Code of Conduct

Smile short Black Oud first impressions

I couldn't wait spraying it on, when it arived this morning.
    Having a day off, a didn't hesitate to spray a huge squirt on my wrists. Sitting here, with a cup of coffee, I have to say,..well I dunno what to say yet really, cause this is interesting stuff. When I write this , I think the Rose notes are showing themselfs, and I like.
    I think this will do the 180 degr. on this house, cause I think I know now what put me off in Cuir d'Arabie.
    First let me say, I'm an Oud rookie. When I sprayed this on this morning, the first thing I recognized was the same , strong, clear, wood opning as in Cuir D'Arabie. A bit medicinal.
    I think the combination of the Oud and the leather in Cuir d'Arabie was too much for me to take . I thought I was just smelling a weird leather note ,but it was the combination of both leather and oud.
    But in Black Oud I can take it. At least , I think it's the oud, correct me if I'm wrong you oud veterans.
    Oud, it's a weird, but adicting smell I guess.After the oud note faints a bit, the rose and wood notes are apearing now. (I'm constantly sniffing my arm while I write this) Men, this is one interesting fragance.It's not really a complex made perfume, but that's ok. Oud, rose and woods is what I detect mostly, for now. I really look forward how this will evolve during the day and I'll sure be looking forward to wear this in colder months.

on a side note: they also put a 50ml Jasmin Full in my package. This Montale is a womens scent, right? ( maybe I can make wifey happy today)

cheers,
    eric
    Last edited by eric; 27th September 2007 at 09:45 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: short Black Oud first impressions

Finally someone has received their Montale's package.
    That gives us hope that ours will come too...sooner or later....

It seems they are adding free bottles to all packages....i wish they add 'ATTAR' 50ml as the Free bottle in my package.....

gupts

That is good news.It really made my day.I am glad you like Black Oud.
    I have ordered three packages; does that mean 3 free extras????
    Now I really look forward to receive my packages.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for posting the first downer here. I received my order as well, but not to the swiss address, but to my home address here in austria, that's why it took so long and guess what, hell yes, a lot of custom fees to pay to get the package handed. Contacted Montale and they told me to not take it on, but send it back and they will ship it once again to the swiss address.
    Last edited by dr.creed; 27th September 2007 at 12:07 PM.
    dr.creed's decant sales
    can be found here:
    Crystal Flacon

Sorry to hear dr. Creed.
    So weird, no added taxes here, at least I don't think so. have to check me creditcard bill later. I just paid what the website noted. Mine came from Switzerland.

Gupts, a free Attar, now that would have been cool!

It took them a week to deliver which is ok I guess. But the Netherlands is close to Switzerland , so , I dunno. I did have to be patient though, which I'm not, I admit.
    Australia, now , that's a long way to travel. I hope you'll get yours soon. I think they weren't expecting so much orders at once?

By the way, I'm bathing in Black Oud now,...man....I stink!!
    Last edited by eric; 27th September 2007 at 12:39 PM.

There's no leather in BA, Eric. It's THE agarwood in it that has that leather-like smell. The oud remains through out, btw.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Killer_Vavoom View Post
    There's no leather in BA, Eric. It's THE agarwood in it that has that leather-like smell. The oud remains through out, btw.
    seconded! It's hard to tell, but I believe that the oudh in Cuir d'Arabie is of a different nature, too.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by Killer_Vavoom View Post
    Thanks! Acually I was refering to the leather in Cuir D'Arabie which has both in it, but indeed, there's a leather note I get from the oud also. It changes from sharp medicinal wood, to a softer wood smell. I like it. Makes me curious about other ouds, I want more.

Also, on a side note, I'm amazed at how M7, which introduced a lot of (western) people to oud, I think(?) in a commercial fragrance, has that "oud note"right , in the beginning of the fragrance. Although I'm not sure if it's real oud or synthetically made.
    Last edited by eric; 27th September 2007 at 01:37 PM.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Eric, enjoy your new Black Oud. It is an amazing scent. I will never forget the first time I smelled it...

My initial experience with oud was (like many) M7. I knew that I didn't like M7, so I assumed it was because of the oud. Later on I kept my eye out for it, mostly to avoid scents that had oud in it. I remember reviewing the Tom Ford Private Blends and the one named Oud Wood I came to with extremely negative preconceived notions that I would not like, because of the oud. Actually Oud Wood smelled more like rubber (animalic) than oud to my nose. So...then there was Black Oud. Totally blew me away. I got a compliment from the first person I encountered the first time I wore it. It was dark, floral, wood - but all done right. Sillage - strong. I, like you, totally reconsidered my position on oud after encountering Black Oud.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Eric, enjoy your new Black Oud. It is an amazing scent. I will never forget the first time I smelled it...

My initial experience with oud was (like many) M7. I knew that I didn't like M7, so I assumed it was because of the oud. Later on I kept my eye out for it, mostly to avoid scents that had oud in it. I remember reviewing the Tom Ford Private Blends and the one named Oud Wood I came to with extremely negative preconceived notions that I would not like, because of the oud. Actually Oud Wood smelled more like rubber (animalic) than oud to my nose. So...then there was Black Oud. Totally blew me away. I got a compliment from the first person I encountered the first time I wore it. It was dark, floral, wood - but all done right. Sillage - strong. I, like you, totally reconsidered my position on oud after encountering Black Oud.
    Cool! A Black Oud buddy! It blew me away for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm curious to what occasions or what attire people wear black aoud with. It just seems to be somewhat of a more formal scent but at the same time it is fairly sharp. I enjoy the scent very much but only in brief loftings of it.

Post Thanks / Like

I just tried White Oud, and am enjoying it more--which is a lot to say since Black Oud is so good. White is creamier, softer, yet, more complex to my nose.

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by matreal View Post
    I'm curious to what occasions or what attire people wear black aoud with. It just seems to be somewhat of a more formal scent but at the same time it is fairly sharp. I enjoy the scent very much but only in brief loftings of it.
    It goes well with a suit and tie, but it's also great with black jeans and a leather jacket. Formal or feelin' mean, I guess!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    It goes well with a suit and tie, but it's also great with black jeans and a leather jacket. Formal or feelin' mean, I guess!
    That's kind of how I felt. Although I must admit that today was very hot and humid and boy did is shine. I've originally used it sparingly in hot weather but today was the perfect day for it.

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    Finally someone has received their Montale's package.
    That gives us hope that ours will come too...sooner or later....

It seems they are adding free bottles to all packages....i wish they add 'ATTAR' 50ml as the Free bottle in my package.....

gupts
    I seems so. I've made three orderes over the last week or so and each time my package came (about 3 days after ordering) I recieved generous free gifts. The first parcel had 2x Skin 50ml, the second (larger) order came with a free Soliel di Capri 100ml and Embruns d'Essaouira 100ml! I'm expecting my Black Aoud and Vetiver des Sables today, so looking forward to any surprises.

So I'd expect some kind of freebie. No taxes to pay here. Hate to say it but the service seems pretty good. Unless you send them an email of course, because they don't reply.

This sale is fantastic for those of use who couldn't normally afford to pay, or simply wouldn't pay, the normal obscene prices for these frags. But spare a thought for all of those who did pay full retail for their bottles before the sale started. I'd be fuming. These massive reductions and free bottles also do somewhat destroy the mystique and prestige surrounding the Montale name. I'm not complaining though.
    Last edited by calexs; 28th September 2007 at 08:36 AM.
    Current favourites: Silver Mountain Water - Terre d'Hermes - Erolfa - Fou d'Absinthe - Sequoia