Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Question Most versatile scents?

Which scents do you find most versatile?

With versatile I mean scents that you find suitable for any occasion and feel comfortable in all day, all night, at home, work, parties...

My list would include at least these (might be adding some later)
    Bulgari Black
    Dzing!
    Jicky
    Yohji
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Default Re: Most versatile scents?

Wow, I'm impressed you find Jicky that versatile. I wish I did. Mostly wear it around the house before bed time.

My list would be:
    Bvlgari - Black
    Divine - l'Homme de Cœur
    l'Artisan - l'Eau de l'Artisan
    Comme des Garçons - Odeur 53
    Guerlain - Aqua Allegoria: Herba Fresca
    Last edited by shifts; 23rd September 2007 at 11:02 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shifts View Post
    Wow, I'm impressed you find Jicky that versatile. I wish I did. Mostly wear it around the house before bed time.

After reading innumerable posts agonizing about Jicky's dirty notes during past years I have always count my blessings: on me it doesn't stink.

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka View Post

After reading innumerable posts agonizing about Jicky's dirty notes during past years I have always count my blessings: on me it doesn't stink.
    Well, I guess I call it a stinker even though it doesn't really stink on me. But I get very self concious while wearing it, so putting it on and then go to work is a big no no. I've used it among friends without feeling too mental so maybe there is hope for me as well!

Is this the EdT or PdT? I have the latter and really want a bottle of the EdT.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Terre d'Hermes by Hermes
    Rose 31 by Le Labo
    Rive Gauche Pour Homme by YSL
    Lavender Water by Caldey Island

To name a few...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shifts View Post
    Is this the EdT or PdT? I have the latter and really want a bottle of the EdT.
    I have both: I prefer PdT but because it's not made anymore (now it's EdP and since so many Guerlains have been reformulated it probably won't be the same), I wear EdT more, or layer the two.

Chanel No 19, Stella and Stella Rose Absolute are my "safe cards", they are always right.
    Last edited by Margareta; 22nd September 2007 at 11:59 AM.
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L´Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

Post Thanks / Like

These things keep changing for me...so guess I don't really have any.But Jicky edt,Narciso Rodriguez edt,Omnia and Gaultier 2 comes to mind.

Post Thanks / Like

Tabac Blond

There are other scents that I will wear all day (I'm not scared to wear an evening scent to work, for instance), but Tabac Blond is the one I feel makes the day to evening transition the best.

Post Thanks / Like

Good question!

I guess all around - year 'round - years 'round - the "classics" hold up best for me. Of what I own now the Gres' "Cabots" (Cabochard - Cabotine)... Joy always...of the Guerlains I now own LHB and Mitsouko and Habit Rouge - of those I once owned Ode and Shalimar. and of course Jicky (she behaves herself on me)

But living the casual beach life means that some friskier frags that might not transition well in The City do OK here - am thinking stuff like Miami Glow and Fantasy!!
    Last edited by TaoLady; 22nd September 2007 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Forgot Jicky!!!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

I'm not really sure, as i tend to go through many choices and never think of it as either versatile or not, unless i'm suddenly way off... like in a closed meeting wearing miss dior or something...or in winter wearing vetiver frozen...but in general i'd say that the fresh citrus scents are very versatile for me. That might go for the vetivers as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Domenico Caraceni Pour Homme
    Czech & Speake No.88
    Parfumerie Generale Querelle
    Aramis JHL
    Azzaro Pour Homme
    Caron Yatagan
    Editions Parfums Noir Epices
    Montale Black Aoud
    Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque
    Carlo Corinto Vetyver
    Patou Pour Homme Privé
    Guerlain Derby
    Dior Jules
    Chanel Antaeus
    Hermès Eau d'Hermès
    Hermès Poivre Samarcande
    Chanel Pour Monsieur
    Bulgari Pour Homme
    L'Artisan Timbuktu
    Mazzolari Mazzolari
    Last edited by pluran; 23rd September 2007 at 05:54 AM. Reason: ceres

Chanel no 19
    Habit Rouge
    Czech and Speake 88
    Patou Pour Homme Prive
    Parfum Sacre
    Jasmin Impeatrice Eugenie
    NR for Her, though this one is so "easy going" and unobtrusive that it loses my interest after a while - its too pliable, perhaps
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Post Thanks / Like

Top three versatile in my wardrobe right now:

NR for her EdT
    Stella EdP
    Baghari EdP
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'll disagree with Taolady--just to pick a fight -- this isn't a good question; this is a GREAT question.

Versatile, hmmm. If applied in teeny-tiny dots for the earlier portion of the day, Boucheron Femme could waltz through any hour or occasion. It radiates so beautifully. It's not peculiar in any way--doesn't smell like bakery or candy or smoke or melon or animal excretions--just a distinguished, mature, floral/oriental.
    Monarch butterflies require milkweed to prevent extinction

I like Jil Sander No. 4. As Quarry put it, it's not a fragrance that's peculiar in any way.

On me, Ivoire is a discreet, cool, non-emotional but sophisticated background fragrance. That type of game plan goes over well for most occasions.

Some skin fragrances:
    Costes
    Sculpture by Nikos
    Plain old Rosewater - it smells as good outdoor at a barbeque as it does in the morning or evening. I have to make my own with rose centifolia though because most of the commercial ones are made with rosa damascena, which usually has a dying rose smell on me, like rose swamp water.
    Kiehl's Musk is subtle and warm like skin. I can't imagine a place I wouldn't wear it.

I know there's lots more, I just can't think of them.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd have to say that many of my favorites are not versatile at all.They have very strong personalities and don't play well with others. But here's what I got going down my list.

Balenciaga Cristobal
    Chanel 31 Rue Cambon
    Different Company Jasmin de Nuit
    Diorella
    Guerlain Plus Que Jamais
    L'Occitane Feilles d'Oranger
    Narciso Rodriguez for her edt
    Ormonde Jayne Orris Noir
    Tocca Stella

Post Thanks / Like

Flathorn, beautyhabit.com has an Italian rosewater made from rose centafolia for $9 by Manetti Roberts. I'm not sure what kind of rose I prefer in rosewater, but this didn't suit me. I'll probably just pour it in bathwater and add some salts to use it up. It's nice, it's just not my favorite rose.

I haven't really found a fragrance lately that goes well day and night or anywhere I roam, I generally use citrus and roses, also like orange blossom notes. Those are good during the day, anyway. We live by the beach, too. If anything, I guess it would be Chanel Gardenia, but I don't wear jasmine too often.
    Last edited by beachroses; 23rd September 2007 at 02:15 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Many thanks for your replies!

What's versatile and what one feels great in no matter where and when, are highly personal: for one it can mean a bigger than life Oriental, for the other a gentle skin musk, for someone else something very avant garde and experimental.

Since my former working place was very hierarchical and male-dominated and was an open space without any privacy, it limited my choices a lot, but now I'm free to wear whatever I want whenever I want!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My most versatile frag would have to EL Pleasures. I can wear this year around or day or night. It always smells good on me whether I have exfoliated or not. Another one would have to be Lolita Lempicka. Lolita always smells good on me. I can always count on them in any situation. These are my frags that I know won't turn into something ugly no matter what. I can add TM Alien to this as well now.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka View Post
    ...but now I'm free to wear whatever I want whenever I want!

We're so happy for you!

Your SotD should be interesting to monitor
    Monarch butterflies require milkweed to prevent extinction

Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree about Jicky. I THINK it's not skanky on me - doesn't mean that's true though - and I wear it anywhere anytime in the summer and Vol de Nuit in the winter. I also find L'Heure Bleu easy to wear at the right time of year (right now it's doing it for me as the weather cools but the light is still warm). I think it might be a little too melancholy in the depths of winter though. I like L'Occitane's Neroli EDP (the rich, warm one) and think that will be joyful in the winter at any time of day, although perhaps applied with a light hand as it's powerful stuff. I'd also be perfectly happy to wear Iris Poudre or Bois des Iles any time of day - to me they're ladylike rather than overtly sexy.

But to be honest, I tend to just say 'stuff it' and wear whatever I fancy each morning, but I don't work in an office so have no concern about invading colleagues' scent space. And if I get a raised eyebrow in the supermarket checkout, yah boo sucks. (You can tell I'm an older gal. I've stopped caring what other people think.)
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Most versatile scents?

Looks like I'm a bit late...

But I'd like to reply, anyway.

Versatile from my collection:

-Bvlgari Eau The Vert or Extreme
    -Shalimar Light
    -Kenzo Flower
    -Mitsouko
    -Valentino V
    -Aqua Allegoria Mentafollia

Versatile others:

-Chanel No. 5
    -Creed Silver Mountain Water
    -Romeo Gigli for Women
    -Helmut Lang for Women
    -Eau de Cartier
    -Bvlgari Eau The Blanc
    -L'Artisan Eau de Artisan
    And he whose soul is flat -- the sky
    Will cave in on him by and by.

—from "Renascence" by Edna St. Vincent Millay

I've been thinking about this & it's hard! I have been at home for 2 years now with my daughter & I have forgotten what it's like in an office
    I do remember a few assy co-workers who would complain about colognes/perfumes simply for the sake of complaining. They were also the same asses who'd complain about the lighting, the temperature in the building, the food in the cafeteria, etc.

Back then I wore Light Blue as a staple and sometimes a light spray of Hanae Mori or Noa Cacheral just to mix things up . Those scents crossed the lines easily between work/play/evening.

Post Thanks / Like

I find I can wear Cristobal, Roma, Rive Gauche and Mauboussin in most situations.

Off-Scenter

Dia
    Jaipur Homme EdT
    L'Homme Sage
    Eau d'Hermes
    Fou d'Absinthe
    Yerbamate
    Santal Noble
    Mandarine-Mandarin
    Basala
    Green Irish Tweed

Quote Originally Posted by Divatologist View Post
    My most versatile frag would have to EL Pleasures. I can wear this year around or day or night. It always smells good on me whether I have exfoliated or not. .
    I have to agree here, i haven't met a woman that didn't smell great while using Pleasures edt. So i guess it's very versatile that way.

Lolita L on the other hand... (on some people)

Quote Originally Posted by Wordbird View Post
    But to be honest, I tend to just say 'stuff it' and wear whatever I fancy each morning, but I don't work in an office so have no concern about invading colleagues' scent space. And if I get a raised eyebrow in the supermarket checkout, yah boo sucks. (You can tell I'm an older gal. I've stopped caring what other people think.)
    I could use more of that attitude.

I tend to wear fragrances very sparingly (1mL samples tend to last at least 7 wearings on me) so I haven't gotten any comments from my co-workers telling me I'm making their eyes water - or asking what I'm wearing. Since I work in health care - this seems to be a good practice.

The ones I reach for when I want to know I smell inoffensive (for whatever reason) - Hypnotic Poison, CSP Vanille Amande, Philosophy Falling in Love.

This appears to be a really boring list so I'm hoping this new scent hobby will expand my wardrobe of grab and go scents.

Quote Originally Posted by Wordbird View Post

I think the same way too... but something happened to me the other day. I was testing the Rochas Femme (as I was intrigued by all the reviews on POL). The SA sprayed it on paper for me. All of a sudden, I was sneezing and choking. I can feel my throat literally try to squeeze shut. I don't know what happened, but I had to leave the store as I could not breathe.

Never happened before with any other scents. Now I do believe in perfume allergies.
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

Post Thanks / Like

Chanel No 5 Elixir Sensuel
    FM L'Eau d'Hiver
    FM Iris Poudre
    Balmain Ivoire
    Chanel 31 Rue Cambon
    Tom Ford Private Blend Moss Breches