Code of Conduct

Smile Discontinued fragrances not listed on basenotes

I would like to compile here a list of fragrances that have been discontinued, but for one reason or another are not listed in the basenotes directory as discontinued.
    I hope this will be of benefit to all basenotes members.

Default Re: Discontinued fragrances not listed on basenotes

A list or individual posts should probably go here: Missing Fragrance List forum

I have just looked on the missing fragrance list forum, the majority of the fragrances listed are very new ones. It´s just my opinion, but wouldn´t it be better to have a seperate list for discontinued fragrances which have not yet been classified as discontinued in the basenotes directory.
    Listing discontinued together with new products is totally confusing.

How does one determine if a fragrance has been discontinued?
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Quote Originally Posted by dcampen View Post
    How does one determine if a fragrance has been discontinued?
    The best way is to contact the head offices of the firm representing the product, (in your particular country). This is the most reliable source. Otherwise, ask several local perfumeries to check if the fragrance is still being produced. Even if it has been discontinued suppliers may still be able to supply the product, so don´t just ask them if it can be ordered. Ask them specifically to check whether it is still being produced.
    If a certain perfume is being offered at a greatly reduced price, this is often the best indicator that it is no longer being produced. Still, you should ask the store to verify this.

The best way is to contact the head offices of the firm representing the product, (in your particular country). This is the most reliable source. Otherwise, ask several local perfumeries to check if the fragrance is still being produced. Even if it has been discontinued suppliers may still be able to supply the product, so don´t just ask them if it can be ordered. Ask them specifically to check whether it is still being produced.
    If a certain perfume is being offered at a greatly reduced price, this is often the best indicator that it is no longer being produced. Still, you should ask the store to verify this.
    My question was rhetorical and I would summarize your response as "there is no good way to determine if a fragrance has been discontinued".

So, another rhetorical question; has M7 Fresh been discontinued?
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Even if they're discontinued, this thread should still be in the Missing Fragrances List rather than in the main discussion forum. )
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Quote Originally Posted by dcampen View Post
    My question was rhetorical and I would summarize your response as "there is no good way to determine if a fragrance has been discontinued".

So, another rhetorical question; has M7 Fresh been discontinued?
    The way is good, very simple and conclusive, but does require a little effort on your part. If you get in touch with YSL representatives in your country they will tell you very precisely whether or not M7 Fresh is still in production or not.

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    It´s just my opinion, but wouldn´t it be better to have a seperate list for discontinued fragrances which have not yet been classified as discontinued in the basenotes directory?
    No (imho)

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    Good luck with that.

As the industry prefers to remain secretive about discontinuing certain products, an early and spontaneous alert by fellow BNs, and perfume bloggers in general, is always welcome. The question is, whether a certain procedure / place would be desirable for notifications. 'Missing Fragrances' within BN means missing from the directory. I wouldn't suggest to confuse matters by adding any discontinued to missing fragrances. Also, there is a form provided to report the missing ones. I have a vague idea about extending that form to include other modifications like 'discontinued perfumes', existing errors, date changes, perfume notes, etc. - a Wikipedia kind of common effort. Maybe I'll suggest something in the Community Centre

As it seems, the administration (Grant?) already updates the directory on a regular basis, including certified discontinuations. I only need to know how to design my query.
    The answer in this case is easy: go to Directory/Fragrance search/ click field Availability, and select Discontinued. Result = 2227 fragrances.
    I tried that in combination with House = 'Montale'. Result=zero fragrances (maybe the wrong example ??)
    Last edited by narcus; 14th September 2007 at 08:36 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I know this thread is super old but I'm looking for the best fragrance ever made that has been discontinued... For ex. Creed Cuir De Russie, Patou Pour Homme, Vintage Vetiver by Guerlain.

It could be argued by some that it could be one of those three in your list.

The "Best" is what you like. There are tons of discontinued frags, literally. Some say Vintage Tabarome but there are oodles out there.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    It could be argued by some that it could be one of those three in your list.
    True...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nersh View Post
    The "Best" is what you like. There are tons of discontinued frags, literally. Some say Vintage Tabarome but there are oodles out there.
    I have read a ton of amazing reviews on vintage Tabarome. I Would love to sample.