Code of Conduct

Thread: What Next?

Default What Next?

Afternoon all,

I've been using Basenotes for a while to guide me in my choice of fragrances, but I've gone through most of those I've been able to grab hold of, so I thought I'd ask for some opinions.

The time has come round to make another purchase, and I wondered if anyone had any suggestions. I want at least two/three fragrances so I can switch in a given situation/mood. I'll tell you what I've been using recently so you can have an idea of my tastes;

Paul Smith Extreme (pretty poor, I view it as a step up from Lynx for work)
    Armani He (liked it a lot more than I thought I would - a lot more)
    JPG Le Male (according to friends is 'my' scent. I've worn it for years)
    JPG Gaultier2 (not bad, but can be very harsh and metallic)
    Vera Wang for Men (not really a fan - a little bit too 'old man' for my tastes)

I think it's fair to say that I don't like powerful masculine scents. My worst purchase for me was some Jazz, which started off badly, and only got worse on me. Phew.

Having said that, I find it hard to tread a line between the scents. I'm caught between two rocks and a hard place. Things like Paul Smith (and other British mod designer fragrances) are too cucumber and thin smelling to me, things like Joop are adolescent, and lots of fragrances smell like a pair of 20 year old cord trousers worn by my pipe smoking grandfather.

This could be why I love JPG Le Male - it's light and fruity and yet isn't adolescent to my nose. The only problem is that every man and his dog wear it. That doesn't bother me overly much, but it might be worth trying something else. Anyone got any suggestions?

Cheers
    Richard

PS - just remembered my most hellish scent - Diesel Zero Plus. It reminded me of a poem by Wilfred Owen. Jeez.
    Last edited by trebizond; 16th September 2007 at 11:38 AM.

Default Re: What Next?

I would giver Dior Homme a try. To me it's masculine floral type scent with some Iris. I wear this a lot and really like it. Then there is the standard Green Irish Tweed reccomendation. I can't get enough of this stuff. It's a tad expensive, but it is so wonderful and so versatile.

Cheers,

I'm going to have a go at Dior Homme, and I've also ordererd a small decanted container of Green Irish Tweed - from the reviews it could go either way, and I don't really want to throw money away if I don't like it.

Today, I'm also thinking about Opium Pour Homme - it's hard to tell from the reviews, but it seems it's in the same mould as JPG Le Male and Armani He, can anyone tell me if this is right?

thanks
    Richard

I hope you enjoy both of the fragrances you ordered. Opium should be somewhat similar to the other two you suggested. I thnk they all lean towards being Oriental. It's been a while sinc I smelled Opium. I remember ot ben a big fan but it is popular here on Basenotes. I'm not real into Orientals, I'm more of a woods type guy.

Try the Opium Pour Homme EDP i don`t think you will be disappointed.

Maybe the new Tom Ford for Men would be nice!!!

Wink Re: What Next?

On the expensive side, but quite wonderous is Frederic Malle's Musc Ravageur.