Code of Conduct

Default Penhaligon's English Fern or Trumper's Wild Fern?

I have tested these separately, but haven't had the opportunity to do a direct comparison.

Does anyone have an opinion as to which is the better of the two?

Default Re: Penhaligon's English Fern or Trumper's Wild Fern?

Penhaligon's

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by StewartGallacher View Post
    I have tested these separately, but haven't had the opportunity to do a direct comparison.

Does anyone have an opinion as to which is the better of the two?
    It might help us Stewart if you define 'better'? More longevity? Grassier? Etc?

I'm wondering the same thing.

I have thoroughly tested English Fern, but want to hold off buying it until I try Wild Fern.

I'm trying to get a sample of Wild Fern, but there seems to be a disagreement as to whether Trumper's still sends out free samples. I sent an email to the only address listed on the Trumper's site over a month ago, but haven't received any response or samples. No one claiming they still do send samples has been able to point me to an email address or phone number in order to request them, so I don't know what to do!
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Quote Originally Posted by Scentronic View Post
    I'm wondering the same thing.

I have thoroughly tested English Fern, but want to hold off buying it until I try Wild Fern.

I'm trying to get a sample of Wild Fern, but there seems to be a disagreement as to whether Trumper's still sends out free samples. I sent an email to the only address listed on the Trumper's site over a month ago, but haven't received any response or samples. No one claiming they still do send samples has been able to point me to an email address or phone number in order to request them, so I don't know what to do!
    Hi Scentronic! Two months ago, I e-mailed Trumper's for some samples. Here's their reply:
    Dear Sir,

Thank you for your email.

We have recently introduced a £3.00 charge for all sample packs (containing
    our full range of samples) sent outside the UK. This is to cover the cost of
    postage for the samples, which are of course themselves free of charge.

If you would like us to send you a sample pack, please provide us with a
    form of payment (card details or cheque in pounds sterling) by any of the
    following methods:

1. Fax- +44 (0)20 7281 9337

2. Telephone- +44 (0)20 7272 1765

3. Mail- Geo.F.Trumper Ltd
    Mail Order dept.
    166 Fairbridge Road
    London
    N19 3HT

4. email: enquiries@trumper.co.uk

If paying by Credit or Debit Card, please also provide the three digit
    security code on the reverse of the card, together with the expiry date.

Kind Regards

Miss Rebecca Baron
    Geo. F. Trumper (P&P) Ltd
    166 Fairbridge Road
    London
    N19 3HT

registered as above
    registered in England 187396
    Tel: ++44 (0) 207 272 1765
    Fax: ++44 (0) 207 281 9337

There was a thread on this by hirch_duckfinder on the emergency forum. He wound up buying both as I recall. Certainly he could give you the rundown, he did write an excellent comparative review at the time.
    Also, though difficult to find, you might just want to consider Crown Fougère (=Fern), that defunct house's contribution to the wonderful tradition of classic English greens.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Here is the post from the emergency board:

I recently bought Penhaligons English Fern, then acquired my second sample of Trumpers Wild Fern and wished I had bought that, so I got that too. I promised a comparison thread so here it is.

I had been holding this back for the main boards but now it seem we will be here for another while I though I would go ahead and post. Anyway, here are my thoughts:

On immediate application they smell very similar: soapy, ferny, and very green but within a minute they start to diverge albeit subtly at first.

The penhaligons deepens quickly to take up a larger olfactory spectrum with a clear separation between the citrus, which is stronger and reminds me a little of the citrus in Original Vetiver's opening, and the lavender and green core notes. The Trumper doesn't separate but stays more unified still projecting a clear fern accord.

After three minutes the divergence is more pronounced as the frags settle into their hearts. Penhaligon further opens and separates with a spicy note creeping in underneath and the santal already starting to emerge. The citric element remains fairly prominent. The balance is very nice. There is a little "dip" in the upper middle where that big soapy fern was sitting. Mr Trumper however sticks firmly around the middle register, still soapy but now with moss sliding under your feet. The ground feels springier here and a little less austere. The moss is greener than the spice and santal of the penhaligons.

The significant lavender note is apparent in both but again in the Trumper it is more integrated, I have to think harder to unpick it and separate it from the other notes. In the Penhaligons the very pretty lavender note sings a clear tune but in the Trumper he sits back in the band and harmonises. Herein lies the crux of the reason for my preference of the Trumper.

After 20-30 minutes, these are quite different fragrances. Penhaligons still retains a big citrus element, a high sharp lemony note which sits on top of the fine lavender with a little spicy wood propping up the whole affair. The effect is both sweeter and more acidic. Trumper is settling down into its moss with the lavender only now becoming more clearly separate. This still smells green, soapy and of "ferns" and considerably drier.

The development of both slows from here, more of a fade than a change. Trumper becomes mossier and then departs after a couple of hours unless you smell very close to the skin. A heavy application of**6-10 sprays can get 6-7 hours out of this. Penhaligons drops away also but leaves a very fine sandalwood note which persists for many hours, even on through the night in its heavy, low-no sillage way.

I prefer the trumper because of its blended accord. The penhaligons is more of a balance of separates than a blend. The trumper retains the "fern" illusion better for me and I prefer the greeness of the moss to the spicy wood of the santal. Add to this the excellent customer service of trumper (compared to poor from penhaligons) and the lower price (Trumper £28, Penhaligons £45) and I have a clear winner.
    Last edited by hirch_duckfinder; 17th September 2007 at 04:28 PM.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Penhaligons definetely.
    Last summer i finished two bottles,awesome stuff.
    Last edited by giannis; 17th September 2007 at 05:03 PM.

Thanks to all who replied, and particularly to you, hirch_duckfinder, for the eloquent and detailed comparison.