Code of Conduct

Default Most Despised Frag of All Time on Basenotes?

What's your consensus on this one, O Fellow Basenotees? What IS the most universally hated fragrance on the board? (I'd set up a poll if only I knew how.)

L'Anarchiste? A*men? Kouros? Jai Karate? Jade East? Yatagan? Kingdom? There are SO MANY out there that are love/hate kind of frags -- I can't wait to hear the multitude of candidates you all have!

Weigh in on this one -- the results will be entertaining, if nothing else!

I vote for L'Anarchiste, a scent I have (!!!) yet to try. I'm just going by sheer number of bad reviews I've read and nasty board comments I've seen. (Yes, I know you all thought I'd choose my arch-nemesis A*men, but I can't deny that many, many people out there love it and defend its cocoa-covered, tar slathered evil. I thought, too, about pure kitsch sh-t along the lines of Jade East and Jai Karate, but they're so dated and/or discontinued that it's hardly worth the bother. Avon also hardly counts here, as so few Basenoters even give Avon's few good frags a nod, let alone their many more bad ones. Also the sheer plethora of Avon frags made over time can make one's head swim.)

So then, let the bloodbath commence!
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 19th September 2007 at 03:14 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Default Re: Most Despised Frag of All Time on Basenotes?

Dear Tvlampboy (strange name? what does it means?),

personally I would say Opium Ph, on the basis of what I was expecting it to be (just think of the woman version).
    The other one Art of Shaving Sandalwood, very expensive and not good at all.

Greetings

Im gonna have to vote for the extremely rancid JOOP POUR HOMME.

This half-sucked-jube lolly-water turns my stomach at the slightest whiff (much like tequila actually, but thats a whole other story)...
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 19th September 2007 at 11:05 AM. Reason: typos

Generally, BOSS products don't have (m)any fans around here. Kouros, A*Men, Le Male, even AdG to some extent, they all are hated by some but loved by others, although many people will be naming AdG in this thread.

Umm, Edit: I thought this was a discussion about the consensus on BN, not about personal opinions. As for personal opinions, I think L'eau d'Issey is absolutely the worst headache inducer, hate it very much.
    Last edited by fakepurseninja; 19th September 2007 at 11:06 AM.

Acqua di Gio, perhaps, not so much for what it actually is, but for what it represents: the ozonic-aquatic wasteland of mass fragrance conformity.

At the other end of the painbow, Sécretions Magnifiques seems to be building an anti-following rather swiftly
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Another vote for JOOP

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Im gonna have to vote for the extremely rancid JOOP POUR HOMME.

This half-sucked-jube lolly-water turns my stomach at the slightest whiff (much like tequila actually, but thats a whole other story)...
    Even before I saw Dimitri's post, I thought of JOOP. Well, OK, the truth is I can't think for myself, so I'm just passively agreeing with people! But seriously, that frag is just as appealing to me as those cars that drive by with speakers that rattle the entire neighborhood. But I do like tequila.

I'm hoping that we can all take up a collection to send emergency bottles of A*men to TV, who is its most ardent proponent, and may run out if we don't chip in soon! Call 1-800-Send-Amen now... operators are standing by!

My own discoveries would have to include the latest couple Antonio Banderas fragrances. The trauma of smelling them has blocked their names from my conscious mind. For these I achieved my own personal records for handwashing speed.

To anyone I may have offended - sorry about that, and I'm sure I have frags that would make you sick, if that makes you feel any better!

Cheers, Dave

JOOP! is easily the most despised fragrance on Basenotes. Although to my nose, I strongly disagree. It's a question of volume. One or two sprays of JOOP! is actually very pleasant. Any more and it is indeed headache inducing.

Personally...I have trouble thinking of one scent I really hate, although CHAZ and cheapies from the 70's and 80's come to mind. There was copper colored scent that was rancid.

The original Lagerfeld when over-applied is just horrid.

Wow -- things seem to be running very much against Joop! right now. It'll be interesting to see if the pink-colored juice is still in the mix later on today after many more have weighed in on this one.

Hmmmm . . . tings is getting veddy interesting.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 19th September 2007 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Kouros seems to get alot of hisses and booooos here.
    I like it from time to time though personally.

Thumbs down Re: Most Despised Frag of All Time on Basenotes?

Joop!
    --------------------------------------
    Joop! and is LYNX a fragrance?
    Last edited by RuRu; 19th September 2007 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

it's not individual fragrances, but rather these lame, repetitive threads that i despise.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    it's not individual fragrances, but rather these lame, repetitive threads that i despise.
    Agree.

My observation is that Joop is respected for being revolutionary and unique by many here. I guess there are two kinds of despised frags here: the ones that are unique in some way and are worth discussions, and the bland ones, that are so generic that nobody is interested in discussing them and so they barely get mentioned here.
    Joop is certainly belongs to the first category, as do AdG, Le Male, and a number of others.
    And there are frags from Boss, Kenneth Cole, Liz Claibourne, Tommy Hilfiger, and there is nothing to discuss in this category.

Acqua di Gio is the most-hated fragrance on here, especially among American Basenoters. True, it is a well-crafted and revolutionary scent, but it's so damn popular here that it's gotten to the point of major annoyance. The fact that it was copied a million times doesn't help, either. The same goes for Le Male among European Basenoters (though Le Male is quite popular in America, it's nowhere near as popular here as it is in many European Union countries).

Joop! is respected here for being unique, even though most Basenoters (myself included) hate its smell.

And it's true that Claiborne, Kenneth Cole, and (especially) Hugo Boss fragrances are almost universally hated here (with a few exceptions). Oh, and so are Axe body sprays (along with its even worse competitor Tag).
    Last edited by MFfan310; 19th September 2007 at 04:28 PM.
    Top 5 for Winter:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Back to Black - By Kilian
    3) Musk Oud - By Kilian
    4) Encre Noire - Lalique
    5)
    M7 (vintage or Oud Absolu) - YSL
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Hai Karate. Just check out the reviews!

Pluran, MPerez: my apologies for having started a thread that has, apparently, already been posted, hashed and re-hashed. I tried using the search engine for past threads like this one, but the search engine (for me) still isn't working. Again, my bad. If the moderator wants to delete this (unconsciously posted) redundant thread, that's totally cool by me.

Btw, Eau Sauvage, to answer your question: I chose my screen name (i.e., tvlampboy@aol.com) about 9 years ago because I was avidly collecting kitschy Fab Fifties television lamps at the time. The moniker just stuck, I guess -- long after I had sold and/or traded off my hilariously tacky collection of Eisenhower Era TV lamps.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 19th September 2007 at 05:41 PM.

Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Blog Entries

I definitely agree with Joop. One time I wore Lolita Lempicka au masculin to karaoke & I met a friend of a friend who kept saying what I was wearing smelled amazing..."like Joop." Since then I've decreased the number of sprays I use, lol. Anyways, a few weeks ago I was @ Macy's & there was a tester of Joop out. I decided to spray a lil of it on the back of my hand to see if I could get the Joop/Lolita Lempicka similarity (it had been quite awhile since I had willingly tested Joop). Good God, I used like, half a spray & the stench stuck around for the rest of the day, even after numerous hand-washings!!! That stuff is lethal, I swear!
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

I've got to agree with everyone else's observations here. Looks to me like this thread shows we all really know the place.

Joop! and AdG get the least love.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I think that Aqua di Gio is probably the most hated fragrance here... perhaps not what I hate the most, but what is universally disliked by many Basenoters.
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

White Diamonds?
    Sunflowers?

i dont know about the most hated frag around here but i have a personal hate for cool water.
    its generic and common, but unlike aqua di gio, ck one or l'eau d'issey it doesnt even smell pleasant... it agressivly stinks!

Most despised? Or Worst? Since the question posed was"most despised", I'm not surprised with the consensus. But my vote for worst fragrance is, and probably always will be, Dyptique l'Autre. But then, I haven't yet tried SM or its genital counterpart, Vulva.

p.s. Don't even think about Kouros.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Joop! and AdG may deserve the bashing they get but, for me, L'Eau Bleue D'Issey pour Homme wins hands down.

I have learned to appreciate the small number of scents that I find unwearable; therefore, I cannot name any scents I truly despise. Besides, hate is just another form of negative thinking I can do without.

"Like an unchecked cancer, hate corrodes the personality and eats away its vital unity. Hate destroys a man's sense of values and his objectivity. It causes him to describe the beautiful as ugly and the ugly as beautiful, and to confuse the true with the false, and the false with the true. "--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Thrax

JICKY!!!!

I would rather superglue my johnson to the Tokyo bullet train then smell like this stuff!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Thrax View Post
    JICKY!!!!

I would rather superglue my johnson to the Tokyo bullet train then smell like this stuff!!!
    LOL!

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Thrax View Post
    JICKY!!!!

That's a way to beat the fare I hadn't thought of.

I despise the Boss. Hugo Boss

POOP! Um, I mean Joop!
    You are not your perfume.

Writes Thrax: "I would rather superglue my johnson to the Tokyo bullet train then smell like this stuff!!!"

This sounds like some weird Japanese fetish, Thrax -- there are probably businessmen in the Ginza district who'd pay for the privilege.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 20th September 2007 at 12:06 AM.

Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Just an opinion,I know that it is well reated,but for me Caron's L'Anarchiste. I have twice tried it and both times it made me feel unwell. A strange feeling:unclean and unpleasant. Just a personal view as I can see the attraction as it is unique and challenging. Not for me.

Piss (Kouros) & Petrol (Fahrenheit), not necessarily in that order.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Quote Originally Posted by fredricktoo View Post
    I despise the Boss. Hugo Boss
    I am with you on this one!! This is my most hated!

Aqua de Gio is hated for what it has come represent: a kind of bland unadventurous conformity. I reallly can't imagine that most people would actively hate the actual smell so much out of context and if it weren't all over the place. Fragrances like Kouros or Yatagan are both loved and hated and I think are kind of respected for at least being uncompromising in some way. Joop is just so sweet and goopy, tough to take for more than a few seconds, that I think most basenoters just plain hate it. This, in spite of the fact that it really is pretty uncompromising stuff.

Joop! definitely has its detractors. Kouros is a love-it-or-hate-it scent, with many
    noticing the urinal cake note.

Those around long enough to remember DJ Badger Kelly will remember his loathing
    of Iceberg Fluid Man.

Unforgiveable has had many many detractors, not because it's a bad scent [it isn't],
    but because it is a blatant rip off of Creed's Millesime Imperial.

Though many like it, I must say that The Dreamer ranks right down there for me.
    Last edited by trumpet_guy; 20th September 2007 at 07:21 AM.