Code of Conduct

Smile I have Sécrétions Magnifiques on my Arm!

I am giving Etat Libre d'Orange's SM a try out today. Henri Bendel has their entire collection exclusively in New York. No samples were available, so I gave it a spritz. My first reaction is, wow, who is going to wear this? Acrid, wet, milky, salty, slightly sweet with a little blood thrown in. It smells somewhat like an idealized body fluid, without actually smelling like one. It is in the same school as Caron's l'Anarchiste. At $65 a bottle, it may be worth a try. On the other hand, their Eloge du Traître is the one that I will buy. It's the nephew of another Caron: Yatagan. A very interesting company, for sure. Two Caron associations, hmmm.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 18th September 2007 at 04:51 AM.

Default Re: I have Sécrétions Magnifiques on my Arm!

Naughty Ruggles...go wash that stuff off right now.

Post Thanks / Like

I just have this feeling that if I tried that, it'd feel sticky wherever I sprayed it...

I don't know, maybe that's just me.

Post Thanks / Like

I've never come across a fragrance more vomit enducing than secretions. The metallic bloody notes are too much to bare.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Secretions Magnifique sounds perfect for Halloween...no?

Seriously, I wanna smell it soon too. It sounds incredibly subversive and perhaps more like a CdG fragrance than CdG has the balls to release these days.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't see using SM for anything except for playing a practical joke on a friend. I truely believe you'll have more people running out of a public place breaking a sample of it on the ground opposed to those stink bomb vials.
    Last edited by matreal; 18th September 2007 at 04:24 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    perhaps more like a CdG fragrance than CdG has the balls to release these days.
    Ew, bad choice of words Mike!
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Post Thanks / Like

Indeed, the first time I smelled it from the bottle I nearly puked causing my eyes all watery. Yikes. I wouldn't even put this on my skin if someone paid me. On me it smells not as naughty as the label (spurting male genitalia) but perhaps more provocative: the smell of puss oozing from days old wound.

Post Thanks / Like

When I read the title of this post I had quie a different thought. You never know what kind of bodily fluids can end up where at times. However it sounds horrid, I'll have to find some.

On the 2nd day of wearing SM, I'm begining to think of Milk Weed.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSC View Post
    Ew, bad choice of words Mike!
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Milkweed, huh? Is it similar to how Calamus by CdG smells like milkweed?

Post Thanks / Like

It;s funny, when I first came across this line I swore that I would never try any of them because I didn't agree with their marketing images.

Today a friend sent me 3 samples from the line and one of them was the SM. I had read quite a lot of negative comments about this one, so of course it was the first one that I tried thinking that it couldn't be as bad as what people said. I was wrong and it is. To my nose it's the most disgusting smelling 'perfume' that I have ever tried.

On my other hand I have a drop of their Vierges et Torreros (I think that's the name) and you wouldn't believe that it comes from the same company that produced SM. V & T is a ,lovely scent, suited to both male and female wearers.

Barry

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Barry View Post
    It;s funny, when I first came across this line I swore that I would never try any of them because I didn't agree with their marketing images.

Today a friend sent me 3 samples from the line and one of them was the SM. I had read quite a lot of negative comments about this one, so of course it was the first one that I tried thinking that it couldn't be as bad as what people said. I was wrong and it is. To my nose it's the most disgusting smelling 'perfume' that I have ever tried.

On my other hand I have a drop of their Vierges et Torreros (I think that's the name) and you wouldn't believe that it comes from the same company that produced SM. V & T is a ,lovely scent, suited to both male and female wearers.

Barry
    I felt like SM stained my nostrils with it's scent and I couldn't get it away from me. Where as scents such as Fire Island make me feel sick after smelling it for 10 minutes, SM had me literally gagging upon the first 2 seconds of smelling it. The longer I wore it, the more it faded but I could still smell that metallic bloody note slightly and it was just enough for me. I had a friend smell it and they were gagging for a good 5 minutes and found themselves spitting constantly because they felt as if they could taste it.

Personally, I think I'd rather take a big whiff of a bucket of all the notes SM is supposed to have over SM itself.

Is Secretions Magnifiques available in a hair gel?

Post Thanks / Like

Ruggles, My buddy,
    Oh yeah? Well I'm not wearing any pants!

"I have Sécrétions Magnifiques on my Arm!"

I'm so sorry. Whoever did this to you will pay.

Sécrétions Magnifiques has nothing -- I mean, NOTHING -- on the Paris 1738 and Human Existence scents from Mugler's "Le Parfum" coffret. At least SM is somewhat wearable.

On the other hand, the Orgie scent from the coffret is FANTASTIC. I really wish Mugler would release it separately, but I don't see it happening.
    Life is a banquet...and I got botulism! -- Me

Today it morphed into "wet dog". It lasts and lasts!

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Bodily fluid, milkweed and wet dog. OK, I have to get a decant of this...the suspense is killing me.

When I tried this stuff at their Paris boutique, the nice sales lady just kind of shrugged and offered a "well, you asked for it" look.

I bought vrai blonde that day. It really is strange that they have some great scents and then... this.

The woman I was traveling with still talks about it all the time, referring to it as "that secretion perfume".

-b

BTW, this stuff isn't much worse than some cheeses. I was baking some brie the other day and my friend exclaimed "it smells like sex in here!" And truly, brie smells more like semen than SM. ymmv.
    Nihil Obstat Ben

[url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1883]My Wardrobe[/url]

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I just bought a decant of it last night - I can't wait to wear it and freak out my boyfriend...

Perhaps this will be my Halloween costume this year - no outfit necessary, I'll just walk around smelling like bodily fluid and gross everyone out.

I think you may end up smelling more like a wet dog.

Off-Scenter

Well, I did a skin test of Secretions Magnifiques today, and I have to say I dislike it intensely. Here are my initial sampling notes:

Secretions Magnifique hardly lives up to either it's outre reputation or its puerile pakaging. It's nothing more than a powdery, milky, and intensely sweet composition that's more cloying than it is disturbing. No semen, no sweat, no blood, and nothing animalic here. In fact, it's very much like Pepto-Bismol!

Mind you, I still detest it - in part because I'd hoped for something extraordinary (if not pleasant) and in part because it's sweet and agressively synthetic enough to be repulsive. Repulsive without novelty = no interest on my part.

A "scrubber," but not for the usually cited reasons.
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 25th September 2007 at 06:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    Well, I did a skin test of Secretions Magnifiques today, and I have to say I dislike it intensely. Here are my initial sampling notes:

Secretions Magnifique hardly lives up to either it's outre reputation or its puerile pakaging. It's nothing more than a powdery, milky, and intensely sweet composition that's more cloying than it is disturbing. No semen, no sweat, no blood, and nothing animalic here. In fact, it's very much like Pepto-Bismol!

Mind you, I still detest it - in part because I'd hoped for something extraordinary (if not pleasant) and in part because it's sweet and agressively synthetic enough to be repulsive. Repulsive without novelty = no interest on my part.

A "scrubber," but not for the usually cited reasons.
    Sounds like everyone is getting something different.

I got nothing but blood and metal. I'll have to retest it but I must say I'm very hesitant to put that stuff on me again/

I find it somewhat disturbing that a company would put out something repulsive and imply that it's the smell of semen. Where's the game plan in that?

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I find it somewhat disturbing that a company would put out something repulsive and imply that it's the smell of semen. Where's the game plan in that?
    Well if Vulva can do it with the female anatomy why not Etat Libre d'Orange with semen?

Seriously, I think ETdO is trying to push the envelope a little...perhaps with some nod to irony, over-the-top, etc. (in a John Waters kind of way) and also, honestly, to get people talking about them. Like we are right now.

Post Thanks / Like

I loved the marketing ideal the Etat and it encouraged me to test their scents above others. However, after testing most of their line, I am beginning to think it was a marketing ploy to cover up their lackluster effort in making fragrances.

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by matreal View Post
    I loved the marketing ideal the Etat and it encouraged me to test their scents above others. However, after testing most of their line, I am beginning to think it was a marketing ploy to cover up their lackluster effort in making fragrances.
    I've liked a couple of their scents, namely Charogne (which is as weird as Secretions Magnifiques is made out to be) and Vierges & Toreros, but by and large I've found the remainder of their scents mediocre, undistinguished, and sometimes even plaigeristic (if that's a word).

Wink Re: I have Sécrétions Magnifiques on my Arm!

Well if Vulva can do it with the female anatomy why not Etat Libre d'Orange with semen?

Seriously, I think ETdO is trying to push the envelope a little...perhaps with some nod to irony, over-the-top, etc. (in a John Waters kind of way) and also, honestly, to get people talking about them. Like we are right now.
    The French should stick to what they do best: CHIC. Irony was never their strength. Can you say French Lover?
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 25th September 2007 at 07:34 PM.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

The French should stick to what they do best: CHIC. Irony was never their strength. Can you say French Lover?

I agree. However, for a while there, Comme des Garcons was the epitome of irony in fragrance. Now with Play, the Luxe series...they're not so anymore, but let's face it: Odeur 53 is irony in a bottle.

I agree. However, for a while there, Comme des Garcons was the epitome of irony in fragrance. Now with Play, the Luxe series...they're not so anymore, but let's face it: Odeur 53 is irony in a bottle.
    But, CdG is Japanese.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I ordered a small decant of Secretions Maagnifiques from The Perfumed Court and I was incredibly excited about trying this scent which has gotten such strong reactions from Basenoters (and Luca Turin also).

I sprayed on twice (both on the same arm) around sometime in the evening - at the end of my day.

The initial top notes smelled, for about ten seconds, like a highly chlorinated swimming pool - you know that nostril searing smell that chlorine (or bleach for that matter) gives off when it's in a body of water. My initial thought was...oh this isn't that bad. How wrong I was.

The next notes that emerged (quickly) were exactly what the official notes listed by Etat Libre d'Orange are: blood, something thick and viscuous [milky] and Ruggles impression: wet dog. It was an incredible and unbelievably wretched smell! The impression of standing, dank and dirty water came back and forth. The blood note was wet. To keep from getting sick to my stomach, I started washing the dishes in my kitchen (hot water, dishwashing soap, lots of suds...) and the nauseousness calmed down a little. I could almost 'taste' the smell. I felt like I was literally holding a bloody wet dog in my arms, standing in a dirty swimming pool. With perhaps milk being poured over my head.

After about 5 minutes, I couldn't take it anymore (my mouth was watery with saliva...I was really having a strong physical revulsion to the scent) I scrubbed and scrubbed with soap and the smell finally died down enough for me to only smell it if I sniffed my skin close (this stuff LASTS AND LASTS). The next morning I could still smell it on the arm where I scrubbed it off.

Funny thing: I just did a swap with another Basenoter and they included a small vial of SM in with all of the other samples, for me to try - since they know I like the strange stuff. I giggled when I saw the SM vial...here we go again, I thought. I was not going to dare try it again...but one of the other samples in the package was in a little plastic sleeve and the sleeve perhaps had gotten a little SM on it, because I got the smell instantly as soon as I brought it to my nose. Ick! I promptly replaced the vial in a new clean sleeve. But still for the next couple hours I could faintly detect the SM on my fingers.

You've been warned!

If anyone would like to try this, please PM me - I'll send you the decant I bought.

It's pure "lactovit" metallic and seaweedy hehe
    Addictive.
    Read my perfume reviews at: http://perfumenoparatodos.blogspot.com/

Digital art portfolio: www.dreamlandpostcards.com