Code of Conduct

Default Scent for a good first impression

Hey all, it's my first post. Been reading up, but I finally need some advice. A little background for you. I'm a freshman at Purdue in the engineering programm. Why that's important is because I ultimately want to go into acoustics, and there's only a handful of people on campus who are well experienced in the field. I have appointments tomorrow, thursday and friday. What I want to know is, what scent should I wear to make a good first impression? I have three scents with me here at school: BLV, D&G PH and M7. I've been giving the M7 a good run since it's been cooler out and I was afraid of taking my "signature" sent of GPH to school. Which of the three should I wear? I'm still thinking the M7 as it has a very strong presence to it, which might give off an air of confidence. The D&G is good because it simply smells wonderful no matter what you're doing, but I fear it might be too casual for this. The BLV is one of the best but worst scents I've ever owned, as it smells wonderful, but lasts about 4, maybe 5 seconds. What would you suggest? All three of these people have multiple doctorates, so I want to show them that I'm not wasting their time (with the research I've done), but I also want them to see that I am confident in my work. Thanks in advance

-Dave
    --------------------------------------
    And I have no idea why my country is set as Abu Dhabi, as I'm from Indianapolis.
    Last edited by pvsound; 12th September 2007 at 01:50 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Default Re: Scent for a good first impression

Welcome to Basenotes fellow Boilermaker! You probably don't want to hear this, but I suggest no scent at all to make a first impression. Just be clean, be confident, and be yourself. It's a rule of thumb I use for initial business meetings, interviews, etc. Demonstrating your familiarity and interest in the research of those with whom you are meeting will make a much more lasting impression as opposed to the scent you wear.

M7 is the one, but It's too good for non-aficcionados. It can shock. I would spray some BLV (which is refreshing and reminds me of a good shower), but with parcimony, of course.

Thank you for the replies. Thing is, these meetings ae very informal. I just want to have some references within the departments I'm interested in. Basically, I have nothing to lose, or better put, nothing can go wrong during these meetings. Literally as there is no direct outcome as I just want to get my name to those who are important. Plus, M7 in particular calms me down for some reason and allows me to relax. So, still no cologne do you think?

And Cavs, I guess I would be considered an aficionado as I love colognes and like using them for different occasions and seasons. However, I'm quite young so most people wouldn't expect that.

Welcome to Basenotes pvsound!
    My suggestion to you is, whatever you choose to wear for your frag that day, make sure that what they are aware of is YOU and not IT!
    The frag should be a fleeting passing illusion, not a statement.
    The person & what he can do is what you are selling, not how you smell.
    So make sure you are freshly showered with deodorant and then little or no scent.
    IMHO
    Hope you enjoy your time here at BN!!
    Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger. There is really nothing to be said about it. It is like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and that is all. W.SOMERSET MAUGHAM

Wear what you feel comfortable wearing, just don't overapply. Less is more.
    "I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best." - Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Welcome aboard first of all!
    About the scent, I'd go with Dolce&Gabbana PH, strong presence too but less sweet and lascivious.

Okay, well I had my meeting this morning. Went with the M7. Got lots of good references and contacts and have a followup in a few weeks. Best of all, on the way out he said "If you don't mind me asking, what cologne is that? It smells wonderful. Maybe my wife could buy me some." Lol I don't know if that's a good thing, but apparently it was well received regardless of the scent.