Code of Conduct

Default So I finally tried Platinum Egoiste...

A few weeks ago, someone wrote a thread saying that Platinum Egoiste was the best cologne ever. Literally. While I took it as the typical rhetoric, it made me curious to actually go check it out. Yes, after my time at Basenotes, I've turned into a perfume snob and have generally avoided Sephora since then.

As I read the current reviews on Platinum Egoiste, I see descriptions like "what a leader would wear", "alpha male scent". So I'm at the Santa Monica 3rd St Promenade and the Sephora has PE. I'm psyched, I spray at all and wait for the magic to happen. And I wait. And wait.

I'm not sure, maybe I was having a bad day, maybe my olfactory senses were jacked up with the SoCal pollution, but in my honest assesment, Platinum Egoiste is IDENTICAL to Paco Rabanne XS. Identical as in, someone bought XS and poured it into the PE bottle. The same XS that everyone claims is Himalaya Lite.

I don't get alpha male; I get been there, done that. It reminds me of my younger years of the Eternitys and other oversaturated 90's type scents (though I'm not sure when PE was released). I can think of a billion better alternatives.

What I find strange is that the reviews don't mention any other comparisons to XS, so maybe its just me.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Default Re: So I finally tried Platinum Egoiste...

I agree with you completely.. though there are slight tweaks between them.. Paco's XS, Himalaya, Hererra for men and PE all occupy the same sort of nose and head space.. I'm still trying to figure out which is my favorite of the bunch though...

a.

Its not just you. As NF here and Pluran in his review points out, XS, Himalaya PE and Herrera for men are of the same ilk {fresh woods or woody-floral-musk}, just like how many citrus-herbal Eau de Cologne type fragrances share a lot of similarities.

Himalaya is the best of the bunch because of its slightly more refined presentation and quality of ingredients, but the price differential might not be worth it to some.
    -

I think that for an ordinary man who is not very interested in perfumes Egoiste Platinum is one of the best scents
    Long ago it was one of my favorites.
    It's very well made scent. And it is still very modern. It could be released and nowadays
    It has some simillarities with paco rabane, but to my nose, Egoiste Platinum is much much better
    Last edited by DreamerII; 16th September 2007 at 08:38 PM.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

IMO one can easily get confused b/w

XS by Paco Rabanne, Herrera men by Carolina and Creed Himalaya.
    I think all three are VERY VERY similar if not identical.

As for Platinum Egoiste, i find that it is in the same league as above but certainly not identical. Infact the 'smokiness' in PE, makes it unique and really identifiable.

gupts

Blog Entries

It may just be me...but I smell a lot of similarity between Platinum Egoiste and A&F Fierce.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

PE has a certain dryness which may remind one of Fierce. Isn't XS the one with the berries note? If so, I do not see the similarity to PE.

PE smells a lot like Fierce (or the other way around)

Quote Originally Posted by stuigi View Post
    PE has a certain dryness which may remind one of Fierce. Isn't XS the one with the berries note? If so, I do not see the similarity to PE.
    You're referreing to Black XS, which is totally different from normal XS.

I guess the take away is that there are several alternatives available for a scent of this type. It may boil down to what you prefer in terms of "variation". Honestly, of the clones out there, I think I prefer PE over the others.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Juniper berries.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah