Code of Conduct

Default Birch dominant frags

It's beginning to cool off here in the northern latitudes and I am craving birch. So far I own and greatly appreciate CdG's Zagorsk, Creed's Cuir de Russie and Cartier's Déclaration. Does anyone have any recommendations? The directory didn't prove to be too useful for this particular note. Thanks to all.

Default Re: Birch dominant frags

If you can find it, ELSHA is a great, old fashioned Russian Leather scent that has lots of birch--very old school

Tauer - Lonestar Memories
    Le Labo - Patchouli 24 (or so I've read, see here for details)
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Try Essence of John Galliano room spray (on yourself of course). I heard recently that it's being discontinued because John is coming out with his own fragrance and wants to keep the confusion down.

Basenotes Institution

Great question. I was thinking a couple days ago, if Sequoia by Comme des Garcons has birch in it, because I could swear that it does...but the notes don't say this. Anyone else think Sequoia has birch notes in it?

Lonestar Memories is the only one I'm familiar with, but WHEW that stuff is intense. It's really the only scent I've ever smelled that I wound not even consider wearing out of the house, as much as I personally enjoy it. More of a dirty burning birch note here. If you're looking for a pure and refreshing take on the note, look elsewhere.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Don't know if this counts, but Nicole Farhi Homme contains birch leaf and snow bark. Hard to find, but truly different and addictive.

I love the smell of birch wood and would also agree that the John Galliano room spray has a lot of birch wood - well burning smokey birch wood. I really hope they don't discontinue this. I'm going to have to smell the rest of the fragrances listed in this post.

Quote Originally Posted by paintrman View Post
    Try Essence of John Galliano room spray (on yourself of course). I heard recently that it's being discontinued because John is coming out with his own fragrance and wants to keep the confusion down.
    What paintrman sais. I have the room spray and love to use it during the colder months.

Thanks for the input everyone. All the suggestions will be tested. The only one I am apprehensive about is the Le Labo Patchouli 24 because of the vanilla. Vanilla/tonka/benzoin notes are not my thang. That's why I haven't grown to appreciate any of the otherwise amazing Serge Lutens creations. Can anyone attest to the degree of the vanilla note in the Patchouli 24?

My favorite so far is Zagorsk by CdG. If you're piqued by this thread, try that one first. Truly transcendental.

I just found out that ELSHA is now available in the U.S. under the new name, "1776". And it's only $38 for 8 oz. There's no other info on the notes.
    http://www.elsha.com/

The Nicole Farhi sounds very interesting and different than the others mentioned. The flacon is fantastic. Here's a description:
    Nicole Farhi Homme is alluringly refined and chic; its fresh, zesty ingredients contrasting and yet perfectly balanced with rich aromatic accords of lime and armoise. Homme has notes of tea tree, lime, armoise, white pepper, birch leaf, snow bark, white musk and fresh patchouli.
    Occasion Perfect Anytime
    Scent Citrus (clean, tangy)

Has anyone tried, Panouge's Return Men?
    Last edited by Fiorello; 20th September 2007 at 08:47 PM.