Code of Conduct

Question Which one to choose?

Hi all,

(Little Intro) If you don’t have 3 minutes or want to save time, please scroll down to my actual question ..)

1st post here,

I got to admit I'm pretty new to really looking ''deeper'' into fragrances, for the last few years I pretty much looked at the ''Top Ten male fragrances'' list to see what I was going to buy.
    Which meant; I didn't smell it at all sometimes, I didn’t look for how long the frag would last on my skin, and if it even suited me in the 1st place.

Looking back...I think I wasted pretty much around 350 dollar on fragrances which I bought based on either:

-It having a beautiful bottle design

-It having a great ad campaign

Or one that was known to be popular..

Now to mention to of those (for me) big disappointments:

CK ONE, this one REALLLY didn’t work on my skin, and while it had a beautiful ad campaign and it smelled good in the bottle  …it took 2 days for my sister to put aside her good manners and made the comment that the fragrance smelled horrible on me.. bang, 47 bucks gone..

My second and biggest disappointment of al was Jil Sander Pure for men, It smelled nice in the store. But it seems to have a lasting power (on me at least) of about 5 minutes…which makes it a pretty expensive toilet freshener at best… bang, 48,. Bucks lighter…

After that buy I decided I was going to put more research into fragrances before buying one.
    I tested frags for lasting power, if it matched to my skin and even did research on most brands.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My question is ...

Right now my collection is this:

Chanel – Allure Homme Sport (My best buy yet)
    Marc Jacobs – Marc Jacobs for men
    Armani - Acqua Di Gio
    Boss - Boss Bottled

But I’m looking for a new fragrance to add to my collection.

It should have some lasting power, I’m a student and it’d be nice if it lasted for a school day since I don’t like to take those beautiful fragrance bottles to school for a re-spray after the first half of the day..

More importantly to me, is that it is somewhat exclusive…I mean, when I wear Acqua Di Gio, I can pretty much guess that there are 2 to 4 other guys in my class wearing the same fragrance…

So…it’s got to be somewhat exclusive..
    Some other KEYwords: Masculine, confident, warm (winters coming up), classy,
    We all know Tom Ford, that kind of charisma…

By the way. I’m a 21 year old student, so the fragrance shouldn’t be TOO classic also…

I have 4 fragrances in mind from which I could choose, these are:

Terre d'Hermès (I’m Really Really leaning towards this one…)

Envy for Men by Gucci

Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme

Gucci pour Homme

So, I think I’m going to try to choose between those /\, Of course I’m very open to other suggestions… so feel free to suggest others…

Right now I’m leaning towards Terre d'Hermès, it’s certainly pretty exclusive in my country and city especially, add to that that I love how original the scent is…I just cant say; oh it smells like…. It just doesn’t smell like anything else I’ve smelled..

I would love to get some advice from people who probably know much more about this then I do…so any advice is very Very welcome..

Thanks a lot in advance,

Default Re: Which one to choose?

Terre d'Hermes with Gucci PH/Envy then D&G following
    "I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best." - Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Follow your instinct! I think that Terre D'Hermes is the best for you from among your short list. It satisfies all your criteria: unique, quality, longevity, and modern. Having said this, I think you would be really impressed if you had a chance to try Hermes Equipage. It is a classic scent without smelling "dated," and after many years it remains exclusive, modern, unique, and of very high quality. It is also warmer than Terre D'Hermes, thinking about our approaching winter. Escada Pour Homme, and Laura Biagiotti Roma Uomo all could also fill this bill.
    Last edited by wicozani; 14th September 2007 at 04:34 AM.

Thanks so much for the advice, I've looked for other Hermes fragrances like Equipage, but came to the conclusion that they weren't sold here...Only Terre d'Hermes is available…Very sad because I saw they have much more fragrances, also for men… I realise that my list is short by the way.. so don’t feel bound to only those four, if you know a great one that really stands out, please say so..

Thanks again

From the four, Terre d'Hermès...
    A write in vote for Frank No 1
    By all means....sample first!!!

Good luck,
    Mike

D&G PH and Gucci PH are the ones I know and like that you mentioned. Those are good choices. I'll also throw in Burberry Brit and Bulgari Black. I think they fit what you are looking for nicely.

Smile Re: Which one to choose?

From the 4 you mentioned I only have Dolce & Gabbana, and it's quite an exquisite scent, however, it lacks longevity (on me at least.) I do recommend Rive Gauche by Yves Saint Laurent; it exudes youth and masculinity. Good luck choosing!
    "A ti que te consuelas con cubrirte de Chanel las huellas de mis besos." - Arjona

Allright I've bought Terre D'Hermes yesterday, god I love that fragrance,..it doesnt smell like anything else I've smelled...

Thanks alot for the tips guys,

I'll have a look at that Rive Gauche also, after all, you can never have enough,

terre d´hermes definetely and than gucci pour homme ( or envy your 21 - i am 38 ).

you could also try ( all very longlasting too )

Guerlain Vetiver & Heritage
    Kiton Men
    Rive Gauche & M7 YSL
    Antaeus & Egoiste Chanel
    Dior Homme
    "Wow, I've never smelled anything like that before."

Go for the Terre D`Hermes.

Quote Originally Posted by paulchristian View Post
    Allright I've bought Terre D'Hermes yesterday, god I love that fragrance,..it doesnt smell like anything else I've smelled...

Thanks alot for the tips guys,
    Good to hear, and congratulations! I think you made an excellent choice, as you're now finding out. I think that Terre D'Hermes can be worn year-round, and in most situations. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by sanatik View Post
    terre d´hermes definetely and than gucci pour homme ( or envy your 21 - i am 38 ).

you could also try ( all very longlasting too )

Guerlain Vetiver & Heritage
    Kiton Men
    Rive Gauche & M7 YSL
    Antaeus & Egoiste Chanel
    Dior Homme
    Thnks a lot!

I'll check those names also..
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by wicozani View Post
    Good to hear, and congratulations! I think you made an excellent choice, as you're now finding out. I think that Terre D'Hermes can be worn year-round, and in most situations. Enjoy!
    Thanks!, yeah I think it can be worn year around too, but the lady at the fragrance store said it was a summer scent :S.....wich seemed a bit weird to me because it think Terre is a very warm kind of scent... (to me at least) and it would seem logical to have a fresher scent in summer ....or is that just me?

Im still learning about this though..
    Last edited by paulchristian; 3rd October 2007 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Aqua di gió and Terre de Hermes.
    The best ones.
    Read my perfume reviews at: http://perfumenoparatodos.blogspot.com/

Digital art portfolio: www.dreamlandpostcards.com