent and with Orientals in general.

I feel I am giving it all away here. Tinks and Dcfong, where are you, darlings?

Now I know it for sure!

And it is a colour Titian is famous for

that would be red

Quote Originally Posted by Kyra View Post
    And it is a colour Titian is famous for

that would be red
    Exactly, Kyra!

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Now I know it for sure!
    Eh, something told me just that!
    Last edited by Lady_in_Black; 12th September 2007 at 07:43 PM.

I really don't know. Honest. I fold.

Thanks for all the encouragement, everyone. But, nope, I've got no idea.

C'mon guys, my curious fingers are already playing with B!

What Tiziano was fond of as a young man, were courtesans! Not all of them, he was indifferent to blondes and brunettes, or so I have heard.... Now back to our reality -- anyone?

What we do know about sample A:

- House is actually a perfumer/nose, male
    - Scent comes in a ruby red bottle, other than the fragrances in the line (which come in either frosted clear or blue bottles )
    - was relatively recently released (2006 )

I confirm that it is niche (as all blind sniffers had more or less placed it with their last guesses) and that amyris is among the notes listed .
    Last edited by Lady_in_Black; 13th September 2007 at 07:27 AM.

Last edited by PaulSC; 13th September 2007 at 08:01 AM. Reason: sportsmanship
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

I think I have guessed it but I don't know if I may tell, since I have not entered the competition earlier...

You can pm Lady_in_Black the correct answer! Go for it, dora, and thanks for reading and participating. Fun, isn't it?

OK, I know what line it is but sadly I do not know the line except for MUSK....
    I'll guess ALAMUT

Quote Originally Posted by tinker424 View Post
    OK, I know what line it is but sadly I do not know the line except for MUSK....
    I'll guess ALAMUT

:toppie: ! Yes it is, tinks, congrats!

Alamut (2006) is in Lorenzo Villoresi's lineup. Although this lush Oriental scent has collected less than enthusiastic reviews on perfume blogs and forums, I still think it's worth owning. What you ladies sniffed is the Eau de Toilette. Alamut comes also as EdP and perfume, and I would love to smell the more concentrated versions.

A special mention goes to wise Twolf and to *dora*, who PMed me the correct answer . Please join in from the start! We have still 2 more Orientals to discover

Let's move ahead to sample "B"!!

Congratulations to Tinker424 and to *dora*! See, it worked, you have been told YOU can do it!

Thanks to our wonderful Lady_in_Black for re-introducing this gem of a scent to me, I admit I chose in favor of Dilmun back in July when I was facing a tough choice between Alamut and Dilmun. Why is it always like this -- you get the one and another one is also so beauuuuuutiful! We are in a hard position here -- some e-tailers stopped carrying the whole line of Dr.Villoresi (I encourage everybody to read the interview with him taken by Magnifiscent!!! ), Aedes is about the only palce left.

What puzzled me in sample A was sandalwood, dry and powdery, done in the best classical French manner, so I became disoriented in the Orient. Hints and clues, though, were of utmost help, but honestly, I had to sniff real hard.

May I ask you a question, Lady_in_Black? Was it "the easist" of the three?

I fully agree on the dry and powdery sandalwood, T. And I wonder where all those opulent florals listed in the offical notes (osmanthus, rose, jasmine, exotic flowers, narcissus, tuberose,ylang ylang orange blossom!) do hide....that's why I am on the lookout to sniff the stronger concentrations.

May I ask you a question, Lady_in_Black? Was it "the easist" of the three?
    I guess that would be sample "C", but who knows....

Why is it always like this -- you get the one and another one is also so beauuuuuutiful! We are in a hard position here -- some e-tailers stopped carrying the whole line of Dr.Villoresi (I encourage everybody to read the interview with him taken by Magnifiscent!!! ),
    Congrats to the winner indeed and thanks to you lil sister for the mention
    Hey, skilled sniffers, did anyone of you note hints of carnation it it too? To me they were so prominent mixed with the muted spices...

Post #20: "Carnation? --Perhaps!" I guess, I did!

Who wants to start about Sample B?
    Last edited by Twolf; 13th September 2007 at 02:30 PM.

Post #20: "Carnation? --Perhaps!" I guess, I did!

Who wants to start about Sample B?
    Hehe... sorry for the oversight!
    After all aside my nose, who could have nailed it if not you hun!:toppie:

Wore the fragrance from vial B to bed last night. Reapplied in the morning again.

General: smells Boucheron-esque, edgy.

Color: medium golden yellow, the most intense yellow of the three.

Reminds me also of: Balenciaga Christobal (with Cristobal being sweeter), Rochas Absolu (with Absolu being tarter), Cartier Must (with Must being darker), Boucheron Trouble (with Trouble being more celebratory), Guerlain L'Instant (minus the magnolia note) and, finally, of Moschino Moschino (with Moschino being greener in the beginning).

Notes: mandarin or bitter orange, fig, pineapple, tagete (mums), pepper, cardamom, ginger, cloves, narcissus, jasmine, gardenia, honey, woods, vanilla, patchouli, amber, musk.

Development: seems like B is of classical composition used in Must de Cartier (fruity/floral subgroup of the Orientals), but instead of complex, the notes are a bit jumbled in the beginning. There is a delicious sweet fig/pineapple thingie going on too. I the middle B is more floral than anything else: see the florals above plus a good measure of nostril-tickling pepper (might be something like white pepper? pink pepper? peppercorns?). Gardenia has its peculiarities here: not transparent like I like it, but thick, almost solid, bitter and greasy and somehow paired with fresh cedar background (IMO, an unbalanced combination!). The base is woody-vanillic, and I think there is tonka bean present as well, but the whole drydown is not as well-crafted and thought over as the beginning and the middle. I would think of B as a cold weather fragrance, under the covers or on the fur, not for the theater but for comfort.

Imagery: mid November. An old kitchen with new cabinets, an old stained cookbook with pages missing. You open it up and instead of a cake recipe you were looking for, you find a dried flower between the pages still smelling of summer, its big flowerbed and buzzing bees.

Longevity: about 4 hours, dabbed or sprayed.

Adding***: Coty for a teen celebrity?
    Last edited by Twolf; 17th September 2007 at 07:03 AM.

Thanks T for this very complete impression

Reminds me also of: Balenciaga Christobal (with Cristobal being sweeter), Rochas Absolue (with Absolue being tarter), Cartier Must (with Must being darker), Boucheron Trouble (with Trouble being more celebratory), Guerlain L'Instant (minus the magnolia note) and, finally, of Moschino Moschino (with Moschino being greener in the beginning).
    I guess we're NOT smelling a unique and original fragrance, aren't we? But you forgot Shalimar (with Shalimar being brighter and drier) and Ambre à Sade (minus the shamelessly sugary fruit notes)

Kidding aside, the notes discovered are mandarin, cardamom, patchouli, vanilla and woods (sandalwood).

The official notes are quite misleading, IMO. I do also smell red berries and a honeyed narcissus note in there. And amber, of course

No-no to Coty - do I seem one to own a scent made for a teen celebrity?
    But there's some truth in what you speak.....

Right, the original concept of Shalimar is here minus the insence.

Coty -- I know you are NOT the person to wear anything like it, I was hesitant to post that last line, but I did because that's what it was smelling like in the course of the wear. I was not sure.

Is it in the Directory?

Dearest Twolfie, don't be angry, I wasn't referring to Coty but to the "scent made for a teen celebrity" part and I was joking on my age

Oh yes, it is in the directory....twice

B smells extemely similar to my Spark parfum! I even did a side by side comparison.
    I definitely get amber, vanilla, musk, honey and a tiny touch of cinnamon.

Tinks, nice to see you chiming in. Only dcfong is missing now!
    I didn't ever smell Spark, but I trust your nose

No honey, no musk and no cinnamon among the official notes....
    Hmmm, forgot to say that the notes are not listed in the directory.

And a question: twolf guessed something by Coty, tinks by Liz Claiborne (am I right here?)...if you were the marketing wizard at this house, at what price would you launch it? What type of packaging would you select?
    Last edited by Lady_in_Black; 14th September 2007 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Price at launch: $29.99 for 50ml, one year later can be found at e-discounters for $14.99 for the same bottle. That's why I am not this house's CFO, I guess.

Byblos?

I'm surprised no musk is listed...I found the middle musky notes so strong the 1st time testing I thought I would get sick Today it is quite nice!
    Is it I Profumi di Firenze's Vaniglia de Madagascar ?
    Last edited by tinker424; 15th September 2007 at 01:09 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Sorry, tinks, it isn't Vaniglia del Madagascar either but the vanilla is also very evident on my skin.
    Although we didn't hear dcfong's impressions yet, I'll give you a few further hints.

Sample B is sold at 46 USD for 1.7 floz Eau de Parfum, but there's currently a "buy one get one free" promo on the US site

The packaging is very soigné and classy if compared with their other scents: a mat white cardboard box with a tiny black rope and seal and a solid cylindrical bottle with a flat disc cap

Got it now, pmed Lady_in_Black the answer. It is quite nice on me too today!
    Last edited by Twolf; 15th September 2007 at 11:55 AM.

summer means fireflys

In your opinion, will Shadesofbleu enjoy this amber?
    I'm late to this party, as I'm just reading this thread today ... Thank you for thinking of me with the amber notes. I do have a sample of Alamut that I need to dig out and try again after reading this.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Of course! And, IMHO, sample B is ideal for musse! Sample C, however, is for Mr.Twolf!

While we are on it, would you like to blind sniff something, Shades, like Roses or Gourmands?

Me too...I think I've guessed the sample B!

It has been really fun following this game!

PM'd LIB my answer

I am delighted to have two of the most adorable blind sniffers playing in this round...tinks and twolf! Each one PM'ed me her answer privately, probably so that the other one - or some other non-sniffing player - could guess and win.

Yay! They are both winners!

Sample B was Yves Rocher Secret d'essences Voile d'Ambre. Released in 2005, this bright, orange-y amber-vanilla potion is inches above the other YR scents in terms of quality. Nice, cheap and unpretentious...some days I just have to wear such a scent

Top notes: green mandarin, cardamom
    Heart notes: myrrh, incense, opoponax
    Base notes: vanilla, patchouli, sandalwood

If my information is correct, the nose behind it is Olivier Pescheux, the gentleman who created also, among others, Gloria Vanderbilt Woman, Arpège pour Homme, Daliflor and co-authored the new YR Iris Noir.

Time to move on to sample C...this one will be as easy as a walk in the park, ladies

But I am missing our baby Basenoter dcfong...where are you, dear?

summer means fireflys

While we are on it, would you like to blind sniff something, Shades, like Roses or Gourmands?
    I'm not sure if I'm worthy but I am honored you asked ... I think the gourmands might be fun to blind sniff ...
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Already then! Does it mean that C can be purchased at a department store, comes from a relatively large house and has big bucks invested in adveritizing? Perhaps, a fancy bottle too! Me likey!

Hello again everyone!

My apologies for being MIA. I've been away from home without internet access. I'm now holed up in a cafe with a borrowed laptop. I feel I've been missing all the fun.

So, B is Voile d'Ambre? I would not have guessed. But yes, it did seem a very sweet, fruity, gourmand, vanilla-y amber. At first, the fruity notes (I did not get fig and pineapple but candied citrus, bubblegum, and then something like apricot or mango) were a bit annoying, but once it settled down, it was a nicely comforting scent.

So on to C. Would this be the department store one? I do not have it on at the moment since the weather is warm, and this one is a bit strong for me in the heat. I do have some preliminary notes with me, though. Again, it smells like something I've tried before. I initially sense citrus, perhaps lime, with vanilla and maybe something almond-y faintly in there. I can't quite sort out the middle notes. The base is again amber with some vanilla and woods, but not at all sweet - it's darker, rougher, and more masculine than the other two. I can't think of what it might be.

I'll try to chime in late tomorrow with more.

Wonderful description, dcfong! I also thought in the beginning that it is a masculine scent -- while sniffing out of a vial, but I dabbed some at pulse points today for work around 1pm and not only it opened up and bloomed on the skin, I am still catching C's whiffs.

I also have an idea about C's identity!
    This one will probably be automerged with the previous one:

OK, Lady_in_Black says that guessing Sample C's identity will be easy. Is that so? I also pmed another Basenoter with my guess and have not heard from her back, not yet.

Right after sniffing the vial when it first arrived I thought that C is woody, with patchouli and burning fire. I smell in images, and here I had a mental picture of purple grey flame with occasional sparkles in bright orange, burning steady and spreading the incensy burnt smell. I thought I needed to test it on Mr.Twolf's skin, but decided to try it on me first. So, yesterday I dabbed some -- what a difference from the vial the real skin made: I felt citrus (grapefruit, bergamot), honeyed red berries (something like cranberries or longonberries -- if I ever learn how to spell this last one!), spices were muted but there, amber, woods. It reminded me a bit of Sonia Rykiel (bright orange pullover), but it was more astringent, but still having this almost gourmand feeling backed up by the strong patchouli presence.For our lurkers: once you have figured out what patchouli is, it is love or hate relationship; but they add this smokey, earthy, rooty, chocolatey, woody and spicy feel to the scents, all at once! I searched the Directory, and my first instinct was: Bulgari Black -- that I have never smelled before, BTW. Like in every game, I strategize some: Black is still in Lady_in_Black's wardrobe, while the two previous scents were carefully removed, so it was not Black.

And then as the scent developed (***khm khm, I am using this term liberally, in fact there was not much of development!) it dawned on me: I know C! One of a kind, and there are no substitutes to it, and besides, remember, Lady_in_Black said it would be easy!

I will leave it for you to guess, dear readers!
    Last edited by Twolf; 16th September 2007 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I definitely love patchouli
    This time, I am keeping until tinks and dcfong speak up....

It smells similar to Angel Innocent!
    I must wait to give a proper sniff, I'm still smelling last nights Obsession on my PJ's.

"Easy", she said! Yeah right!

Here I go! Indeed, until this morning it DID smell like Thierry Mugler Angel to me. But C is not! Another application -- another set of impressions from here. No, it is not Angel. C is woodier, dryer, tarter, has pine needles and bark as well as plums, not as sweet as Angel and lacks Angel's plasticky note (now that I do not have my own bottle anymore, it is hard to tell!), and, overall, C is better! (Catching all tomatoes here from Angel weareres).

What can it be? The color of C is also NOT light blue or transparent white, it is light yellow! Somebody, please help us! If you know of any Angel Dupes, please point us in the Direction as to what to sniff for: more fruit, more spices, more woods, etc? There are not many floral notes in C, or rather, they (read "rose", like in A and B) may be well masked, one note comes out though: it is lily! Paired with patchouli and insence, and in general, there is something of Fath de Fath in it!
    Last edited by Twolf; 16th September 2007 at 03:16 PM.