Code of Conduct

Default Anyone sniffed Guerlain's My Insolence?

Yes, you read that right: one stinking year after the original, Guerlain came out with a flanker called My Insolence. I sniffed it from the bottle at Von Maur recently, and it smells to me like Guerlain did a perfect copy of Lolita Lempicka.

Why, oh why, does Guerlain have to either put the classics into very limited distribution or reformulate them while pumping out garbage for the masses?
    Last edited by MFfan310; 15th September 2007 at 03:12 PM.
    Top 5 for Winter:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Back to Black - By Kilian
    3) Musk Oud - By Kilian
    4) Encre Noire - Lalique
    5)
    M7 (vintage or Oud Absolu) - YSL
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Default Re: Anyone sniffed Guerlain's My Insolence?

That's a shame. I think Insolence is beautiful, misunderstood, and underrated, and a flanker seems insulting, in a way.

Quote Originally Posted by MFfan310 View Post
    Why, oh why, does Guerlain have to either put the classics into very limited distribution or reformulate them while pumping out garbage for the masses?
    Blame LVMH. Did you see this review on Now Smell This?
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

Tovah - I'd love to hear your in-depth thoughts on the original Insolence. I feel like I'm not 'getting' Insolence; I find the berry note obtrusive, and it just makes me wish I'd used Meteorites instead. I think I'm missing something; several people whose tastes normally chime really well with mine like it a lot. What do you find in it that works so well for you?

As regards My Insolence...well, the Now Smell This review puts me right off, given that the berry note was what turned me off in the first place. I do hope that the fruity/floral fashion goes away soon.

I smelled it the other day and it is very blah to me. I much prefer Insolence, at least it has some character like it or hate it.

I haven't yet, but i'm looking forward to smell it, and being a guerlain fan, to own it.
    I think the original Insolence is very underrated, it's not as bad as many people might think.

Quote Originally Posted by Squeezeweasel View Post
    Tovah - I'd love to hear your in-depth thoughts on the original Insolence. I feel like I'm not 'getting' Insolence; I find the berry note obtrusive, and it just makes me wish I'd used Meteorites instead. I think I'm missing something; several people whose tastes normally chime really well with mine like it a lot. What do you find in it that works so well for you?

As regards My Insolence...well, the Now Smell This review puts me right off, given that the berry note was what turned me off in the first place. I do hope that the fruity/floral fashion goes away soon.
    Here's a review I posted on MUA. For some reason, I can't post reviews on Basenotes, but I had to review Insolence.

Guerlain Insolence is the scent-embodiment of Hamlet's beautiful but doomed lover, Ophelia; doe-eyed, filled with passion, overcome by madness. Gertrude adorns Ophelia's grave with violets, saying, "Sweets to the sweet"; a simple phrase that, combined with the symbolism of the violets, manages to evoke both love and tragedy. Insolence is a watery, very sweet violet fragrance, with notes of tart raspberry, pink and red roses, very blue iris, and a balsamy drydown. In 2007 I wouldn't expect or want Guerlain to release a L'Heure Bleue or Après l'Ondée, but, dare I say it: Insolence calls both to my mind. There is a romantic, melancholic beauty to Insolence. It's not apparent in the light, fresh topnotes, but give Insolence an hour, and you'll find yourself with an intricate, deeply emotional fragrance. The name and the marketing seem so "off" that I wonder if Guerlain came up with the concept and the "face" before Roucel actually presented this unusual, unique creation. I find the marketing for this fragrance almost hilarious: "The irreverent scent of youth, daring, and freedom..."?? Velvet Rope may fit this description, but the nearly fragile Insolence simply does not. Insolence is more "Mélancolie dans le printemps," or "Féminité aigre-douce". This fragrance is an extremely feminine, graceful scent; delicate, and almost ethereal. If I'd smelled Insolence, and then been told that Hilary Swank was going to be the "face" for this scent, I'd have laughed and thought it was a joke. Nothing against Swank, but her persona is just not the embodiment of this haunting, crystalline perfume. Diana Vishneva as Giselle would have been perfect for the Insolence I know and adore. (I'm no marketer, obviously. I'm just thrilled that I gave this fragrance a chance, because I would have missed out on something truly beautiful if I'd overlooked Insolence based upon its advertising. Plus, it is a Guerlain, after all!) My husband says he loves Insolence on me, which makes it extra special. The color of the jus, and the pretty bottle suit this fragrance well. Insolence is absolutely lovely, and I recommend it for woman of all ages.

http://www.makeupalley.com/product/s...By=/AgeRange=/