Code of Conduct

Default What is the ideal scent for a dandy?

Which scents would you recommend for a modern dandy, or should I say metrosexual? One that oozes class, sophistication, snobbiness, sense of sublime fashion, a taste for the unusual? Oh, and make suggestions in both categories, niche and non-niche.
    Last edited by ClassyGuy; 13th September 2007 at 09:16 AM.

Default Re: What is the ideal scent for a dandy?

Obviously, Le Dandy by d'Orsay

also
    Crown Perfumery, Sandringham
    Creed, Royal Delight
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I've a feeling for those
    niche:

Boi D'Argent
    Cologne Blanche
    Eau Noire Cologne
    Boi D'Armini
    Chamade PH
    Chanel No.18
    Bois d'Iris
    Hermèssence Vétiver Tonka
    Hermèssence Ambre Narguilé
    Tom Ford Private Blends
    & anything from L'Artisan would fit

non-niche;

Insensé
    Ricci Club
    Jazz Prestige
    Dunhill Edition
    Rive Gauche
    Egoiste

What an entirely AWFUL project. To actively search for snobbiness.

the dandy is similar to Beau Brummel. being a dandy doesn't make you a bad person.

Since dandyism started out in England and I think I read that Penhaligon's has an offering for the dandy, I'd give them a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guerlain View Post
    What an entirely AWFUL project. To actively search for snobbiness.
    The blasé snobbery of self-proclaimed aristocrats is inacceptable. Oscar Wilde's witty snobbery is superb.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Okay, you're right, snobbiness in and off itself is unacceptable. I just wanted to describe the idea behind it. A dandy has a taste for the exquisite and shuns the ordinary, let's put it this way.

What I'm looking for is not an old-school fragrance, but rather something modern, a modern-day dandy would wear, something that should have ideally been issued quite recently...

I think it's funny that the one shunning this thread will only purchase one house.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Take a look at the review for Hugh Parson's 99 Regent Street. It describes 99 just like what you are looking for.
    Last edited by Mattybumpkin; 13th September 2007 at 02:26 PM.
    "I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best." - Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Red face Re: What is the ideal scent for a dandy?

Love me or hate me for saying it, but I think that we are all a bit "Snobby". It’s kind of the nature of our basenotes community. Most of us come here daily to talk to each other about fragrance. We consider ourselves to be a bit better than the average joe in terms of or fragrance knowledge and believe our tastes to be more refined. Now I am not saying that this is a bad thing, I am very thankful for this community and the knowledge that I have attained here. The people who frequent this board are quite genteel and willing to help and advise their fellow man.

Just my two cents. Take it for what its worth.

^ The Duke has a point.

Yes, the Duke has a point, but I, too, think that the term "dandy" often conjures up images of vanity taken to the point of silliness, and of snobbishness for its own sake. IF, however, by "dandy" you mean a well dressed, well groomed man, then that's a very different matter.

For the latter (and much more palatable) definition, I'd probably go with something like Eau Sauvage, Acqua di Parma, Blenheim Bouquet or Hammam Bouquet -- something that screams "simple, old fashioned, elegant." A dandy (again, per the latter definition) would never wear a "moose on the loose" sex scent such as Musc Ravageur or Rive Gauche or Monsieur Musk, nor would he go for the bizarre (e.g., Kingdom, Fleur du Mâle etc.). He'd keep it simple and understated and ever so elegant (but without being "piss elegant").
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 13th September 2007 at 03:18 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Why not look at the term "snobbery" with a bit of humor? Of course no one wills evil doing or anything dastardly, hell, we're just having fun here. Maybe true snobbery is a venial sin, but it isn't a mortal one.

In fact, isn't it kind of fun in our lives when we lift our noses at something? Birkenstock sandals! Ugh, how early 90s and how gauche. I just don't get it. Why, anyone with any real sense wears flipflops today.

Another car chase, exposions, and pretty-girls-dancing movie! How many times do we get that same formula? I'm tired of it. I won't trade my money for the pleasure, thank you.

Snobbery. Well hell. I'm not advocating being an asshole, but if the word and various levels to its complexity are denied, well, let the word go out that I'm no virgin. Sure, when snobbery is an insult, or someone says I only like something because I'm a snob, that's a problem because it's an insult. That's not what's going on here though, this is sort of an insightful question. What scent gives its wearer enough of a boost to feel more experienced and wise than hoi polloi without going too far and rendering the wearer self-conscious for it?

For my answer I gravitate to older and more experienced scents. One that show I've got the taste to stick with a good thing that no one notices anymore. I realize the poster wants a modern scent that does that though. I'm therefore less help. I'd go for a men's floral scent then. Because flowers DO smell good and most every other man is scared of them because he thinks his balls will dry up and fall off if he wears a floral. Also masculine florals are always complex. I'd say Dior Homme or Annick Goutal's Duel.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I discovered a masculine floral last week that I think is wonderful from the nineties.
    Anthracite Pour L'Homme by Jacomo. It is discontinued, but found a couple of bottles at my local fragrance store. I am always aware of what scentemental is wearing in his SOTD posts. He wore this twice in a row recently so it peaked my interest. Floral, spicy, and just plain smells good. Is this a floral a dandy would wear? Probably not, maybe. But on the heels of DustB's post I thought I would mention this one. It is available at perfumebay.com.

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    I think it's funny that the one shunning this thread will only purchase one house.
    That has nothing to do with snobbery, but with nostalgic romance. I have a special feeling for Guerlain because of a personal experience. For me, perfume is like music, linked to genuine feelings. Snobbery is about shallowness, and I really don't think that the world anno 2007 needs that...

I'm not shunning this thread, but I can't think of one single Guerlain-perfume that radiates snobbery.

But that is because he is a "collector" not a "snob".
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

I haven't sniffed this one myslef, but try on the modern version of Guerlain's Habit Rouge. I posted this earlier this week, but the original HR sure makes me feel like a dandy. I just threw that "modern version" in there if it feels better to look at something with an updated (not saying better) formula.

Would love to smell that version myself actually... Dior Homme is also a perfect suggestion. Easy to find as well.

I had to look up "Dandy" on wikipedia...not a commonly used American term!

"A dandy is a man who places particular importance upon physical appearance, refined language, and the cultivation of leisurely hobbies. Historically, especially in late eighteenth- and early nineteenth-century Britain, a dandy often strove to imitate an aristocratic style of life despite being of middle-class background"

Sounds like me! I blow the little money I have on insanely expensive and vanity-based fragrances!
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

I don't necessarily think of a snob when I think of a dandy. I think of someone who outright enjoys...and is very happy in...very fashionable and unique attire. Who doesn't like to dress up really nice for no particular reason once in awhile? I do. Dandies just dress like this all the time. Big deal. It's important to look presentable in life; a dandy takes it a step further than most and has a great time with it.

When I image the scent of a dandy, I think of something soft, powdery, and a bit sweet...definitely with an old world tinge. Dior Homme has been mentioned, as has Egoiste. Those popped into me head as soon as I saw the thread name. I think something like Kiton Men also compliments the well dressed man quite well. And of course, Caron Pour Un Homme.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Lighten up people and enter into the spirit of the thread for my guinea's worth i'd have to go with maitre parfumeur et gantier's iris bleu gris it just seems made for the concept of a what a dandy is in my mind.

lots more ideas in this April thread on Dandyism

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=195216

Royal Bain de Caron

Hey, come on guys...the question was not pros and contras of a Dandy, or what so ever, but wich frags he'd use....

I have and would suggest Malmaison by Floris... seems that Oscar Wilde was wearing it...It s a very theatrical scent, kind a heavy I would say..

Renz

for a modern dandy..I thought about YSL NU 'edp'.

some interesting thoughts on the subject of "Dandys" here:

http://www.vetivresse.com/

Richard James Savile Row

Hermèssence Ambre Narguilé for sure ....
    Oh please, if everyone around here is going to start telling the truth, I'm going to bed. - The House of Yes

Lalique Pour Homme