Code of Conduct

Default Where to perfumeshop in Manhattan?

A friend of mine is going to Manhattan, and she asked me if there were any shops inparticular she had to visit, perfumewise. As I have no idea, I am asking my "all-knowing" perfume friends here. Any recommendations?
    Last edited by lille_my; 18th September 2007 at 05:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Where to perfumeshop in Manhattan?

You might find this thread helpful:
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=177429
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka View Post
    You might find this thread helpful:
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=177429
    thx Tigs . embarrasing at it might be tough, I have no idea which of these shops are situated on Manhattan, as I have never been there . Í will paste and copy it to her, she will probably have done her homework

I've frequently made a weekend out of perfume browsing. You might want to start uptown and make your way down. Here are my stops, uptown to downtown.

Take the N to 59th & Lexington for the following -

Barneys - 660 Madison Ave. Lots of Lutens, L'Artisan, Le Labo, and CdG, and as far as I know it's the only place in NYC for Malle.

Caron - one block up from Barneys on Madison. An SA at Henri Bendel told me it was closed, but you may want to check for yourself.

There is a Bond boutique across the street from Caron, but you may want to save yourself for the flagship store.

Henri Bendel - 712 5th Avenue. Etat Libre d'Orange, more L'Artisan, and Caron, including a few that you might not expect. I found my Tabac Blond extrait here.

Takashimaya - 693 5th Avenue. Keiko Mecheri, Miller Harris, and a few other fun things.

Chanel - 15 East 57th St. Exclusifs, both new releases and classics like Cuir de Russie.

Take the N down to 28th for the following:

The fragrance district - lots of very very veerrrrry cheap (discounted) frags, lined up in a lot of small shops aloing Broadway, mostly between 28th and 34th. Mostly department store stuff. You may find a Caron or a Creed from time to time. A good place to be if you're in the mood to buy impulsively. You'll find things like a big bottle of Black Cashmere for $24 or a 3.4 oz bottle of Bellodgia for $30. Fun.

Jo Malone - 949 Broadway. You're encouraged to experiment and layer here, and the staff are very friendly.

Take an A, C, or E to West 4th Street for the following:

Aedes de Venustas - 9 Christopher Street. The best of all. Lutens, L'Artisan, Creed, Diptyque, and almost everything else you've ever wanted to know better.

Bond No. 9 - Fun to sniff around, and a very New York experience.

I know I've missed a few (there is a L'Artisan boutique or two floating around town, but I've never found one). But this can be done in a day, although your feet - and your wallet - will plead for mercy afterward.

Favorite Notes:
    Rose, Apricot, Violet, Leather, Iris, Blackberry, Saffron, Musk, Incense

They've already been mentioned, but just wanted to post my faves are Aedes (smaller boutique but filled with so many treasures, relaxing atmosphere, no pressure...just sniff and enjoy to your heart's content), Bergdorf Goodman and Saks Fifth Avenue which are bigger and also have amazing selection.

djuna you said it all bravo

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lille_my View Post
    thx Tigs . embarrasing at it might be tough, I have no idea which of these shops are situated on Manhattan, as I have never been there . Í will paste and copy it to her, she will probably have done her homework
    I've never been there, either! But if I were to go, I'd do searches for the addresses and then their locations on the map.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Thank you to everybody, very impressing