Code of Conduct

Default zino davidoff...to buy or not to buy

i would like to know if this would be a good blind buy...some info guys please

Default Re: zino davidoff...to buy or not to buy

Try it first.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Zino is one of my favorites scents. Gothic, dark and rich. And it can usually be had on the cheap (picked up 3 1oz bottles at Marshalls for $10/each).
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    Zino is one of my favorites scents. Gothic, dark and rich. And it can usually be had on the cheap (picked up 3 1oz bottles at Marshalls for $10/each).
    really...at the marshalls by me they normally have really reject type frags...like quarum, azzarro and other stuff nobody really likes...thats awesome man...the only good thing i have found there was very cool by tommy bahama and i kick myself for not buying gucci ph 1 oz.(which i had never seen in that size) at such a cheap price

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

Shouldn't buy this blind.

gupts

Is anything really a safe blind buy? I mean, that would mean it's a fragrance that everyone likes, and I don't think there is such a thing.

If you can find it cheap at Marshall's like manicboy suggests, I say go for it. Otherwise.. I dunno, it's distinctive, but not exactly bizarre or shocking (or polarizing, like M7), so there are certainly worse blind buys.. meh. Are you a gamblin' man?

Blind buys are great, if it's a small bottle, 50ml or less, and it's a great deal - $20 or less. Why not? Zino is "high 80's", but it is so well done. Worst case scenario: re-gift it.

BUY it I love it! Its awesome! And Capt. Jack Sparrows favorite scent I might add!

thanks men....i am a bit of a sporting fellow, but ive been burned by the blind buy before...thanks for all the advice!

This is a great scent but i would test before you buy.

If you are a fan of light fragrance, then I thinkt that you wouldn't like it that much, but if you like heavy, full fragrances and if you like 80's fragrances then you might like it.

I believe Perfume Worldwide has samples of this for $2.99 shipped to your door.
    "I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best." - Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

I have a large bottle of Zino on my swap list -- just click on the scent bottle icon to the right of my user name.

I like ZD very much (very dark, very heavy and Gothic, yes) but have to thin things out around here before my frags take over the entire top of the freakin' bureau! (I sometimes think my frags boff at night while I sleep, thus creating whole new generations of little scent-babies for me to deal with.)
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 14th September 2007 at 12:44 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    I have a large bottle of Zino on my swap list -- just click on the scent bottle icon to the right of my user name.

I like ZD very much (very dark, very heavy and Gothic, yes) but have to thin things out around here before my frags take over the entire top of the freakin' bureau! (I sometimes think my frags boff at night while I sleep, thus creating whole new generations of little scent-babies for me to deal with.)

So THAT"S where those mini's of "FCUK Him/Mitsuoko" are coming from...
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

I bought the 30ml. Zino Davidoff blind a couple months ago and really like it a lot. Look forward to wearing it more in the cooler months.

Quote Originally Posted by Xplo View Post
    Is anything really a safe blind buy? I mean, that would mean it's a fragrance that everyone likes, and I don't think there is such a thing.
    Words of wisdom for sure. And even if there was such a thing as a frag that everybody "likes"...you'll find that just "liking" a frag may not be enough for you to want to wear it a lot, especially as your collection grows...you will only be satisfied with frags that "knock your socks off"...and those are VERY hard to score on blind buys.

IMO Zino is one you should test first.

Best regards,
    Mike
    Last edited by Mikey Q; 14th September 2007 at 02:45 PM.

Smile Re: zino davidoff...to buy or not to buy

without knowing anything of your interests a blind recommendation would be irresponsible, so you should try it first. However, I'll say a few things.. it's the kind of scent (rose chypre) that most people could at least tolerate, even if it's not their thing, so in this sense i think it's as safe a blind buy as you could find. A vetiver for instance, is much more polarizing and a "love it or hate it" type of parfume. Therefore I could never speak w the same confidence about a vetiver as a blind buy no matter how good i thought it was. I bought blind a 4.2 (!) fluid ounce bottle of Zino for 30-35 dollars blind from an online site (a more or less typical price) with this logic and was not disappointed. In fact, it's one of my favorite scents ever esp for the cost, but i'm sure you've read enough reviews so I won't repeat praise here you've surely read elsewhere.
    Last edited by infinitymarbles; 14th September 2007 at 06:55 PM.

I love this one but even I think that you should try it first as it is really unique.

I love it, but some people were reporting that the formula has been changed some time ago and that newer version is not as good. I might be mistaken though.
    I would not buy anything blind. Unless it were terribly cheap and highly sought after by many oethers, so that I could give it or swap it.

Quote Originally Posted by jdnba View Post
    really...at the marshalls by me they normally have really reject type frags...like quarum, azzarro and other stuff nobody really likes...thats awesome man...the only good thing i have found there was very cool by tommy bahama and i kick myself for not buying gucci ph 1 oz.(which i had never seen in that size) at such a cheap price
    Hmmmmm. "Really reject type frags like quaram (sic), azzaro and other stuff nobody really likes." Really? And you actually LIKE the Tommy Bahama frag? In that case, my guess is that you will hate Zino, as it is much more of the style of the first two than the TB.

If you have to ask, you don't deserve it.

I'm kidding, but only kinda. There are a million reviews of this unique classic here, not to mention numerous threads. If the TONS of information here don't give you at least the vaguest "sense of the scent" and if you're afraid you won't like it, don't buy it. As mentioned, there's no such thing as a safe blind buy, but in part, that's what the reviews and threads are here for--to help you get an idea of the scent and what most guys think about it.

IMO, this is one of the finest mainstream scents ever released and I'll NEVER be without it.

Honestly, with all the information here about this scent, it's almost difficult to characterize it as a "blind" purchase.
    Last edited by Butthead53; 16th September 2007 at 04:16 AM.

Everyone should own a bottle of Zino, if for no other reason than that it's rich and intriguing in such a way as to provide a useful dynamic, a sort of quasi-reference point for ....? something.

It can be a little milky, but it's a quality fragrance, wearable, with a solid base and adequate drydown.
    Last edited by pluran; 16th September 2007 at 01:44 PM. Reason: ceres