Code of Conduct

Default Montale Bois Vanille

WOW!! Just purchased this one from Perfumes Raffy and man is this amazing. Any fans of Creeds Bois du Portugal will love this one. This is an amazing woody scent that has a light vanilla accent as well as resinous note with a hint of incense. Absolutely a masterpiece by what I think is another amazing scent from probably the most underrated nose, Pierre Montale!

Boise Vanille notes:
    lemon, geranium, bergamot, lavender, cedar leaves from Canada, Jamaican pepper, iris, patchouli, vanilla, tonka bean.

Default Re: Montale Bois Vanille

I liked it a lot, but in the end it was almost too much for me. I felt like I was smothered by it... TONS of spice, TONS of vanilla. My empty sample is now 3 weeks old and it still reeks of it.
    Yeah, I do like it but I don't think I can make it work for me.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Basenotes Institution

I have a sample...maybe I'll wear it tomorrow.

Cairomerta...why didn't you order this from Montale Paris? I didn't see it on their website but then again their website is a disgrace!

Quote Originally Posted by cairomerta View Post
    This is an amazing woody scent that has a light vanilla accent as well as resinous note with a hint of incense.

I agree that it's an amazing wood scent--even the vanilla has a woody bent to it--it is more like vanilla pod than the usual vanilla in fragrances. The fragrance is incredibly long lasting--the last few hours as a skin scent. But in the end, on my skin the iris comes through and it becomes quite powdery.

Hi paintrman,

I usually order all my scents from Montale Paris but when i went to Perfumes Raffy today ( I live across the street from it) i smelled it and had to buy it right away. I couldn't wait to order it so i just took it. I love it!!
    Last edited by cairomerta; 19th September 2007 at 04:54 AM.

WOW!! Just purchased this one from Perfumes Raffy and man is this amazing. Any fans of Creeds Bois du Portugal will love this one. This is an amazing woody scent that has a light vanilla accent as well as resinous note with a hint of incense. Absolutely a masterpiece by what I think is another amazing scent from probably the most underrated nose, Pierre Montale!
    Boise Vanille notes:
    lemon, geranium, bergamot, lavender, cedar leaves from Canada, Jamaican pepper, iris, patchouli, vanilla, tonka bean.
    This sounds good to me. But who says Pierre Montale creates all of these great perfumes? Is he another Villoresi, or is his function similar to Serge Lutens' at Shiseido, or that of Frederick Malle's for Les Editions? Something odd seems to have accompanied Parfums Montale from the start: they communicate very little, and they have failed to establish (and maintain) a good relationship with their customers. I haven't received their monthly newsletter since May, and wonder why they have a contact address when nobody y seems to be responsible answering inquiries or orders even.
    Last edited by narcus; 19th September 2007 at 04:35 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Basenotes Institution

Wearing my sample today (from Luckyscent) - it's extremely nice. Here's my thoughts:

- I don't get the killer vanilla that Robbie mentioned above (I was expecting something in the vein of...Gaultier2), the vanilla bean note is just right on my skin and is cuddly/snuggly but also NOT sweet...how they do this, I don't know.
    - I would classify this as a refreshing gourmand - a few new scents are falling into this classification for me (Rousse by Serge Lutens, Bois de Paradis by Parfums Delrae, etc) and by this I mean: spicy, sweet, dry and bright all simultaneously.
    - About an hour on my skin, it took on a distinct 'Moroccan' personality (akin to L'Air du Desert Moracain by Tauer minus the tar). My aunt used to have a Casswell Massey room spray in her guest bathroom when I was growing up and Bois Vanille replicates that same exact smell on my skin...it was startling. I think it's a cumin note but it has a particular note to it that might be described as 'varnish'. Don't let this scare you, this cumin/varnish note (or whatever it is) is very subtle.
    - When I smell my skin close, I get the wood note from Gucci Pour Homme - a very masculine skin scent
    - Longevity and sillage is classic Montale strength: strong

Bois Vanille stands heads and shoulders above the other 'new' Montale I tested 'Fruits of the Musk' (really low longevity).

I don't own a Montale scent yet (I am obsessing over a bottle of Black Oud), but Bois Vanille would be the perfect gourmand for my wardrobe.

Hi mikeperez23,

I really suck at representing what i am smelling but i thank you for your description because you did this scent a lot more justice than i did. I really do love this scent. It is amazing and you nailed it with your description.

Basenotes Institution

Hi mikeperez23,

I really suck at representing what i am smelling but i thank you for your description because you did this scent a lot more justice than i did. I really do love this scent. It is amazing and you nailed it with your description.
    You're welcome cairomerta - welcome to Basenotes.

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    Something odd seems to have accompanied Parfums Montale from the start: they communicate very little, and they have failed to establish (and maintain) a good relationship with their customers. I haven't received their monthly newsletter since May, and wonder why they have a contact address when nobody y seems to be responsible answering inquiries or orders even.
    Very well said!

Something odd seems to have accompanied Parfums Montale from the start: they communicate very little, and they have failed to establish (and maintain) a good relationship with their customers. I haven't received their monthly newsletter since May, and wonder why they have a contact address when nobody y seems to be responsible answering inquiries or orders even.
    I bought my bottle of Black Aoud less than a month ago and am certainly not happy about them mucking around with their prices. Nor am I happy about the recent realization that, if I purchased it from Paris, I would have had the option of having extra oud added (which, according to one Basenoter, doesn't necessarily increase its longevity) - for the price I paid, such an option shouldn't have to exist!

I love my bottle of Black Aoud but, until they sort out the way they conduct business, my money's going elsewhere.
    Last edited by Trebor; 19th September 2007 at 07:10 PM.

And now they have this bizzare sale and are selling off their stock at rediculously (for them) low prices. Is this the beginning of the end for Montale...?
    Current favourites: Silver Mountain Water - Terre d'Hermes - Erolfa - Fou d'Absinthe - Sequoia

I don't think it's the end. It would seem that these extremely low prices are Montale getting rid of outdated stock or possibly returned stock. This keeps the product off Ebay where they don't have any control. I just bought a bottle from the Swiss site for $76 plus postage...not $210 plus postage. It's a fantastic deal is you aware of the fact that the product might not be totally fresh (but then you never really know when you order online).