Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Tom Ford for Men Extreme - a mini review

Today I thought it would be a nice idea to reward myself to a fragrance purchase (or two), for reaching a personal goal that I made a while ago.

I was not happy with Tom Ford for Men (even after 3 full wearings). But I still hadn't had a chance to test the second product in the line, Tom Ford for Men Extreme.

I called ahead to Saks Fifth Avenue (Bal Harbour) to see if they had the Tom Ford for Men Extreme in the store, and the SA told me yes. I raced over (during lunch) and when I got there and made it past the large group of SA's ('Sir, would you like to try the new Bond No. 9 exclusive to Saks..', 'No, thank you I already smelled it and I don't like it...do you have the new Tom F...' 'Really, everyone likes them, well then you must try the new Armani Attitude!', 'No thank you, I tried it but it doesn't work on my skin..I'm here to see the new Tom Ford!'.

I finally got to the Tom Ford counter. I saw the TFFM regular tester and asked to see the Extreme tester. The very helpful SA looked and looked and she couldn't find it. She had a small tester of the Extreme, but absolutely no Extreme in stock to sell me (WTF?!) At this point my fangs were slightly bared. I mean, I called Saks ahead of time...right?. She apologized profusely and left me alone with the Extreme tester. It was a little teensy tester, glass atomizer with the label stuck on for Tom Ford Extreme. Very strange, but hey, I finally had it in my hot little hands.

My thoughts:

- The initial top notes smell nothing like TFFM (which to me, is a good thing, if you read my review of it on the other thread). I can't even believe they're marketing these under the same name!? I had heard this from another Basenotes member, who told me to make sure I tested the Extreme because he thought it was much different than the regular, and it is.
    - Once the bracing, slightly turpentine-ish initial effect faded, a musk note appeared that took on a much more smooth, sophisticated character. My initial impression was of a few things: leather shoe store (you know like the smell of Florsheim with all of those leather shoes on display?), shoe polish, tobacco (not smoke - tobacco, there's a difference) and musk (a very dry, very textured musk...animalic in a 'fur coat' kind of way).
    - The leather/shoe shine/tobacco/musk combo is pretty much where TFFME stays for quite some time. But oh, what a place it is. Just as nice as any of Tom Ford's Private Blends that I tested. I would compare it to the 'feel' of Tobacco Vanille, Oud Wood and/or Tuscan Leather - but, TFFME is different enough to have its own signature smell
    - The oud note popped up here and there. Oud and I have a love/hate relationship. I either love scents with oud (Black Oud) or they kind of gross me out (M7). TFFME has oud in it, but it is peeking out from underneath the olfcatory blanket of musk. So, this works perfectly to keep the medicinal/burnt effervescent rubber note in check. At certain points I'd take a sniff of my arm and 'get' the oud note strongly (which had me worried - I thought it would have an M7-ish drydown), and then the very next sniff, the oud would be gone and it was just musk. Quite magical.
    - The drydown is when the regular Tom Ford for Men notes arrived. Lemon oil, not quite as sharp as the top notes of TFFM, and the musk mixes with the lemon so that its musky lemon oil. Then the more synthetic 'musk' basenotes arrive with a little bergamot (or some other herb) thrown in. When TFFME dries down completely, and it is gone, it's gone. This is the same thing that happens with the regular. However, by the time this happened I was sufficiently wowed by the journey to the basenotes drydown, so I didn't mind.
    - TFFME shares the similar style as his Private Blend scents: Very formal (this is not the scent for casual wear), sophisticated and wonderful sillage. It almost makes me wonder if this juice was slated to be put out under the Private Blends line and Tom snagged it for his own scent? In fact, I will even go as far as saying TFFME smells like something Tom Ford himself would wear.
    - I didn't get to see the bottle of TFFME (I think its a different bottle..?) but the box is gold (not black, like TFFM). Also prices could not be found (you know these SA's...'Oh, I think it's $90, but I'm not sure...' ???).
    - Based upon this first sniff, I could easily see owning TFFME, and it becoming a 'go to' scent for my Fall/Winter 2007.

I'd love to hear others comments from those who have tested TFFME. So guys, get to Saks already!!

Default Re: Tom Ford for Men Extreme - a mini review

Thanks for that review...I'll be on the lookout for the Extreme. Of course I will smell the original. If the orginal is as disappointing as reported than it will join D&G Light Blue Pour Homme, Fahrenheit 32 and others for this year.

Fragrance On

Otto
    Last edited by Otto; 14th September 2007 at 09:45 PM.

So there is hope!!! I'm pumped!!! Here come the warm jets!

Did the Saks SA indicate when TFFME would be available for purchase ?

Chris

According to Now Smell This...the release date is November for the Extreme...don't know how much weight that info holds.

Fragrance On

Otto

To temper my initial let down with Tom Ford for Men, I sprayed one shot of Tom Ford - Tobacco Vanille this morning. It was 55 here this morning, and in the crisp morning air, Tobacco Vanille sings a beautiful song. Looking forward to wearing this one alot this fall/winter. I am not going to give up on Tom Ford for Men either. I need to learn to be a bit more patient. I am still let down, but will give it some more full wearings before judging it any further. But Tobacco Vanille is a powerful, long lasting, beautiful scent...and I loved this one at first sniff. Man, I love crisp fall mornings.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by fishercb View Post
    Did the Saks SA indicate when TFFME would be available for purchase ?

Chris
    She expects it in the Saks here next week.

If I remember, some of the San Francisco Basenoters said their Saks had both the regular and Extreme in stock.

whats with a million tom ford scents coming out at once? i sure hope it doesnt "play out" his brand image...

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    ... I would compare it to the 'feel' of Tobacco Vanille, Oud Wood and/or Tuscan Leather - but, TFFME is different enough to have its own signature smell
    - The oud note popped up here and there. ..
    I'm glad it has the combination of my only three fav. private blends...& the oud would make it my fav evere....
    Thanks Mike for your review... Iwas really waiting for it

I'm trying to figure which is the one to wait for the edt or the extreme version. I've been trying to read the posts but I'd like some clarification.
    Thanks

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by graffham View Post
    I'm trying to figure which is the one to wait for the edt or the extreme version. I've been trying to read the posts but I'd like some clarification.
    Thanks
    If you mean, which one do I think you should buy (when its released), I think the Extreme. Definitely.

You hit the nail on the head!
    Thank you

I have called several Saks locations including the NY 5th Ave store and the San Francisco store and no one has the Extreme for sale as yet. Everyone is saying Oct/Nov for general availability. I did try the regular version and I have to say I am not impressed. It's okay I suppose but nothing unique. It's very light and not very long lasting.

regards,
    Chris

I did try the regular version and I have to say I am not impressed.
    Chris
    Neither was i.

Black Orchid is another story. Amazing.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Basenotes Institution

I have called several Saks locations including the NY 5th Ave store and the San Francisco store and no one has the Extreme for sale as yet. Everyone is saying Oct/Nov for general availability. I did try the regular version and I have to say I am not impressed. It's okay I suppose but nothing unique. It's very light and not very long lasting.

regards,
    Chris
    It's so very confusing...kind of frustrating actually.

The official press release (back in June) said that the Extreme would be released in mid-November. Then an SA (at Neimans) told me it would be released in September at the same time that the regular is released. THEN when a Basenoter posted on here that the TFFM was already in the Saks stores, I asked him if they had the Extreme and he said yes. When I tested it last week, they told me they had the Extreme but they were out-of-stock. She told me the Extreme was going to be in, in one week. I called today and now they're saying it won't be in stock until October.

So, there you have it: Full on release/SA confusion, as far as I can see.

Basenotes Institution

When I was at Neiman's last night the SA told me they'd be getting Tom Ford for Men Extreme in next week. Kind of surprised me, because everyone was saying November...but he said the order had already been placed (he showed me the paperwork they have in the store) and in the shelf the slot next to the Tom Ford for Men bottles had been cleared and emptied to make room for the Extreme bottles.

:bounce:
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Banned

Great news! Did they say anything about it truly being "limited edition"?, just wondering. I cannot wait to go to Neimans, was planning on going down next week anyway. Plan on picking up this along with some coco mademoiselle for the ol' mum (gave her a sample and she loved it)

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by NEoTY26 View Post
    Great news! Did they say anything about it truly being "limited edition"?, just wondering. I cannot wait to go to Neimans, was planning on going down next week anyway. Plan on picking up this along with some coco mademoiselle for the ol' mum (gave her a sample and she loved it)
    Limited edition? As far as I know, the Extreme was never being marketed as a limited edition. Was it?

-- Jack Kerouac

Banned

Limited edition? As far as I know, the Extreme was never being marketed as a limited edition. Was it?
    Yep, as it says on the website: http://tomford.com/en/default.aspx?f...4-de1402287785

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by NEoTY26 View Post
    Well I guess it is. That's news to me.

If Mr. Ford's own site is saying this, than I'm sure it's correct and the Neiman's SA's wouldn't know any more...

In this case - I guess I better get my bottle quickly and perhaps pick up a backup bottle.

-- Jack Kerouac

Any further news on the Extreme version and its availability?

awesome review Mike, you'll have me at the Saks (at mall adjacent to work) tomorrow trying it on for size.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by rentboy View Post
    awesome review Mike, you'll have me at the Saks (at mall adjacent to work) tomorrow trying it on for size.
    Thanks K, call ahead to make sure they have it. Some SA's have used up all of their small testers and/or they're hiding them.

-- Jack Kerouac

If the Extreme becomes a major success, Tom Ford might reconsider. Success = more profit thus supply and demand says if there is a huge demand for it, then he might supply it.

TFFME has oud in it, but it is peeking out from underneath the olfcatory blanket of musk. So, this works perfectly to keep the medicinal/burnt effervescent rubber note in check.
    Thanks mikeperez23. I enjoy your reviews very much. I too have a similar love/hate relationship with oud. I couldn't have described the effect "medicinal/burnt effervescent rubber note" better.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Fiorello View Post
    Thanks mikeperez23. I enjoy your reviews very much. I too have a similar love/hate relationship with oud. I couldn't have described the effect "medicinal/burnt effervescent rubber note" better.
    You're welcome.

Yes, oud (atleast in Tom Ford's hands) has been disastrous to my nose in some scents (M7 by YSL, Oud Wood by Tom Ford) and then in other scents, just lovely and perfect (Black Aoud by Montale for instance) - so imagine my surprise when I smelled TFFME and found out that the lovely juice I was smelling had oud in it. I was delighted.

This just proves that you can't write off a note entirely. Just when you think you know what a note smells like - a new perfumer comes along and turns your preconceived notions upside down.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 19th October 2007 at 08:09 PM.

-- Jack Kerouac