Code of Conduct

Default can i wear tabu??? people won't accept it

hi. ok so i like tabu. it makes me imagine i am running naked through a forest. i tested at walgreens and my little brother's friend said i smelled like a "dirty hippie" and then my brother said i smelled like an "old guy" and started calling me grandpa.
    i want to buy a little bottle since it is so inexpensive....but i am afraid to wear it in public!! i don't know if i can pull it off. especially because i know the girls my age would never give this fragrance a chance and they might think i am weird if i wear it. it seems like people won't accept any fragrance that is not fruity and fresh and not "designer"!
    i know i shouldn't care what people think but its hard, especially when it comes to how you smell.

Default Re: can i wear tabu??? people won't accept it

Do you really care what your brothers or their friends think you smell like? Your family has to love you know matter how much you stink So just buy a small bottle to wear around the house or when you know you won't be going out in public. Many of us here own scents that we only wear in private because we're just not comfortable wearing them around other people for one reason or another. I'm sure you have or will find other frags that you're perfectly comfortable wearing around your friends.
    Last edited by MadScientist; 15th September 2007 at 08:36 PM.

When i suspect that a scent won't work, and people will find it bad, i probably won't buy it.

But you need to keep in mind that you only heard the opinion of 2 persons.
    Maybe they are jaleous because you smell so good?

If you really like it, you should buy it anyway, with the following in mind:

-Don't spray much if you're "going out" with it. Don't overspray if you're going "public" with it.

-If you're alone at home, you can do what you want. You can spray as much as you can.
    I think a lot of people have scents that they only wear at home, because some people might
    not like it.

Good luck in deciding.

Quote Originally Posted by kate13 View Post
    they might think i am weird if i wear it.
    Honey, that's a good thing!
    No, really.
    When you're older you'll be very proud of yourself for recognising Tabu as a great perfume. You've got gooooood taste (as The Cramps say)(Google them -- they're worth knowing about too.)

i know i shouldn't care what people think but its hard, especially when it comes to how you smell.
    Oh, OK, yes, you're right. It's not easy. Though you might want to give your brother a quick clip around the ear.

You could be sneaky though. Maybe wear a little dab of Tabu as a layer underneath one of those blah fruity things everyone is paying way too much for. That would make them more interesting. Or even better, use it as a base under some vanilla or rose - simple but elegant (try Yves Rocher for inexpensive small sizes). That way you'll smell mainstream but still be subtly individual.

And if all else fails, you can wear it at home for yourself as a personal treat.

Of course, if you really want to freak 'em all out get some Piguet Bandit or Bulgari Black - well, anything on the 'naughty naughty bad girls' thread.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

sure, you can wear whatever you want

chances are that ur bro wont remember it after awhile anyway

Well, I bet your brother smells like gym socks, so who cares what he thinks of a perfume?

If you like Tabu, douse yourself in it: wear it for yourself, not for anyone else.

hi. ok so i like tabu. it makes me imagine i am running naked through a forest. i tested at walgreens and my little brother's friend said i smelled like a "dirty hippie" and then my brother said i smelled like an "old guy" and started calling me grandpa.
    i want to buy a little bottle since it is so inexpensive....but i am afraid to wear it in public!! i don't know if i can pull it off. especially because i know the girls my age would never give this fragrance a chance and they might think i am weird if i wear it. it seems like people won't accept any fragrance that is not fruity and fresh and not "designer"!
    I know how you feel. When I sprayed on some of a new-found favorite (Safari For Men from a friend here on Basenotes) my Boss said it smelled "horrible" and she was really mad and I have to say my feelings were hurt. So I don't wear it at work. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and we don't all smell things in the same way.

Whatever you do will be the right thing!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Honey wear whatever you want to. Don't mind folks because some of them just don't know how to say anything nice. There are going to be some folks that don't like your perfume no matter how much you spend on it. It doesn't matter how much you spend on a bottle of perfume. What matters is that it's YOUR MONEY!! and you can buy it and wear it whenever and however you want.

Now I don't know about you, but I wear my perfume for myself and well maybe my sweetie sometimes, but I mostly wear it for myself. I love the smell of perfume and smell myself all day. If you like the way it smells on you, then that's what's important.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

It reminds me of being running through the forrest on a hot summer day while being chased by an old naked man. Oh, how much I miss those summer days...... J/K.... If you like it, you should wear it, who cares what other people think. If you are really worried about it, and you like it yourself, spray conservatively so only you can smell it, or those who are really close to you.
    Last edited by Maz24; 18th September 2007 at 10:48 AM.

Ah, one of the fabulous things about being "older" like me (42 years old) is not giving a d@mn about what other people think, which is, when you think about it, the very definition of being "cool." ;-)

I say buy and wear your Tabu! Your friends might admire you for being yourself and bucking the fruity-floral trend (as long as you don't bathe in the stuff, lol). You may be the type who shines in a more bold, oriental scent. Go with it and enjoy!

I always wore a different fragrance from my friends. I didn't want to smell like anyone else.

My first fragrance I bought at 12 was Chanel No. 19. My friends thought I stunk ( they were wearing Loves Baby Soft and Heaven Scent) but I was totally in love with it and still am. It is always ok to be ahead of your time

solution:

pour it in your brother's pepsi.
    he'll never talk trash again.

First of all, you have to ask yourself, "Do I enjoy this scent?" If the answer is yes, then by all means, get it! I would buy it just because others didn't want me to.

The Rebel Perfumista...

Now, if after a while you find that you don't like it, you are losing friends, birds and other flying creatures are suddenly falling out of the sky as you stroll along, you might want to put it on the shelf for a while.

Until then, I say go for it.

[QUOTE=kate13;1060924]...it makes me imagine i am running naked through a forest. QUOTE]

That makes for a funny visual.

TNMA
    Last edited by thenmarcher; 7th December 2007 at 07:57 AM.
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Kate, my dear, we must all march to the beat of our own fragrant drummer!

Tabu is a great classic. You have discriminating taste.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Of course. Do not care what the others can say..Wear what you like! Thats all !!

The last woman I complimented for her fragrance and asked "What is it?" was wearing Tabu. I'd not smelled it in so long I didn't even recognize it. I agree that any girl of any age can wear anything, but I think guidelines apply. Tabu has tremendous sillage--meaning a couple of big spritzes can fumigate a room. Also, be aware that a person wearing a fragrance sometimes gets a little nose fatigue, and can't smell themselves as well as other people can when they meet the fragrance for the first time.

Please do wear and enjoy this wonderful classic! But, be cautious about wearing it to a classroom setting, as those rooms rarely get much air flow and people sit pretty close together--this goes for any fragrance, BTW, but especially one like Tabu that is rich and voluptuous. I bet the tiniest little part of a spritz would do on the back of your wrist, and rubbed on the side of your neck.

Please do also ignore anything your little brother says, ditto your little brother's friends. My brother used to call me Liver Lips, and now women everywhere pay big money for collagen lip injections, wear stinging lip plumper glosses, and discuss the longest wearing lipstick as a matter of national importance.

I'm hoping before I die, belly rolls will come back in fashion. Give me another Ruben sandwich, please.
    Please, spritz responsibly.

Everyone is spot on. Wear what pleases you, and don't worry what your snotty little brother thinks! You're not trying to please him after all!