Code of Conduct

Thread: Gucci Nobile.

Default Gucci Nobile.

I just wanted to ask fellow Basenoters who know & have tried this scent what it is like.Is it a good blind buy?Which scent is it most similar with.Please recommend or give negative view.Thank you.

Default Re: Gucci Nobile.

To me, it was unpleasant. I can't remember just what it was that turned me off and led me to swap it but I do remember it was nasty to my nose.

Dan
    "We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."

Daily Wardrobe

Gucci Nobile is an aromatic fougere. It's green (coniferous & herbal) and clean. I can't think of anything like it--mabe a combination of Green Jeans and Herrera for men, but it isn't like either individually. It's very well refined and constructed, lasts for hours, and is a bit old school, but can be subtle if applied lightly. I love it and am treasuring my last half bottle. I don't recommend it as a blind buy, though, altough I think it can be easily traded..

I wore Gucci Nobile back in the late 90's while working at TJ Maxx. I went thru 4 bottles...I wish I had known then that it will become such a hard to find desired scent.

For me, it smells a lot like a 'green' version of Guy Laroche's Drakkar Noir or Phat Farm's Atman. Some people might disagree with me, but that is what I remember. It smells great and lasts a very long time.

Foetidus, (and anyone else who has a bottle) please check my comparisons to said frags above.
    Last edited by Andrewthecologneguy; 16th September 2007 at 11:53 PM.
    Keep Smelling Good
    ANDREW

I didn't like it when I first got it. It smelled dated and even smelled sinister to me-- like the thread about scents that smell sinister. When I smelled it, I thought of the "Dungeons and Dragons" cartoon from the '80s. Also, I thought of Skeletor for some obscure reason-- but I have a very surreal subconscious.

Anyway, while I first thought it had that "cheap cologne" feel about it, I liked it more as time went on. When I smell it now, I think it's actually pretty nice. I did actually wear Nobile to court once to fight a speeding ticket and thought it wore nicely with a suit. It has a bitter green aroma to it that is bracing.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewthecologneguy View Post
    I wore Gucci Nobile back in the late 90's while working at TJ Maxx. I went thru 4 bottles...I wish I had known then that it will become such a hard to find desired scent.

For me, it smells a lot like a 'green' version of Guy Laroche's Drakkar Noir or Phat Farm's Atman. Some people might disagree with me, but that is what I remember. It smells great and lasts a very long time.

Foetidus, (and anyone else who has a bottle) please check my comparisons to said frags above.
    Yes, there are similarities between Drakkar and Gucci Nobile--temporarily. In the opening the lavender and moss in each of them give a similar background--about the same undertone. The moss and lavender is stronger in Drakkar and soon the two fragrances take very different directions--Nobile goes clean green and Drakkar goes off more toward a messy spicy accord although it has a lot of green in the background. I also find a strong leather note in Drakkar that causes disruption in my ability to interpret the other notes in the fragrance. I must say, on its best day, Drakkar Noir couldn't DREAM of being as good a fragrance as Gucci Nobile--just my personal opinion.

I just washed off Drakkar Noir and am enjoying the Gucci Nobile

I agree wirh Andrewthecologneguy. Gucci Nobile shares some similarities with Drakkar Noir. Actually, It's an enhanced Drakkar Noir. It's Greener, lighter (without a strong note that seems to be amber to me) and fresher. A great fougere, everybody seems to like it (although It indeed has the strength of those 80's fragrances.)
    Last edited by RCavs; 17th September 2007 at 02:04 PM.

Basenotes Institution

A great fougere, but not a classic fougere.

Try, before you buy, in my opinion.

I really canīt make up my mind on this fragrance. Itīs incredibly sharp, cool and clean smelling. Crisp and dry, almost like a gin without the juniper. I would not describe it as green fragrance in any way. It has its distinct character, but to me it is as if something is missing. Itīs not quite finished. Nevertheless, whenever I wear it I get complements !
    A difficult one this. Definately worth tracking down. Give it several tries.