Code of Conduct

Default Fierce by Abercrombie...wait wait keep reading

I have heard so many women say they think this smells so damn good..."like sex" as one put it...i couldnt believe it...what is the big deal......but really what is the big deal...i mean i know women have different olfactory glands(better from what i understand) but is there some sort of pheremone or what...does anyone know the notes.?

Thrax

Default Re: Fierce by Abercrombie...wait wait keep reading

It's just the P.O.S. effect. (Power Of Suggestion)

a) Do the girls in the question wear Abercrombie often and think it's cool?
    b) Did they know it was Abercrombie they were smelling?
    c) Do they think those abdominal specimens they plaster all over Abercrombie walls look like sex?

Wear any cologne you have and if you tell these girls it's from Abercrombie...even if they know it isn't fierce...and they'll think it's several degrees hotter. Because, duh, Abercrombie is cool.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

im not talking girls...im talking grown women...its wierd because its also like aqua di gio...women love it...i dont get it! I dont really care if they like it...im not gonna wear it, but i just thought it was pretty funny....it might be that there were abs on the bottle idk...but how do you explain mediocre di gio then?

I'm really curious about this one. A Thai man on the message board said it smells very nice. I think I'll have to buy this one blind.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Quote Originally Posted by jdnba View Post
    im not talking girls...im talking grown women...its wierd because its also like aqua di gio...women love it...i dont get it! I dont really care if they like it...im not gonna wear it, but i just thought it was pretty funny....it might be that there were abs on the bottle idk...but how do you explain mediocre di gio then?
    It's probably just familiarity. I sometimes forget that people are very much prone to living by routine and sticking to what they know. I don't get it...I make it a point to try as many diverse options as I can get access to, not just in perfume but in all areas of life. Makes it more fun, IMO. But for most people, give them what they know. Everyone knows Fierce because it's blasted out of Abercrombies everywhere. ADG...well, it's ADG. Who doesn't know it? So they're sexy. You aren't rocking the boat by liking them. You fit in. It's a grand self-reinforcing loop! The more popular it is, the more comfortable people are in saying they like it, and so it becomes more popular still.

Another case in point: my girlfriend insists that NOTHING smells better than Escada Magnetism. Yeah, it smells good, but you know what else? It just happened to be the only cologne I owned when we started dating, so she knows it well. You think that's a coincidence? Once, she thought my Cuiron smelled like Abercrombie. She said I smelled great. I told her that it's Helmut Lang and that it's supposed to smell like leather. Nary a positive comment on it after that.

I am not arguing that Fierce or ADG are bad scents. I'm just saying that maybe their hotness factors and popularity are somewhat artificially inflated by silly human nature.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 13th September 2007 at 06:58 AM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I don't think it's all just familiarity... Why do you think ADG become a popular cologne? Why do you think women love it in the first place, before it's known everywhere? I do think that ADG is a very good scent. In fact, it's the scent that threw me into this hobby. I think Armani created a very original aquatic scent, we've seen numerous copies of it, but lets face it, none of them smells quite as good. ADG is very MEMORABLE for an aquatic scent. I remember falling in love with it after a couple of whiffs. We all hate it nowadays because of its popularity but back then it was killer...
    I do agree with the whole A&F thing but Fierce IS another good scent...Girls wouldn't just stick up even with A&F if the cologne stinks...so there are many factors contributed to this.

I really dislike Fierce. This guy at work wears it and it's just way too tenacious and annoying. The first time he wore it, it reminded me of Cartier Declaration and I kind of liked it. But after that I grew to hate it. It's just so damn strong-- every time that dude walks through, you have to deal with his "wake".

The other day I said to a female coworker "Man, that guy's cologne sucks" and she said "I know, I was just about to say the same thing!"

Don't understand the appeal with Fierce.

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    I really dislike Fierce. This guy at work wears it and it's just way too tenacious and annoying. The first time he wore it, it reminded me of Cartier Declaration and I kind of liked it. But after that I grew to hate it. It's just so damn strong-- every time that dude walks through, you have to deal with his "wake".

The other day I said to a female coworker "Man, that guy's cologne sucks" and she said "I know, I was just about to say the same thing!"

And what were you wearing at the time?

Dple, I do agree that there are more factors than just bandwagoning here. At one point, it was adopted for its merits. But that was a long time ago now, and there have been many additions to ADG's genre since then. At this point, people keep buying it because people keep buying it. Maybe I'm just biased though. I really don't like it. Too sour.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    And what were you wearing at the time?
    I think I was wearing D&G Masculine at the time-- which is a scent that I know this girl likes. She was talking about HIS cologne that she disliked.

The first time I smelled Fierce I thought it was OK-- but it's just one of those that wears out its welcome very quickly.

I agree with most of what has been said.

Marketing, the power of suggestion, familiarization, and the fact that age group the Abercrombie scents are marketed to really isn't exposed to many fragrance choices, imo...Think about it, how many fragrances were popular in high school? Just a few. And although they didn't follow trends quite as much as the clothes, the girls recognized the smells of not only Abercrombie Woods (in my HS days), but Acqua di gio, Polo Sport, etc. even if they couldn't name them, and thought that they were the greatest smells in the world - probably because they had positive associations with the guys that wore them.

Abercrombie colognes remind the wearer and the girls of the store itself, which is an exciting trendy experience to shop at (or at least Abercrombie would have us believe so) and I'm sure this adds to the appeal.

Personally, I LOVE Abercrombie Woods and Abercrombie Signature...two great colognes from my HS days. Both are now discontinued and are selling for almost $200 a bottle on ebay. I think this is not only due to the scarcity of the product itself, but the fact that these were some great scents that many people in my age group have very positive nostalgic associations with. I REALLY wish Abercrombie would reissue these!

So I like them, and I can see why today's girls like today's Abercombie scents.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Fierce is great cologne I got a lot of compliments for women of different age. It's not niche but is very well done fragrance.
    Right now I think that I have all the fragrances that I want.

If it smells anything like Declaration, I bet it does.

I really dislike Fierce. Don't understand the appeal with Fierce.
    Not a fan of this either.

I get more compliments with this one than any other bottle I have. I don't really like wearing it anymore though. Just sprayed some on my wrist after reading this thread and it has a strange unappealing almost grape? musky vibe. I don't recall it smelling this way so my bottle may have gone bad, I don't know. I do know I bought it before I got into fragrances and stored it in the bathroom for awhile, and its probably only 3 years old or so, so it should still be good.

Fierce does smell good. It's a bit overused, especially if you have visited your local mall antime in the last ten years, then Fierce starts to smell kind of dated. But basically it is very nice to smell.

whoa, 4 year old bump there...
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

this stuff is definitely over rated and over priced in my opinion. its too synthetic with chemicals over bearing my nose and i have read here in one the notes that it contains some chemical, which the FDA is not happy with!

Fierce is the fragrance that got me started on Basenotes and "the journey". No matter how far I delve into niche, with all those fancy pancy ingredients, I still come back to Fierce. So what if it's synthetic smelling? It smells amazing to me, simples!

p.s it's still 9th in my all-time favourites.

So, when I have smelled this on other guys in public, I had times where I thought it smelled amazing, other times where it smelled very good, and, for some reason, other times where I didn't care for it. This is puzzling - Not a huge believer in skin chemistry, but it must be at work here.

I think there might be some hype aspect to it, but I think it generally smells very good. Say what you want, but women have liked this scent on me. Some, who I told what the scent was, and others who didn't know what I was wearing. My only regret is the extreme popularity of it...As strange of a reason as it is, it is a big reason why I don't wear it that often.

I dont understand the hate for this fragrance. Yes it is common, yes you can smell it yards away from the store. As people have mentioned, its popularity can probably be attributed to its recognizability. Although I find it overpriced and a little boring, I think it smells pleasant.
    Time to musk up.

AromiErotici

I recently tried this after a local friend of mine stopped by to try some classics. He brought over a few bottles of his favorites and one of them was Fierce.

I found myself completely ambivalent to it. I didn't hate it, but it reminded me of something that no real effort or artistry went into. It was just "there" and had a chemical vibe to it.

If it's any consolation to those that love it, my friend literally hated all my classics and almost ran to the sink after trying vintage Santal Noble.

You can smell this stuff at the other end of Saville Row ever since A&F moved in at one end. No matter how good a fragrance may be that is taking aggressive marketing too far!
    ďA person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.