Code of Conduct

Default Miller Harris Fragrances?

Are there any I need to have? Looking for opinions/suggestions. Thanks.

Default Re: Miller Harris Fragrances?

Tangerine Vert --Wonderful summer scent!

Citron Citron --Another of my favorite MH's.

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

here's a hearty second recommendation for Tangerine Vert
    i've worn the crap out of it this summer, so great in the heat.

I have tried almost all...Citron Citron is good, but Cuir d'Oranger is their finest.
    -

Sorry to be the contrarian, but I find Miller Harris fragrances a bit old school. I'm willing to suspend final judgement until after trying Cuir d'Oranger, which I suspect is very good. But I need more depth and daring.

I certainly have not tried all of them yet and most that I have tried I didn't care for, but their Cuir Oranger is magic in a bottle! Definitely give that one a try!

I'm sure others have good experiences and great appreciation for several of their scents. Fair enough. But I say bahhh, the only Miller Harris worthy of human skin is Feuilles de Tabac. And I mean it is THE only one. It's one of the ONLY kickass tobacco scents out there too. And powerful. That's the one you need. Get it and forget the rest. Obey!
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I'm going to agree with DustB here and second his recommendation of Feuilles de Tabac - While it's the only Miller Harris fragrance I own or have tried, it's become an absolute favorite and I've gotten plenty of compliments on it. Seems to last for ages on me (and on clothes) and I feel it has a very distinctive vibe to it. If you enjoy tobacco scents it's certainly worth a try.
    Last edited by Ab74; 14th September 2007 at 05:34 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    I'm sure others have good experiences and great appreciation for several of their scents. Fair enough. But I say bahhh, the only Miller Harris worthy of human skin is Feuilles de Tabac. And I mean it is THE only one. It's one of the ONLY kickass tobacco scents out there too. And powerful. That's the one you need. Get it and forget the rest. Obey!
    Ditto on Feuilles de Tabac, but I would say Terre de Bois is also worth buying a bottle. Different, sweeter than FdT, but a big hit with women in my experience.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Tangerine Vert is the premier, pure, and longest lasting citrus scent in my opinion.
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Feuilles de Tabac comes off pretty lightweight in its tobacco content to some one weaned on the Tabarome duo, or even something like Guerlain Vetiver. That said I do find its spicy, aromatic, slightly woody and warm accord (with lots of patchouli) mildly enjoyable.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Feuilles de Tabac comes off pretty lightweight in its tobacco content to some one weaned on the Tabarome duo,
    I'm a huge fan of the newer Tabarome (which was my SOTD yesterday) but to my nose Feuilles de Tabac actually surpasses it in intensity and does so without the ginger overdose. As to the "Vintage" tabarome - I only own a sample however my SO absolutely loathes it and believe it or not thinks it smells like "an old lady and completely feminine" (an opinion I don't at all agree with but as they say, opinions are like belly buttons...Everybody has one!) Even the fact that she's an absolutely HUGE Bogart fan didn't change her opinion on this one. I even showed her the Basenotes reviews for it and she absolutely REFUSED to believe it was a scent suitable for a man. If there was ever a thread on how to deal with the whole "Fragrance you enjoy that your SO despises" subject I'd appreciate a link to it..
    Last edited by Ab74; 14th September 2007 at 06:24 AM.

Basenotes Institution

I have only tried Tangerine Vert and found it quite wonderful (who doesn't like such a realistic tangerine note?) but it simply did not last enough on my skin. This happens with some orange scents on me (Arancia by AdP is the same...).

I read an interview with Lyn Harris, owner of Miller Harris, and they asked her what her favorite scent from the line was. She answered Fleur de Sel. I have not smelled this...

I had really high hopes for this line but was generally quite disappointed. Tangerine Verte is OK but I much prefer Hermes EauD'Orange Verte for its mossy development and overall excellence. Citron Citron is good and the only one I really like. Feuille de Tabac was a major let-down, I found the accord to be very muddy and light on tobacco, heavy on "complimentary to the tobacco" spice. I hate it when a note smells of "spice" it is so generic.

I find they all have a kind of "perfumey" quality to them and a lack of one of either clarity or depth.
    Last edited by hirch_duckfinder; 15th September 2007 at 01:18 PM.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

I like Feuilles de Tabac also (though I prefer Tabac Blond). I also like L'Air de Rien. The others really leave me cold, to be honest.

I was disappointed with this line.Tried Terre De Bois & Feulles De Tabac,both did not move me.

Tangerine is very nice for a citrus based scent. May pick it up one day. Citron's not bad but I find Acqua di Parma much better for this type of scent. Terre Bois is very old-school British and didn't really move me. Neither did Tabac as I found it Tobacco too dry for my tastes.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    I have tried almost all...Citron Citron is good, but Cuir d'Oranger is their finest.
    I got a sample of Cuir d'Oranger at Saks yesterday and it is brilliant! Lyn Harris has created, IMHO, her first masterpiece with this updated Leather Chypre. Wow!

Cuir d'Oranger is a masterpiece. Hands down.

I have Terre de Bois and find the composition muddled, like the scent straddles several genres. I still like it, though.

Thrax

Chalk up another vote for Tangerine Vert. I love the stuff.