Code of Conduct

Default need recommendation: Carnation scent

Which one would you recommend? And why?

Caron's Poivre
    Caron's Coup de fouet
    Viloressi Garofano
    CDG Carnation

Bellogia seems to be too feminine for me. I am wondering - doesn't Cdg Carnation smell synthetic?

Isn't Coup de foet too harsh?

I haven't smelled Garofano yet
    Last edited by DreamerII; 17th September 2007 at 12:44 AM.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Default Re: need recommendation: Carnation scent

The CdG doesn't smell synthetic at all to me.. lots of spice though! A warm dose of cloves and pepper with the carnation. I love it.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Have you considered Hermes Equipage? Definitely no problems with masculinity there. Very classy masculine scent with a fair dose of carnation.
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    The CdG doesn't smell synthetic at all to me.. lots of spice though! A warm dose of cloves and pepper with the carnation. I love it.
    Agree! Comme des Garcons Carnation is a nice (though linear) carnation/clove scent. Not too much complexity, but a very satisfying scent nonetheless.

I second the Equipage suggestion! Pure class!

Off-Scenter

Another vote for CdG Carnation. It's extremely vivid, spicy, and long-lasting, with a very satifying vanilla drydown and a nice touch of dry rose in its heart.

The first two Caron scents you have listed are both impeccable! If you are looking for an unabashedly masculine carnation scent, then you could scarcely do better than Trussardi Uomo. I have a decant of CdG Carnation, and while I like it I also agree that it does come off a bit synthetic-like. Equipage is as great as everyone says it is, though imo it is less of a carnation scent than the Trussardi is.

If carnations were boxers, Villoresi would be their coach. Garofano is a left-rightpunch in your face. I hated it, but if carnation trouble is what you're looking for, that's the place to go (but don't say I didn't warn ya)
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Carnation seems to be a difficult flower for perfumers. As with roses, it must compare well with nature (for me), and I know of no perfume which really does that. Garofano (Villoresi's) is a carnation bomb, and it is quite possible that LV didn't even aim to copy nature. I enjoy sniffing this perfume on my wrist occasionally, and I love the whole composition. But I cannot wear it easily, and wouldn't want it on me for two days in a row. There is something heavy about it, yet longevity is superb!
    Equipage is much closer to reality.It's carnation is uplifting, fresh and intense for a while. Although my supply is low, I am hesitant about getting another bottle. Three hours of undiminished pleasure at best is a little unsatisfactory. I feel similar frustrations with other gems from that house. Maybe I should just borrow somebodies L'Air du Temps occasionally. It allows that flower to show its sweeter half also! It might be simpler to just wear a good rose, and get carnations from the florist.
    Last edited by narcus; 17th September 2007 at 10:30 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

I'm not familiar with any the scents you gents have named, but will mention one of DH's favorite fragrances: Demeter Wet Garden, which smells to us like the carnations in a florist's refrigerator.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Try Etro's Dianthus and also Santa Maria Novella's Carnation - I have a friend who just adores carnation fragrances and they swear by the SMN Carnation as being their favorite.
    "To be irreplaceable, one must always be different!" - Coco Chanel

visit: WWW.SNIFFAPALOOZAMAGAZINE.COM

LV Garofano is a really huge, outsize sort of scent: VERY, very green and strong with unbelievable longevity. Cloves are present but not as overpowering like in some carnation scents.

CdG's version is nice: sort of half way between the bold, floral freshness of the LV and the old-world clove & spices of SMN Garofano. Doesn't come off as being synthetic.
    ..."net", not "naut".

Poivre extrait is superior in all respects, a less sweet oriental, easy to wear, smells incredible w lots of hot pepper and a phenomenal opopanax drydown. But for the powerful, fire element of carnation, the masculine fougère Hermès Équipage is hard to beat. Poivre extrait is the better of the two, but Équipage (though a little dense) is a great one, energizing.
    Last edited by pluran; 18th September 2007 at 01:07 AM.

Cool Re: need recommendation: Carnation scent

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Poivre extrait is superior in all respects, a less sweet oriental, easy to wear, smells incredible w lots of hot pepper and a phenomenal opopanax drydown. But for the powerful, fire element of carnation, the masculine fougère Hermès Équipage is hard to beat. Poivre extrait is the better of the two, but Équipage (though a little dense) is a great one, energizing.
    And what about the edp of Poivre from Les Fontaines?. Is it similar to the extrait?

Eau de parfume Spray 50 ml - 80£. It's really not cheap.And what should be the price of extrait then..
    Last edited by DreamerII; 18th September 2007 at 01:46 AM.
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Quote Originally Posted by MarkDavid View Post
    Try Etro's Dianthus and also Santa Maria Novella's Carnation - I have a friend who just adores carnation fragrances and they swear by the SMN Carnation as being their favorite.
    ..... " and the old-world clove & spices of SMN Garofano", in the post that follows, are one and the same thing, or not?
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Basenotes Institution

I totally forgot about recommending Malmaison by Floris.

I own this, and its quite possibly the most realistic carnation scent I own. I rarely even wear it, because of this...but I find it scratches the carnation itch whenever I need it to. It's been compared to the Villoresi and the Santa Maria Novella here on the boards before...but it's in a class by itself.

Neither Poivre nor Coup de Fouet are too harsh. Try some Poivre in extrait (pure parfum)
    concentration, and I think you'll enjoy it very much. If you want something more subtle
    Coup de Fouet is the one.

Cacharel Pour L'Homme is a decent carnation-based frag too.

I've tried Garofano today
    Vampiric bloody scent
    I can not imagine anybody wearing this
    And what should be the occasion? Funeral?

Man, I think LV Garofano is great. Caron's Bellodgia is great too. Too bad you don't think they're right.

Equipage and L'Anarchiste might be the right ones I guess, although the latter tends more toward clove on the carnation-to-clove scale than Equipage.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.