Code of Conduct

Default I have created a convert!

We had a dinner party this evening (I've just been sent a load of Mexican food to review and had to test it on someone). We ended up with two sets of friends coming over. My best friend (the one who I bought Shocking for to wear on her wedding day - it suits her better than you could possibly imagine) and her husband came round - they're both quite interested in fragrance and like to spend evenings testing their way through my collection. The other guest was a software engineering colleague of my husband's, and asserted that he was a manly, manly man of the sort who would *never* wear fragrance.

About half an hour after dinner, my friend asked if she could try my Messe de Minuit. She's a librarian, and I'd mentioned that it'd suit her bookstacks. I brought it downstairs, she had a squirt, asked her husband to have a sniff, said she thought it was great, and decided she'd pick some up when next in London.

One of the manly engineers suddenly put his whiskey down. He demanded the bottle. He sniffed it. He gingerly raised his sleeve and squirted some on his elbow. He asked what it was. He asked where he could get some. He then demanded access to a computer and ordered a bottle from Aedes.

Occasionally, I think I ought to go into sales.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: I have created a convert!

LMAO!!! That's a great story!!!
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If I didn't think you an honest person, I'd have thought this fiction! What an outstanding scene to imagine with that engineer. And, mmmm, how neat would it be to approach a librarian wearing a library-appropriate scent.
    Monarch butterflies require milkweed to prevent extinction

Only fictitious in that in the cold light of day, the manly engineers aren't actually *particularly* manly. Otherwise, God's honest truth...and one of the funniest things I've experienced all year!

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, Manly Engineers. You've got to love them. My hubby is one and he's completely perfume-phobic. I think it's a machismo thing. I managed to buy him a bottle of Guerlain Vetiver for Father's Day a year or two ago. He agreed to have that one because 'it doesn't smell like old ladies, air freshener or toilet cleaner'. And apart from the single squirt he dutifully put on when he opened the bottle, he's never worn it since. *sigh*

On the bright side, there's a lovely bottle of Vetiver lying around for me to use.
    Always a silver lining.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

A Site For Sore Eyes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Squeezeweasel View Post
    We had a dinner party this evening (I've just been sent a load of Mexican food to review and had to test it on someone). We ended up with two sets of friends coming over. My best friend (the one who I bought Shocking for to wear on her wedding day - it suits her better than you could possibly imagine) and her husband came round - they're both quite interested in fragrance and like to spend evenings testing their way through my collection. The other guest was a software engineering colleague of my husband's, and asserted that he was a manly, manly man of the sort who would *never* wear fragrance.

About half an hour after dinner, my friend asked if she could try my Messe de Minuit. She's a librarian, and I'd mentioned that it'd suit her bookstacks. I brought it downstairs, she had a squirt, asked her husband to have a sniff, said she thought it was great, and decided she'd pick some up when next in London.

One of the manly engineers suddenly put his whiskey down. He demanded the bottle. He ..sniffed it. He gingerly raised his sleeve and squirted some on his elbow. He asked what it was. He asked where he could get some. He then demanded access to a computer and ordered a bottle from Aedes.

Occasionally, I think I ought to go into sales.

such stereotypical male behavior...elbowing his way in.
    Deep in the dark your kiss will thrill me
    Like days of old. Lighting the spark of love that fills me
    with dreams untold..--Twilight Time

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I love your story. I love Messe de Minuit. And I love the converting properties of that little exchange between you, the librarian and the engineer. I think it just confirms that don't hate it, until you try it.

People do the same exact thing with food all of the time (me included). But scent, well that's a different story.

When I eat something across the room from you, you can choose not to eat it (assuming you won't like it, for whatever reason) and that's that. But, fragrances travel across the room and invade someone's nose, for better or for worse. In the case of the engineer, he was actually forced to confront his assumptions and was able to let them go and be okay with liking it. In a typical 'guy way' he didn't just spark an interest in it. He actually wanted it right away. I can relate.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 21st September 2007 at 11:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm thrilled, actually. My SO has never been much of a scent man...a squirt of Lynx (pew pew!) or some aftershave his mum gave him is about as far as it would go.
    I managed to get some samples of Virgin Island and Silver Mountain Water from Les Senteurs for him, and thought he'd lost them. But he actually brought the VIW to the wedding we went to yesterday - turns out he really likes it. Christmas present is sorted then!

Glad to hear about your story!
    I liked the part where you say that "they like to spend evenings testing their way through my collection", i could imagine the conversation:
    darling what would you like to do today?
    i don't know nothing excites me anymore hon'.
    say, why don't we go to squeeze's and have some more fun?
    but didn't we go there last tuesday?
    i'm sure she doesn't mind and she's so much fun!
    i'd love to hear about the new releases! i'm in the mood for an oriental this time
    Since when do you refer to them as "orientals?"...etc etc

Thank you so much for sharing!