Code of Conduct

Question Lanvin Arpege Pour Homme

I know this fragrance came out 2 years ago but I recently discovered it and am floored by it. I was also happy to learn that Bois de Jasmin believes it -- as well as Terre d'Hermes and Dior Homme -- is one of the greatest compositions to come out that year in any category. (I would personally venture to add 'in the last several years'). I sense the citrus veil in the opening but after that it's all soft iris, nutmeg, and a dark, rich vanilla. It is really gorgeous, rich, and exquisite. And one can find it on the web at very low prices! Just curious what others think about it because the reviews I've read are about as juxtaposed as possible, some saying its citric lightness, others, dark rich and brooding. Opinions? Comments? Yay or nay? Just trying to get the word out about this spectacular stuff.
    Last edited by nthny; 18th September 2007 at 05:35 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Lanvin Arpege Pour Homme

I find that it smells absolutely wonderful on other people - on my skin it's quite boring and unexciting. Go figure.

I absolutely love the top and middle of Arpege Pour Homme....but the bottom became the unoriginal Tonka, Sandalwood, Vanilla ending. I think it is long lasting and the bottle is also cool. I jumped on the bandwagon early when it first came out, but tired of the basenotes quickly and never made it through the 1.7 oz. bottle I owned.

I just recently re-purchased this because TJ Maxx has the 1.7 OZ for $10!! They also have the 3.4 OZ for $16.

I remember a lady at church telling my wife "someone smells so good...I think it's Chuck's cologne."

As I receive very few compliments outside my family, that made it worth getting back. It's a warm, sweet cologne that should be good for Fall and Winter. And for 10 bucks...a no-brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    I absolutely love the top and middle of Arpege Pour Homme....but the bottom became the unoriginal Tonka, Sandalwood, Vanilla ending. I think it is long lasting and the bottle is also cool. I jumped on the bandwagon early when it first came out, but tired of the basenotes quickly and never made it through the 1.7 oz. bottle I owned.
    Agree with everything eloquently written here. We are of the same mind on this one. In my case it was a 1.0 Oz.

Damn it! Where's the deo stick for this frag? I need it now.

I really like this stuff, but find it unwearable. It's not the fragrance's fault; however, the tonka (or something in it) just gives me an awful headache. A beautifully blended frag, though, and one I really wish I COULD wear.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

I and several others already mentioned its similarity to Burberry Touch. I like them both. Right now I have new bottle of Arpege, when and if I will be done with it I will probably buy Touch. Or Lanvin, whichever will be cheaper.
    I find it modern, not groundbreaking, but pleasant and I get lots of compliments from other people.

The reason I love it so much is because of the beauty in its craftsmanship. I find it a real fragrance you can actually write about. That is, it changes, layers are handed from one phase to another, elements highlight other elements. And on the surface the creamyness of this fragrance can be attributed to the vanilla and tonka but really focusing on it, the florals add their own richness. Inside the creamy tonka, vanilla, and nutmeg gourmand elements are thick soft white petals which makes this fascinating to me. Thanks for the replies
    Last edited by nthny; 18th September 2007 at 11:55 PM.

I worked promoting this scent during its Australian launch and found it an interesting scent at the time... however due to over-exposure (spraying cards by the dozen for a full fortnight), I became disinterested in it.

I have now (some 2 years later) come to re-try this fragrance in a completely different climate and environment.
    I am sampling it again today and have been blown away at the tender play between its citrus and extraordinary sandalwood. Every time I turn my head Im in awe at how damn good I smell!
    I see another purchase on the imminent horizon.

I can't wear it because of the heavy tonka base -- it gives me a headache. Nevertheless, I think this one of the best made men's frags (esp. for the price!!!) that's come out in the last few years. I just wish I could wear it without the side effects.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

The first time I wore this I thought it was boring and a bit cloying. I've worn it since then with a lighter application and really think it is a really nice scent. I realized that I had over sprayed the first time and that had ruined it. This one really needs a light touch to work it's subtle magic. I do like it now...a lot. Does anyone find this very similar to Armand Basi Homme? I do. Armand Basi Homme seems a bit weaker though. Very similar though.
    Last edited by Jixjax; 13th October 2007 at 03:07 PM.

I just tested it yesterday. I love it!!!
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

This is truly a scent that must be appreciated in the fall and winter season. Enjoy!

I'm wearing this today. I'm enjoying it alot, and I got a nice compliment from my Mom this morning on it.

It is lasting and projecting better than I recalled. Just 4 sprays and that's good.

I have an unopened bottle I got at Marshalls last Christmastime - guess I know what I'll be wearing tomorrow.

I want to like this fragrance and find a certain similarity to it with Dior Homme, but both of these fragrances, to my nose contain an certain irritating "Johnson and Johnson baby powder " note. To me this gives a feeling of cheap drugstore unoriginality.

Thumbs up Re: Lanvin Arpege Pour Homme

My aunt always used Arpege, so this is the smell I recall on her since my childhood. When the male version came out, I wanted to try it and it conquered me at first smell, it was so different to all the rest male fragancies on the market. I still wear it butu only during winter. I can't bear it on summer.
    Really good one, boys!!!!

http://xikoperfumista.blogspot.com