Code of Conduct

Default "Makeover:" scents, toiletries, etc..

Alright, I'm revamping my wardrobe/style. I'm about to graduate from college, and I'm trying to upgrade from the cheap walmart stuff that was/is affordable to something more "classy." Now, I'm not trying to be an old man, just an older () man.

Any advice on some good cologne? (actually, this specific aspect is something I've been working on for many years, check my wardrobe) My three favorite scents are: Creed MI, Creed SMW, and Allure Homme. I like the Mugler cologne as well.

Any advice on a good shampoo/conditioner combo?

Body wash?

A good face wash? (I keep breaking out with whiteheads, and sometimes the full blown red acne, BTW).

Shaving cream? Shaving equipment?

.....lotion?

Get what I'm going for? I figured this would be easy, but I've been stuck in a rut of indecisiveness for almost a month!

..... help .....
    Last edited by joellark; 17th September 2007 at 05:56 AM.

Default Re: "Makeover:" scents, toiletries, etc..

Check out the Zirh and Lab Series stuff.

I use the "Clean" alpha-hydroxy facewash by Zirh, as well as their shampoo, conditioner, and most importantly, their pre-shave oil (definitely give this a try!)

I use Schick Quattro titanium razors, and use Nivea sensitive aftershave balm

If you use an electric razor some or all of the time, try Lab Series pre-electric shave lotion. I get such a good shave this way that I just end up using the electric most days, unless I have something I want to really get "smooth" for!

Go you your local mall and the department store(s) should have a few samples from Zirh or Lab series.

Bottom line Do's and Don'ts -
    DO shave IN or After your shower, when your face is moist
    DO use a pre-shave oil
    DO make sure to have a clean blade with every pass
    DO use aftershave lotion
    DO use moisturizing face lotion, unless you have already oily skin
    DON'T spray cologne on your neck for at least a few hours after shaving
    DON'T use a razor if it has any "snags" whatsoever
    DON'T press too hard; let the razor do the work!
    DON'T use a scented aftershave lotion if you have sensitive skin

I find that it's not so much the quality (and hence, price) of the products that I'm using, rather the fact that I am using the optional products (pre-shave oil, aftershave) in my regamine that contributes to the nicer skin. Nivea sensitive aftershave balm is only about 5 bucks, and you'll need to look no further for the perfect aftershave. The Zirh pre-shave oil is about 15 bucks, but well worth it. It makes it feel like you're shaving peach fuzz off a baby's butt.

Personally, I haven't found much reason to buy expensive shampoo and conditioners. I use the Zirh stuff because this really friendly SA hooked me up with 3 bottles each of shampoo and conditioner, just for buying one bottle of Zirh! This stuff is a bit pricier than the stuff at the drugstore, but I don't think you'd have any problem finding comparable-quality product AT the drugstore as well.

Hope this stuff helps! Try the Zirh oil and the Nivea balm!
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

I use:

Frederick Fekkai Glossing Shampoo
    -Super thick, best shampoo ever!

Kiehls Facial Fuel Face wash
    -Great clean feeling

Kiehls pre-shave oil
    -I agree, pre-shave oil is a must. Gets rid of razor burn. This one rinses off easily too!

Kiehls Eye Alert
    -Gets rid of dark circles

Kiehls Facial Fuel Face Lotion
    -Moisturizes and leaves skin feeling clean

Kiehls Bright aftershave toner
    -Takes the shine away from skin

The Art of Shaving Lavender shaving soap
    -The one for a shaving brush

Truefitt & Hill or The Art of Shaving both make great razors and shaving brushes. Since I started using shaving brushes, I would never go back to the canned cream. Shaving soap gets very thick and silky. Wonderful stuff!

The thing that I love about kiehls is that they have a facial regimen for all skin types.

i personally find the products from the body shop and lush very good.

they are expensive, but they are mostly made of natural ingrediences, which i think is better for your body.
    also, these companies dont do animal testing and do fair trade and stuff. totally worth supporting.

some of the products smell very strongly and girly. but the trick is to sniff the testers and take your time to find the right product. there are a few very nice products amongst all the fruity and flowery stuff. also, the lovely ladies that work there are very helpful.

i use and recommend:
    hand soap: karma (lush)
    face wash: tea tree (body shop)
    face cream: face protector for men (body shop)
    shaving cream: shaving cream for men (body shop)
    body wash: olive shower gel (body shop)
    shampoo: olive glossing shampoo (body shop)

Darn, the thread got moved! Anytime I post in this forum, I get only a few responses.. maybe because no one comes here?

They made some good suggestions here. L'Occitane makes some nice things for men from France, I use that line. So does Caswell Massey, they both have websites. I posted about a good face wash and toner on the "Face Wash?" thread by Avalon Organics.
    Last edited by beachroses; 12th October 2007 at 04:09 AM.

There are a lot of very good products out there; each have their strengths and weaknesses. What is best for you depends on your skin. Everyone's skin is a little different after all. You should be able to go into places like Macy's, Nordstrom's and Sephora and get free samples and/or demos of products.

I would also consider not just the high end boutique products but also the premium mass market brands. Really, you can spend a ton of money on boutique products and not get noticeably better results then if you used products from Nivia, Neutrogena and Oil of Olay. You can also pick up a lot of the boutique products on Ebay for a lot less. I've had good success in doing that.

In your 20's your main focus should be on prevention of damage rather then fixing damage. The best thing you can do to look good in your 50's is not what you put on your face but what you put in your mouth. Eating a healthy diet and getting exercise will do wonders as will managing your sun exposure. We have evolved millions of years under the sun and we need some sun but too much is aging. You have to find the right balance of living a healthy life (protecting our bodies) and living a fun life worth living (enjoying our bodies).

As far as products to use... The most important thing you can use at your age (I'm assuming 20's) is a good cleanser, especially for your face. Get something which deep cleans, but does not rob your skin of its natural oils. Don't use soap or alcohol based products on your face. Shaving is hard on the face and previous posts did an exceptional job with recommendations. I personally don't shave, keeping a well (and closely) trimmed beard. Something about taking a sharp blade to my face when I'm only half awake just does not sound right to me. There are a lot of women who don't date guys with facial hair so that is a consideration but I've never found my choices particularly limited.

As far as fragrance choices go... As a general rule, more mature men tend to use more complex and richer fragrances. The difference between smelling like a mature gentleman and having that "old man" smell usually has more to do with application then the fragrance. A lot of guys over apply and/or apply too densely in one area. Hold the sprayer further away and use fewer sprays with the stronger scents. A good application should not have the scent going much beyond your personal space. I've know people who you can smell them before you can see them. Nice fragrance but overwhelming and off putting if over applied.

In the end, get what works for you and don't get hung up on having to spend a lot of money doing it. Creed has a great line of products but personally I've never found one of their products which I preferred to something half or a quarter of the cost from another fragrance house.
    In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by joellark View Post
    Alright, I'm revamping my wardrobe/style. I'm about to graduate from college, and I'm trying to upgrade from the cheap walmart stuff that was/is affordable to something more "classy." Now, I'm not trying to be an old man, just an older () man.

Any advice on some good cologne? (actually, this specific aspect is something I've been working on for many years, check my wardrobe) My three favorite scents are: Creed MI, Creed SMW, and Allure Homme. I like the Mugler cologne as well.

Any advice on a good shampoo/conditioner combo?

Body wash?

A good face wash? (I keep breaking out with whiteheads, and sometimes the full blown red acne, BTW).

Shaving cream? Shaving equipment?

.....lotion?

Get what I'm going for? I figured this would be easy, but I've been stuck in a rut of indecisiveness for almost a month!

..... help .....
    Cut down on eating grain products and sugar to keep whiteheads away. The main cause of white heads is too much sugar (even complex carbs turn into sugar once they've veen broken down) or a sensitivity to dairy. No matter what B.S. doctors will tell you about it. I had breakouts for years before I altered my diet to include more quality protein and less sugar/carbs (your mileage may vary, of course).

Ideally a "non-soap" natural cleanser is best, and instead of rubbing it all over your face, pat it on and "push" it very gently into your skin, almost like a massage. Otherwise you're taking too much of the natural oil off the skin and it will get irritated over time and might even produce too much oil to compensate, which doesn't help with acne.

Look in a natural food store for a non-soap natural/organic cleanser.

Depending on what kind of beard you have, an electric razor usually works fine. I keep a constant 5'o clock shadow though, so it depends on whether you want a close shave every day.

I completely transformed my face by doing what I described above.
    Last edited by Maxwell; 26th October 2007 at 12:14 AM.