Code of Conduct

Default I saw a $1 Angel Men knockoff today!

Don't laugh.

After a stop by the Post Office to mail off some CDs, I spotted a Dollar Tree next door, "where everything's one dollar!". I went in, looked down the bath products aisle, and I saw a "Jean Phillipe Paris" knockoff... I mean "replica" of Angel Men. True to the Dollar Tree business model, it was only $1.

Surprisingly, I didn't buy it right there and then. First off, I was afraid that it could be worse than Agent Orange, as Angel Men is a tough scent to duplicate well. Plus, the fact that it was "made in China" despite the package also saying that the actual fragrance was made in the US didn't help, either.

Still, I might be back at Dollar Tree soon, as I would love to buy a bottle of this knockoff just to see how horrible it is. Even if I hated it, I would have only wasted one measly dollar in the process.
    Celebrating 10 years on Basenotes - and smelling better than ever

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Default Re: I saw a $1 Angel Men knockoff today!

Just how similar was the bottle to the original? Rubber with the blue glass angular star?
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Quote Originally Posted by Scentronic View Post
    Just how similar was the bottle to the original? Rubber with the blue glass angular star?
    Nope... it was plain glass with a plastic cap and a label with some weird graphics and the info. No star, no rubber.

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

I was in a no-name dollar store a few weeks ago and they actually had a counter with what appeared to be REAL fragrances, except their prices were OUTRAGEOUS and they would not budge one cent on them.

But back to the subject of $1 knockoffs - they had a display towards the front of the store with a bunch of them and much to my surprise the $1 version of RL Romance Silver when sniffed from the bottle smelled - pretty much like Romance Silver!

The best Angel Men knockoff is Diable Bleu by Lamis Creations. The scent is true to Angel Men actually even better.

Very long lasting and mega sillage...for 70% price!

Easy enough to concoct, I should think: two parts burned road tar, two parts scorched cocoa powder, one part dried dog poop.

Ah, the sweet smell of cheap success! Dollar stores, here we come!

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    Easy enough to concoct, I should think: two parts burned road tar, two parts scorched cocoa powder, one part dried dog poop.

Ah, the sweet smell of cheap success! Dollar stores, here we come!
    LOL! I knew you would say that given your immense distaste for Angel Men. After all, I was the one that took your 3.4 oz metal flask off of your hands (it's still in my collection to this day!).

There's a gas station I stop by nearly every day before I get to work in the morning, and they've got No.5 knockoffs, but my favorite of the collection has to be the "Giorgio" knockoff. To this day, I hate people calling Armani scents Giorgio thinking that they sound cool. This older couple came in to a Nordies I was at, and they kept saying "Well, Giorgio this, Giorgio that..." eventually, I recommended Mugler COLOGNE to them, and they loved it. And stopped talking about their stupid friend Giorgio.
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

can someone take pictures of the fakes?
    Thank you, deadidol

I've got a Lapidus Pour Homme one, but it smells more like One Man Show, so I wonder if it's supposed to be a knockoff of the earlier one (not the 1980s Lapidus Pour Homme). I've also got the Obsession for Men one. I bought a couple because I wanted to see what could be done for a dollar. They are great for a dollar. I sampled the Angel one (women's) and that might have been the best, though the Ed Hardy Men one was very good too (and seemed to have longevity; didn't buy it because I don't like the notes). The two I have don't have good longevity and are "thin," but not bad. The Obsession one is synthetic up top.

You can't go wrong with $1 for a bottle. I tried Jean-Phillipe's version of Lacoste Red, and I really liked it. It was a very good spicy woody citrus, quite well blended, and smelled good. I've never smelled Lacoste Red though, so I can't say if it smells true to the original.

The best knockoff I've tried is "Akthar Noir", which is an EAU DE PARFUM knockoff of Drakkar Noir. They're sold at Family Dollar and Big Lots for $3 for 3.4 oz. It's amazing stuff, and it smells exactly like the original powerhouse formulation of Drakkar from the 80s. I bought five bottles of the stuff. I'd pay $50 for a bottle, it's that good. I'm not joking here.
    Check out my blog Pour Monsieur, a no-nonsense guide to men's fragrances:
    http://pourmonsieurblog.blogspot.com/

Any fragrance that should not be worn in public, should be worn in public.

That Akthar Noir stuff is amazingly good.

I once had some "Adventure" knockoff of Safari for Men that was a darn near clone of the original thing. Burned throuugh the giant bottle in too short a time wish I'd bought more.

L' Illusion knockoffs which I don't know if they still make, are amazingly good for the money. I have Giorgio Beverley Hills, Polo, Cool Water and Tommy. They're not exact but complex long lasting scents.

The Jean Philippe stuff is hit or miss. Some are good. Some are bad. Some last long, some evaporate in minutes. Their Polo, which is not really like Polo, lasts fairly long for $1. Eternity is another good value. Their Drakkar is a bit more citrusy almost like English Blazer rather than the Akthar version which seems more true to the original but at $1 its a good air freshener if you like Drakkar. Polo Explorer wasn't very long lasting. I usually wear them if I'm only going out for an our or two and will be home the rest of the day as opposed to wearing something more expensive.

Big Lots has the Crystal Collection $1 ones, they're generally short lived but it varies from one to the next. They have another more upscale $3.50-5 line which are a bit better but more limited to popular contemporary stuff.