Code of Conduct

Default serge lutens bell jar packaging

hi

lot of you might have bought bell jars from serge lutens in paris.. i just wanted to ask how they package the bell jar.. because i'm planning to ask my friend to buy me some and bring it overseas but only if it wouldn't be a hassle to her

- are the jars sealed well? meaning if she puts in in a luggage, wont' it leak even if it's lying down?
    - do they pack it well for overseas travelling (im worried especially now that most airlines disallow people carrying liquids in hand carries)?
    - are the glass jars thick enough to minimize damage somehow ?

thanks a bunch
    -cmk20

Thrax

Default Re: serge lutens bell jar packaging

The bell jars are sealed pretty tight. Or atleast mine was. The bottles arent all that thick to be honest with you so I wouldnt put it through to much abuse. They are packed with no padding inside of a thin cardboard box. So it is quite unarmored against the outside world. Have your friend be extra careful.

Are the jars sealed well? I bought a bell jar of Santal de Mysore a few months ago and the top wasn't that easy to remove, so yes.

If she puts in in a luggage, wont' it leak even if it's lying down? It's not advisable but it may be okay to do so (after all, what guarantee is there that those posted to customers always remain upright?).

Do they pack it well for overseas travelling (im worried especially now that most airlines disallow people carrying liquids in hand carries)? I travelled on Eurostar and so never had this problem. However, if nothing else, just ensure that the bell jar in wrapped in a towel or something similar.

Are the glass jars thick enough to minimize damage somehow? As Thrax mentioned, the packaging is nothing special so, regardless of travel method, wrap it up in something for added protection.

I got my jar through the post from France. The seller wrapped the box in bubble-wrap a few times only and stuffed in an envelope. I was really surprised that there was no harm to the bottle. When I opened the box, the top came off quite easily. Again, I was surprised as I smelled no leakage.

Go figure.
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

Basenotes Plus

I had the same experience when I bought one off Europe eBay. It was shipped in a padded envelope. I was amazed that it was not damaged.

Quote Originally Posted by stuigi View Post
    I had the same experience when I bought one off Europe eBay. It was shipped in a padded envelope. I was amazed that it was not damaged.
    Don't you just hate it when sellers do that?

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Don't you just hate it when sellers do that?
    I try to ship EVERYTHING in a box. The padded envelope is just so flimsy and offers almost no protection!

thanks folks

I received a bottle of iris silver mist off them yesterday and they have changed the way they send their stuff from paris, it now comes in a black box with the paper bag containing the sealed box of perfume and any items they give you with sandwiched quite tightly between two layers of foam much better.
    Last edited by fenton_t_fox; 25th September 2007 at 08:23 AM.