Code of Conduct

Default M7: Love to Hate You

Was in the process of updating my swap list this morning when I stopped and pondered about my M7: "Should I or shouldn't I get rid of it?"

Every time I don it (and that's about once a month, I'd guess), I roll my eyes and groan for the first thirty minutes as the medicinal shockwaves roll in. Then, after half an hour has passed, I start sniffing my arm with pleasure. Then the discomfort comes again, and I wonder why I keep this awful, wonderful, sickening, beguiling sh-t of a frag. All I can think of is the old Erasure classic, "Love to Hate You."

Anyone else feel this way about this YSL chimera?

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Default Re: M7: Love to Hate You

I really want to like M7 because it contains notes that I love, particularly the 'oud and vetiver. However, it just doesn't work on me. Cough syrup anyone?
    You are not your perfume.

When I first wore M7 I hated this stuff with a supreme, emphatic passion (along with Amen and Fahrenheit) One day I picked it up after a long absence and had a whiff, I thought hmmmm.....either I have multiple personalities or my 'nose' has changed cause I kinda like this now.

So I wear this now in the cooler months and it sucks in the compliments.

P.S. I still hate Amen and Fahrenheit.......

Fragrance On,

Otto
    Last edited by Otto; 22nd September 2007 at 03:04 PM.

Bought a bottle of M7 yesterday as a matter of fact. 30$ brand spanking new.
    I haven't owned M7 in 2 years and wanted this one again. I love the packaging, I love YSL, I love the smell, I love the bottle. Wheeeee.....

It doesn't matter what others think about it.

Hating is detrimental to health. Purging is good for it. Just throw the bottle against a brick wall and see how it feels.
    Last edited by pluran; 22nd September 2007 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Just throw the bottle against a brick wall and see how it feels.
    Better yet just throw it in a box and send it to me .
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    It doesn't matter what others think about it.

Hating is detrimental to health. Purging is good for it. Just throw the bottle against a brick wall and see how it feels.
    LOL - I jusy had a mental picture of Matt throwing his M7 against the wall...glass everywhere, the smell of M7 everywhere...

Matt you are not alone - my previous bottle of M7 holds the disctinction of being the very first bottle of fragrance I traded here on Basenotes. I couldn't wait to get rid of it (I think I traded it for Black XS by Paco Rabanne...).. But, of course (Murphy's Law) I received tons of compliments from a lot of people when I wore it. Which kinda pissed me off. A few months ago (in a trade) someone sent me a decant of M7 and I kind of had an inner chuckle...here we are again. I wore some the other day - same impression. I don't really like it (I think it's use of agarwood/oud/whateveryoucallit is what turns me off to it) and inevitably the night I wore it I received a compliment (!) So, I'm fine with my little decant that will last me a lifetime, because I'll probably only wear it once a year or so.

I just bought M7 yesterday blind. It was on sale and no tester, so I grabbed it without thinking much as I have read the reviews here several times and that the positive comments overshadow the negative.

All I can say is....I love it.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post

Erasure classic, "Love to Hate You."
    I love that song, it`s one of the best Erasure songs ever.

And just for the record, M7 is absolutely one of the best designer scents ever made. It is absolutely suffocating when over applied, but absolutely intoxicating when applied perfectly. (4-5 sprays)

I once used over 10 spritzes of this, and couldn`t use it for weeks or months. Seriously, with M7 application is more important than with any other fragrance I can imagine.

maybe is a stupid question but.....aren't 4-5 too much with M7?

Quote Originally Posted by Eau Sauvage View Post
    aren't 4-5 too much with M7?
    No. (speaking for myself, of course)

Quote Originally Posted by PigeonMurderer View Post
    I love that song, it`s one of the best Erasure songs ever.

And just for the record, M7 is absolutely one of the best designer scents ever made. It is absolutely suffocating when over applied, but absolutely intoxicating when applied perfectly. (4-5 sprays)

I once used over 10 spritzes of this, and couldn`t use it for weeks or months. Seriously, with M7 application is more important than with any other fragrance I can imagine.
    Applied perfectly?

Please explain. I just apply 2 sprays (one on both sides of my Adam's apple), and sometimes I feel that is way too much. After like 5 hours I can still somewhat smell M7 on me with just the 2 sprays.
    Last edited by Hombre_Secreto; 23rd September 2007 at 12:37 AM.

Lightbulb Re: M7: Love to Hate You

Nice at first but now I can't stand to wear it. Way too medicinal. I think I may have to give it to my nephew.
    I have read in Plato and Cicero sayings that are wise and very beautiful; but I have never read in either of them: Come unto me all ye that labor and are heavy laden.'' --Saint Augustine

“Hastiness and superficiality are the psychic diseases of the twentieth century, and more than anywhere else this disease is reflected in the press.”--Alexander Solzhenitsyn

I love it . . . . sometimes. 2 spritz's of M7 and let it develop and evolve. More than that and you lose the subtlety of the fragrance and it becomes easy to hate. It is definitely easy to change the greatness of the scent by over applying.

Yes...the beauty of this is lost if it is overapplied....more so if it is applied in heat...

Recently i sprayed it 5 times on my chest & abdomen area and twice on my shirt before going for a party the other evening. Sillage i think was fantastic... Next morning when i woke up i realized my throat was clogged and the sillage from the M7 was to be blamed as i had been inhaling it the whole night..

For me this is a wonderful offering from YSL and i can't seem to think of not having it in my wardrobe..I have 4*100ml bottles in my stock..

gupts

This one gave me headache... but the bottle was very classy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas V View Post
    I really want to like M7 because it contains notes that I love, particularly the 'oud and vetiver. However, it just doesn't work on me. Cough syrup anyone?
    The cherry cough syrup note is profound but bearable. When it becomes
    somewhat subdued it blends well with the agarwood drydown. Unusual, but
    worth having.

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post

Anyone else feel this way about this YSL chimera?

Yes, actually, I feel the exact same way. I couldn't have said it better myself. I actually did get rid of it, but now I use my sample one in awhile, and my feelings haven't really changed. Starts out bad, gets really good, then gets bad and stays that way.

I have the same attitude about most YSL "masterpeices".
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 23rd September 2007 at 10:25 AM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."