Code of Conduct

Default Gris Clair: yay or nay?

Guys do you recommend this scent?

How long does the lavender stay with you? Is the lavender note quite persistent?

Is it linear or does it evolve?

Does it elicit many compliments?

Can it be classified as a sexy fragrance?

What is the best time to wear it?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Red_Rose; 22nd September 2007 at 04:56 PM.

Default Re: Gris Clair: yay or nay?

Gris Clair is a gorgeous fragrance, one of my favorite lavenders, creamy lavender wafting through mountain air, it is rather linear to my nose, but one does not mind that, the drydown is persistent, soothing, is it sexy? Sexy in a relaxing sort of way. When should you wear it? I like it as an evening frag for the aforementioned reason, but I think one should wear a frag whenever they feel like it.
    Can be worn by either gender, but once I smelled it on my man, I preferred it on him than on me, and for that reason don't wear it much these days.

So my vote is Yay
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

thanks rtamara41!

I recommend sampling it, you might love it. But I don't recommend buying it blind, you might hate it.

I think of Gris Clair this way: Lavender Fog. The lavender is prominent, although like many Sheldrake compositions the notes merge seamlessly, so you don't really get the lavender in isolation. The lavender note is very persistent, and the whole fragrance is very linear. GC has the thickness and the damp coolness of heavy fog, but it's not oppressive in spite of how that might sound.

I've just got a couple of (generously sized) tester vials, so I haven't worn it much. No compliments (or negative comments). I'd say it's potentially sexy, and best worn on evenings or cooler days. Not an office fragrance, at least if your office is conservative/traditional.
    Last edited by PaulSC; 22nd September 2007 at 05:16 PM.
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Thanks Paul.

Helpful comments.

Guys do you recommend this scent? A Big YES.

How long does the lavender stay with you? The entire duration.

Is the lavender note quite persistent? Yes.

Is it linear or does it evolve? Rather linear.

Does it elicit many compliments? Yes.

Can it be classified as a sexy fragrance? Not really, as it is clean.

What is the best time to wear it? I find it best for day as it keeps me alert.

Gris Clair, is full of contradictions: somewhat sharp and dry, but at the same time sweet; linear yet quite complex; medicinal, but soft. It is one of my favorite Lutens.

Basenotes Institution

Guys do you recommend this scent? Yes, but try before you buy...I love it but it gave me a splitting headache

How long does the lavender stay with you? All of the time

Is the lavender note quite persistent? Yes, and it's a slightly medicinal (or resinous) lavender note too

Is it linear or does it evolve? On me it does kind of transform into a very strong pine note, but I think this is my skin

Does it elicit many compliments? Only wore once...

Can it be classified as a sexy fragrance?
    Would not classify it as sexy - it reminded me of the olfactory impression of taking a shower in an outside mountain cabin.

What is the best time to wear it? Morning/afternoon/on weekends
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 22nd September 2007 at 05:32 PM.

Unhappy Re: Gris Clair: yay or nay?

I'll have to add yet another "yay" to this thread. I tried it at the Sephora at the Louvre when I was in Paris this summer along with a few other Lutens fragrances and this one was my favorite. It was also the only one they were out of, so I don't have it yet. Thus, the sad face.

Another yay here and in agreement with all the above views. Personally, Gris Clair works better in warmer weather. I tested it on several occasions during the winter but never got it. Then I gave it another chance during the summer and appreciated it a lot more. Definitely in the top ten of SL frags, for me.

Guys do you recommend this scent?: I say yay. It's one of my favourite Serge Lutens and the only one I own. It's the most masculine of his line.

How long does the lavender stay with you? Is the lavender note quite persistent?: Very persistent, but it will fade into the basenotes toward the end.

Is it linear or does it evolve?: It evolves slightly... it either gets less or more smokey and sweet depending on your skin type. On my it's more dry and smokey, but my sister wears it too, and on her it's much sweeter.

Does it elicit many compliments?: Yep, women tend to like this. I've had a few girls lean in and rest their head on my shoulder to smell it.

Can it be classified as a sexy fragrance?: I think so, on the right person. This is a really mysterious and almost dark smelling fragrance; it wouldn't work for certain occasions. If it works with your skin chemistry, it's almost hauntingly beautiful.

What is the best time to wear it? Anytime, if you have the personality and clothes to pull it off (don't wear sneakers with this scent), but I think evening is best. Lavender in general is very relaxing and soothing and the incense notes make it very introspective.

Keep this in mind though! Unless it's summer, wear Gris Clair under a nice sweater/jacket or scarf so it's warmed on your body. It needs some warmth to blossom. That takes the edge off of the incense notes. And it'll make your clothes smell awesome.
    Last edited by Maxwell; 22nd September 2007 at 08:55 PM.

Thanks for all your comments so far.

DeepSilence

Yay

Yay, I love it... from the descriptions i've read accross the forums i wasn't impressed, but I've tried it a few times and i fell in love at first smell. Quite unique.