Code of Conduct

Default Catholic Fragrance?

What scents would you say are the most Catholic? Or evoke an image of Catholicism/Mass? I'm Catholic and I would say CdG's Avignon and Christian Lacroix's Tumulte do it for me. Tell me what you think!

Default Re: Catholic Fragrance?

Heeley's Cardinal!

Avignon for sure. Gucci Rush is a toned down (and more wearable for me) version.

Best regards,
    Mike

bleu autumn haze

Passage d'Enfer is the Catholic church for Easter High Mass. (Incense +lillies)

Oh, and I agree with Heeley Cardinal and Avignon ...
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Basenotes Institution

Messe de Minuit by ETRO: incense, but also the strangest moldy, mildewy concrete smell too (church-ish) and the slightest hint of melted candle wax mixed in too.

Incensi by Lorenzo Villoresi -- it's High Mass all over again (minus the guilt, shame, prayer cards and processionals).
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 13th September 2007 at 12:51 AM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Thrax

Monk by Mike Storer is a real nice one. Might also want to look into Black Cashmere by Donna Karan as well. It is marketed for women, but it is TOTALLY wearable for a man.

If by Catholic you mean, "universal and all embracing", I'd have to say the universal and all embracing, crowd pleaser, Green Irish Tweed. If you mean the smell of the Latin Church, I'd second Messe de Minuit.

Avignon without a doubt, and Armani Prive Bois d Encens in a close second

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Thrax View Post
    Monk by Mike Storer is a real nice one. Might also want to look into Black Cashmere by Donna Karan as well. It is marketed for women, but it is TOTALLY wearable for a man.
    I'll second the recommendation of Monk. This is the third thread this week I did so. Monk is really good incense as used in the Roman Catholic churches I've been to. I wish we Lutherans used incense, they might have kept me more interested.
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 13th September 2007 at 04:57 AM.

TOTALLY Gucci PH. I don't think I could smell it and not think of church.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Haven't yet tried Monk, but I have to second Thrax's choice of Black Cashmere. (n.b.: lots of ash in the censer here, so be forewarned about this dark, androgynous lady-man of the Church.)

Incensi is Easter Sunday with jubilant choirs and shiny-faced acolytes; Black Cashmere is Good Friday with silent mystery and plenty of dark incense. Incensi is morning Mass; Black Cashmere is solemn Vespers.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Versace Man for sure!
    Hail Mary.............................................. ....

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I would vote for Caron Parfum Sacré. It isn't all frankincense-and-myrrh, but that's the main idea, and all the florals and spices are basically there to enhance and support it. Remember, a lot of church incense has other scents besides the gum resins in it.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

I passed by L'Occitane the other day and tried the Amber fragrance and lotion and all I could think about was basilicas and monasteries. Pure incense with warmth!!!

Armani Bois D`Encens comes to mind.

CDG 2
    CDG 2 MAN
    Gucci PH

Etro Messe de Minuit .. its not for little boys
    -

l"Occitane's Eau des Baux for sure--incense and cedar, knights Templar, the Grail--this one has it all (and smells great, too)

Eau des Baux is a very good one IMO. Wish it was a litle less vanilla in the drydown, but I am not going to complain for 40$.

When I got Avignon I didn't really even know the smell of church incense, never having been inside a church but as soon as I smelled it I *got it*

Avignon indeed, Avignon indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    I would vote for Caron Parfum Sacré. It isn't all frankincense-and-myrrh, but that's the main idea, and all the florals and spices are basically there to enhance and support it. Remember, a lot of church incense has other scents besides the gum resins in it.
    This would be my choice also.
    It possesses a solemn beauty, meditative quality and that wonderful incense backdrop.
    Spiritual and receptive.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Donna Karan's Black Cashmere

Here's an avatar for you Alice

I would go for CdG 2 MAN and Gucci PH. CdG reminds me more of the Catholic Churches than the Gucci. The moment I first tested it I felt my self in one of the catholic or orthodox churches in Turkey.

Also, if no one has already mentioned it, Opium homme edp! Which is what I'm wearing to
    Mass today.

I REALLY LOVE the smell of churches and chatedrals, it inspires me an instant peace. One of my "holy grail" fragances is AVIGNON by Comme des garçons: a powerfull frankincense perfume reminiscent of the age of Crusades, witchcraft, medieval castles and the legends of Santiago's Road. It smells like the "botafumeiro" of Santiago de Compostela in Spain.

Etro MESSE DE MINUIT is another masterpiece but, for me, is very difficult to wear because it smells like mossy walls, dusty bookstores and ancient books. In my opinion, Messe the Minuit is much more gloomier than Avignon.
    Last edited by Beau Garçon; 17th September 2007 at 10:03 AM.

An obscure one from a goth fragrance line sold here in Germany (parfume noire).It's called Styrax origin Storax amber and from what I can tell is just pure styrax essence, quite wonderful, all natural, and not too expensive at 23 EUR.

Quite churchy, styrax is in fact still a major incense in the greek-orthodox church. Parfume noire also have one called Olibanum templis which would be the thoroughly Catholic version.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    An obscure one from a goth fragrance line sold here in Germany (parfume noire).It's called Styrax origin Storax amber and from what I can tell is just pure styrax essence, quite wonderful, all natural, and not too expensive at 23 EUR.

Quite churchy, styrax is in fact still a major incense in the greek-orthodox church. Parfume noire also have one called Olibanum templis which would be the thoroughly Catholic version.
    Never seen that, where to get it?

I got it on a special offer from ebay. This is their normal website, currently down, but with a link to an online beauty store where they list their stuff, too. All in German, I'm afraid.

http://www.celtic-circle-productions.com/
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Frankincense & Myrhh by C&S is not as "churchy" as it might seem, but should be in the mix anyway, especially around Christmas time. If you can get them, their "burning sticks" (incense) are a wonderful way to enjoy C&S's fragrances.