Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1

    Default Longetivity VS Quantity of Juice in the Bottle

    The less juice remains in the bottle, the more it is exposed to the air inside the bottle. So the faster it can get spoiled or something. Is that true?

    Somehow, I notice that few scents that have very little juice left don't last as long anymore. I don't know if that's my perception, or a fact, and if so, if that's because the bottles lasted a long while or because of the air as such.

    Do any of you notice that you frags don't last as long with time?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Longetivity VS Quantity of Juice in the Bottle

    i agree with that. have had some bottles with just a ut of fragrance in the bottom, and when I had not used the for a while, they seemed to be spoiled when I reached for them again.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Longetivity VS Quantity of Juice in the Bottle

    Quote Originally Posted by Boal View Post
    The less juice remains in the bottle, the more it is exposed to the air inside the bottle. So the faster it can get spoiled or something. Is that true?
    Theoritically it sounds good....However i dont have any bottle thats used more than 10% ....so it would be a while before i could corroborate this theory

    gupts

  4. #4

    Default Re: Longetivity VS Quantity of Juice in the Bottle

    Would that mean that splash bottles are more vurnable to spoilage as air is let in every time the cap is removed?
    For swap:
    1. 90-95% full 2.5 oz bottle of Creed Orange Spice
    2. 99% full 1.6 oz bottle of Kenzo pour Homme
    3. 90% full 4 oz bottle of Creed Millesime Imperial

    Looking for: GIT, Baie de Genièvre, Idole de Lubin, Chergui, decant of FM Carnal Flower, decant of vintage Tabarome

  5. #5

    Default Re: Longetivity VS Quantity of Juice in the Bottle

    Quote Originally Posted by abg1234 View Post
    Would that mean that splash bottles are more vurnable to spoilage as air is let in every time the cap is removed?
    Yes. Splash bottles seem to prone to expire faster that the sealed atomizers. Its not a problem if you use them alot, but if you let a tiny bit sit at the bottom for a while out on your counter it might spoil. At least that is my experience.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Longetivity VS Quantity of Juice in the Bottle

    I think this theory could be true. I've noticed that most of the bottles that I have which have gone off a little are those that are less than 75% full. It could be that those bottles are the ones I used more of because they are older and come from the time when I had a smaller rotation-- whereas now I have so much stuff that anything I buy never gets below the 85% mark.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Longetivity VS Quantity of Juice in the Bottle

    It's likely to be like what you're thinking. But there is always an exception, my small bottle (11 ml) of Polo Sport (splash), is still good after 10 years. Really amazing! While Fahrenheit, which was bought at the same time and at the same size, has already gone bad.
    Current Top 5

    1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

  8. #8

    Default Re: Longetivity VS Quantity of Juice in the Bottle

    It's a scientific principle... longevity is proven to be proportional to the quantity left in the bottle. That is to say, when the quantity decreases, longevity decreases.

    Actually, no, that's just me being a dork. I think I just want it to last longer near the end - if that were true, I wouldn't use as much, and I would run out slowly! Wishful thinking. But maybe there's actually something to it!

    I wouldn't really know, because I have enough juice that I can't run out! I can only run out of samples and decants. But even they last awhile in my house.

    Cheers, Dave

  9. #9

    Default Re: Longetivity VS Quantity of Juice in the Bottle

    Ok, well, I am not talking about 2-year old bottles, but 5+ year olds.

    I have many bottles in rotation, but still there are the ones I am passionate about and then don't use for a while. Also, bottles in regular rotation - the ones hat are 85% full now will be 15% full in three years, I guess that's what happens with few bottles of mine now.

    I begin to feel like using up some scents as soon as I can and getting new bottles, rather than keeping the remaining juices while they lose strength.

    Maybe in hunting for new scents I am dissapointed by all this, because I have to keep re-freshening my older scents at the same time. Now THAT is costly.

  10. #10
    DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

    kbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The Big Blue Marble
    Posts
    18,201
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Longetivity VS Quantity of Juice in the Bottle

    Or, you could consider decanting the remains of any lower level fragrance bottles into 10ml or larger decant containers and fill them to the very top, thereby reducing the oxygen level the liquid is exposed to over time. I do that with larger buys of expensive extra virgin olive oil--pour it into clean, dark and smaller bottles and refrigerate to keep it fresh longer.

    The alcohol content of most EdT's especially seem to me to be higher than the EdP's and therefore theoretically should have more longevity IMO, but constant exposure of the contents of any bottle to an exchange of air would bleed off the alcohol evaporate faster. Splash bottles in particular would do this as oxygen is constantly being exchanged as you use it, compared to the constantly increasing (as liquid levels decline) but still relatively captive air in spray/roll-on bottles.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

  11. #11

    Default Re: Longetivity VS Quantity of Juice in the Bottle

    Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    The alcohol content of most EdT's especially seem to me to be higher than the EdP's and therefore theoretically should have more longevity IMO, but constant exposure of the contents of any bottle to an exchange of air would bleed off the alcohol evaporate faster.
    kbe,
    Doesn't that beg the question? As far as I know, alcohol, being highly volatile, burns off very quickly, helping distribute scents, and leaves other substances behind to continue to produce fragrance.

    And continuing that thought, the EDP, with a larger percentage of actual fragrance (the other substances), should last longer, other things being equal. That's what I thought, anyway.

    And if that's not true, doesn't that make it sort of pointless to have an EDP formulation, if the EDT will produce scent longer?

    Cheers, D

  12. #12
    DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

    kbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The Big Blue Marble
    Posts
    18,201
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Longetivity VS Quantity of Juice in the Bottle

    Quote Originally Posted by Cognoscento View Post
    kbe,
    Doesn't that beg the question? As far as I know, alcohol, being highly volatile, burns off very quickly, helping distribute scents, and leaves other substances behind to continue to produce fragrance.

    And continuing that thought, the EDP, with a larger percentage of actual fragrance (the other substances), should last longer, other things being equal. That's what I thought, anyway.

    And if that's not true, doesn't that make it sort of pointless to have an EDP formulation, if the EDT will produce scent longer?

    Cheers, D
    We are talking about the alcohol/air interface inside a closed container and the amount of alcohol molecules that will move from the surface of the fragrance into the enclosed (small) volume of air, some of which is already at the saturation point with said fragrance molecules and not how long a scent lasts when applied? If so I suspect that small volume of air would reach capacity very quickly and not deplete the alcohol until a huge volume of unsaturated air had contacted the liquid over time.

    I don't think that an area of enclosed air that is not constantly being 100% or high-volume exchanged will bleed off alcohol to a great extent unless it is totally exchanged for alcohol-free air often. I could be wrong but it seems to defy what I understand of physics to think it would.

    As for the EDP formulation lasting longer than the EDT--when applied-- I think we are in agreement that it is the oils/individual fragrance component percentage in EDP that does that and not the carrier/solvent (alcohol). But inside a closed container some of the volatile oil and fragrance goes into molecular mix along with /change of air, the alcohol and so the fragrance should lose some of its character after time with increased air exposure. Decanting to smaller, fuller and thus less air contact containers should delay this loss of character.
    Last edited by kbe; 18th September 2007 at 11:11 PM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

  13. #13

    Default Re: Longetivity VS Quantity of Juice in the Bottle

    Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    Or, you could consider decanting the remains of any lower level fragrance bottles into 10ml or larger decant containers and fill them to the very top, thereby reducing the oxygen level the liquid is exposed to over time. I do that with larger buys of expensive extra virgin olive oil--pour it into clean, dark and smaller bottles and refrigerate to keep it fresh longer.

    T
    Problem number one with that is that decanting 100 bottles with remaining 50-75 ml would be such a boring and long task, I think, finding so many smaller containers, then finding space for several hundreds containers... Any scent that I like and buy is precious to me, regardless of the actual cost, so doing that only with few "expensive" frags does not make sense to me.
    Secondly, using original bottle is a aesthetic experience to me which would be lost with so many decants.

    Yet, I still wonder if you or others notice this to be rather true that when the there is only 10-30% of the juice in the bottle, it loses potency / strength. Because to me that would mean that once the bottle gets half empty, it makes sense to do as KBE said, to decant it, and/or use the remaining juice fast enough and get a newer bottle.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Longetivity VS Quantity of Juice in the Bottle

    kbe,
    Ah, I totally misread the premise, which was that you were talking about the activity inside the bottle, not outside. I follow you now, albeit in a less scientific fashion. I failed in my reading comprehension test this time!

  15. #15

    Default Re: Longetivity VS Quantity of Juice in the Bottle

    Hell, just apply more sprays! In that way, you'll use up the bottle quicker and can buy a fresh bottle sooner.

  16. #16

    CologneJunkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Overland Park/Lawrence, KS
    Posts
    4,789
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Longetivity VS Quantity of Juice in the Bottle

    I have a very near empty bottle of Bvlgari Black & a full back-up bottle. I've had the near-empty bottle for about a year & a half, & the back up bottle for about a month or so. I sprayed one squirt from each bottle on the back of each hand. For what it's worth, I couldn't tell a difference between the smell on either hand.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Similar Threads

  1. Calling Cartier Must Experts!
    By JaimeB in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 26th March 2013, 04:30 PM
  2. Guerlain Vetiver (Vintage juice and bottle) question
    By Jock_With_Scents in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 9th January 2010, 08:02 AM
  3. Transferring Juice to Your Own Container / Bottle
    By NaturalAndSubtle in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 18th December 2006, 08:02 PM
  4. The bottle is so cool you wished the juice was better
    By OlfaOmega in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 30th October 2006, 09:53 PM
  5. Which Creed comes in a 'gold' flacon?
    By Lightninrod in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 15th February 2006, 08:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000