Code of Conduct

Question Curious if my fledgling favorites show a pattern...

After introducing myself as a former perfume monogamist (one scent for 10+ years), I have since tested dozens of perfumes and developed a very small pool of favorites since discovering Basenotes several months ago. I'm still very much an amateur about scents, and I was curious if anyone would like to take a crack at identifying common notes or threads among my favorites. Do I seem to be gravitating towards a certain type (e.g., florals, orientals, gourmand)? Or is this small selection somewhat eclectic without any rhyme or reason....

My can't-stop-sniffing-myself favorites:
    Bulgari: Eau Parfumée au Thé Rouge & Eau Parfumée au Thé Blanc
    Mûre et Musc Extrême
    Tea for Two
    Let Me Play the Lion
    Narciso Rodriguez for Her
    Gaultier2
    Floris Pink Grapefruit (moreso in the summer)
    Cipresso di Toscana
    Feminitè du Bois
    edited to add: Omnia

And most recently, Alien and Flowerbomb.

Is it possible to look at all of those and say, "Oh, you obviously like [this] note or [this] type." I might even be looking for some "If you like X perfume, you'll probably like Y" recommendations! :-)

Any insight would be very much appreciated. Thank you!
    Last edited by tang; 18th September 2007 at 09:18 PM.
    Sniff and let sniff.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Curious if my fledgling favorites show a pattern...

I'm one of those, too, who looks at her collection from different perspectives to seek a pattern from which I might prognosticate additional desirable scents. For a while it looked like the pattern was "one hit wonder"--I liked one frag from each of a dozen different perfume houses. Generally, it looks like you have a diverse wardrobe. Congrats! You have more tea and woody notes on average, but you had that figured out already, I'm sure.

We don't have any favorite scents in common (it's not you; it's me; I'm everybody's scent-opposite), so I'm not able to suggest other logical scents to try.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

I think your self-perceived preference for florals and orientals is accurate. You also seem to gravitate towards vanilla, tea, and musk notes.

If you like Gaultier2, try Ava Luxe's Love's Truish Blue Light for a light, sweet, warm, vanilla musk. Ava Luxe has an outstanding afforadable selection of orientals and musk based scents.

Vanilla:
    Dior, Addict and Hypnotic Poison
    Cristobal Balenciaga

Tea:
    Creed Silver Mountain Water

Musk:
    Malle, Musc Ravageur
    Renee, Musk
    Last edited by Sloan; 19th September 2007 at 03:29 AM.

I had noticed the tea theme, but a little lightbulb went off with the wood and musk notes you both pointed out. I've just been playing around with Sephora's fragrance finder tonight, and when I enter some woody favorites, it recommends others that I know I like but that I didn't realize were woody types.

With my newbie nose, I've just sort of been stumbling around by instinct -- I actually ordered a sample of Musc Ravageur last night, and put Cristobal and Silver Mountain Water on my "to test" list a couple of days ago. I also have Ave Luxe samples of Cafe Noir and Kretek that I haven't had a chance to try yet. It's very nice to hear that my instincts are on track.

Thank you for your responses!
    Sniff and let sniff.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tang View Post
    I've just sort of been stumbling around by instinct
    You think the rest of us really do it so differently?
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.