Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 3x3 Sniff- LEATHER ROUND!

BACKROUND:

I sent out packages to Elf, Lady In Black & Abigail around the time the site shut down. The Italian customs took LIB's package so I had to re-send...unfortunately her Scent B is not the same as Elf & Abigail.

SCENT A - is the niche scent, long discontinued in this particular concentration.

SCENT(s) B - easily found on discount sites for under $20.

SCENT C - is the department store scent.

:wave: Happy sniffing!
    A.
    Last edited by tinker424; 23rd September 2007 at 02:26 PM.

Default Re: 3x3 Sniff- LEATHER ROUND!

Leather A is far and away my favorite. It reminds me of a hearth in Old Mexico- sitting by the fire in leather furniture, chili, spices, terracotta, bright colors. The first 15 minutes of this is just swooningly gorgeous. I pick up florals (maybe carnation but that doesn't quite fit), a little powder, a lot of spice like cloves and cinnamon, some resins, warm leather. I think a guy could wear this, too.
    Now the down side- it's utterly gone in 30 minutes!!
    --------------------------------------
    B is much sharper, smells like a men's shaving room, super clean, soapy, Old Spice aftershave. For some reason it reminds me of camping, probably because my father used to use something like this when we went backpacking many years ago! I want to take this scent on a camping trip. Smells kind of military and squeaky clean. Not feminine at all.
    Leather C has both spices and fruit, and some synthetic components I can't place. It's rather sweet. Clove and cinnamon again, but much sharper and more pungent than the warm, muted spices of A. Stronger florals, even rose perhaps. Some powder in the base. This one's for the ladies. The leather note is extremely light on me.
    Last edited by Elf; 23rd September 2007 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Tinks, thank you for making it a bit less hard for us

I received my samples recently, so I still have to experience them in depth. I just sniffed a couple of times from the vials...

I'll take my time and start with

Sample A
    Colour: very light, pale yellow
    Texture: absolutely no oily residues, in fact it dries so quickly I am led to think it is an EdT or an EdC.
    First impression: a vintage, very chic, and it smells familiar !

Testing it on the back of my hand. I'll try it again tomorrow morning on a scent-free wrist, cause I fell there's a difference in how scents smell on those two patches of skin
    If there are any fresh topnotes, they are completely lost to me. I smell something dry and green and some spice: galbanum, clary sage, cardamom? The spice segues into the heart, where it is married to maybe jasmine and rose, but ancient and papery smelling, as if they had been dehydrated. A smoked, dry, dark leather appears. The scent warms somewhat in the drydown and becomes more animalic, with a touch of powder (amber?). My general feeling is that of a moderately spicy, unsweet, dry, unisex (I agree, elf!) leather.
    Can't tell about the staying power yet....
    I see a determined, bossy woman in tweeds wearing this scent. But she also wears high heels and red lipstick
    Last edited by Lady_in_Black; 23rd September 2007 at 06:44 PM. Reason: typo
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

On A, a very dry jasmine, yes, that's it! I don't pick up the rose, but orris, maybe....

Yes, orris could be a possibility, elf! That would account also for the powdery notes. Do you smell the animalic side - is it castoreum, civet, a mix of the two or synthetics in your opinion?

Sample A is gone now, leaving not even her ghost behind
    From double application to nothing: much less than one hour.

Orris it is! Fantastic guess!!
    I'm shocked to read it is not lasting...on me it will last all day & into the next. As a matter of fact I was thinking maybe I should sell it because I find it too clinging
    It was intended to be splashed liberally since it is an EDC.

What type of leather does A employ, if any? I know, Elf said it reminds her of furniture leather, and Lady_in_Black smells something animalic. Dry? Boots or gloves?

Basenotes Institution

Well jeez! That was fast.

I have an Orris sample that I haven't worn yet...now reading the descriptions I think I might wear it tomorrow as my sotd.

Leather (castoreum), carnation are in the top notes

Amber & orris are also some listed notes.

I'm a blabber mouth, whenever you want to know what it is just let me know!

summer means fireflys

So, do we send guesses by PM to Tinks? I didn't play in the other rounds ...
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Applied this morning on wrists, it showed a softer version of itself. However, it still remains rather edgy....
    Is it time to start guessing wildly? I'll go with Tabac Blond...I rummaged through my vintages in the fridge this morning because I wanted to compare with a bottle of TB in its French lotion incarnation. It is remarkably similar!

I wanna know, I wanna know! I don't have any leathers at all in my collection (incense gal here), so I haven't a clue!

The anticipation is killing me :bounce:

You guys haven't been guessing but half of 2 minutes!
    Surely the guessing goes on for longer than this Tink!
    Wolfie made us work our ***** of to guess the Greens!
    Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger. There is really nothing to be said about it. It is like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and that is all. W.SOMERSET MAUGHAM

LIB is the winner! It's Tabac Blond EDC

Congratulations to the winner and thanks to everyone playing along.

That's amazing, I'd decided it was NOT TB because I found a 15ml vial of vintage TB parfum in a little perfumery here, tried it, and they didn't seem at all related. Of course, the vintage vial has gone through at least 2 major heatwaves and it was old then. Ah, well, I may have to go back and try it again....

Basenotes Institution

Hey Tinker, you said in your hint that Scent A (which we now know is Tabac Blond) is discontinued in 'this concentration'. What concentration did everyone smell? EdT?

I have a vial of Tabac Blond (from Renee) and I was almost thinking about this being the Scent A, but then elf's description (Old Mexico, chili, spices) totally threw me. Isn't it funny how everyone's nose smells different. To me (like LadyInBlack) it smells like a badass woman in leather I love it.

Congrats Lady in Black!
    I'll do one of my wild stabs in the dark and guess "B" frag is English Leather by Dana. Why? Just because my ex used to wear it.
    Last edited by Sudsy; 24th September 2007 at 03:42 PM.
    Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger. There is really nothing to be said about it. It is like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and that is all. W.SOMERSET MAUGHAM

I second that guess, it was on my short list of possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    . What concentration did everyone smell? EdT?

I have a vial of Tabac Blond (from Renee) and I was almost thinking about this being the Scent A, but then elf's description (Old Mexico, chili, spices) totally threw me. Isn't it funny how everyone's nose smells different. To me (like LadyInBlack) it smells like a badass woman in leather I love it.
    It is the old Eau de Cologne in the large 5oz splash bottle that I bought from the ebay seller European Imports (before he was booted for selling decants of vintage scents).

Ooops, my spoiling the fun so early was completely unintentional...
    It was a matter of sheer luck and coincidence: Tinks' vial with Tabac Blond EdC and me having a small old bottle of "lotion"!
    Mike and Elf, I tried the present formulation of Tabac Blond and I can say that the EdC and lotion don't smell anywhere similar to it. They are both drier and lack the deeper, "butch-ier" tones of the TB concentrations everyone raves about.
    Very well selected, tinks!

I took a (bad) picture of my bottle, but at least it should be visible:

Since elf and I have a different sample "B", I will be describing mine as soon as elf's scent has been guessed!
    Last edited by Lady_in_Black; 24th September 2007 at 06:33 PM. Reason: resized image

B: soapy, clean, masculine, Old Spice smell alike, and there was a guess of Dana English Leather.

Please describe the leather note in this one, Elf: very noticeable or not? dry? when does it emerge: beginning or dry out? Need more impressions of B!

A dark, animalic leather leaps out immediately, it is the dominant note. But then that soapy clean note comes through within a few minutes, and the leather fades within about 15 minutes to the background. Then it's mostly soap with a little pungent spice in the. It's not complicated at all, completely masculine, and quite nice, actually, though it's not for my DH because it's such a "grandpa" scent to me.

Would you call B an oriental or a chypre?
    Any sweetness at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    B: soapy, clean, masculine, Old Spice smell alike, and there was a guess of Dana English Leather.
    Sounds a good description for what I recall to be SMN Marescialla.

Well, it's not like any chypres around currently, so I'd have to say with its slightly sweet, leather spice, it's an oriental. However, the opening is chyprish in a vintage Mitsouko way, but that impression is over in 30 seconds.

Post #86 of the Sticky thread revealed that either B "can be found for under $15". It leaves SMN out, I suppose?
    Just checked it in the Directory, and there are two other Guerlains suggested there in "Members who liked B, also like ....... Shalimar and Vol de Nuit".

So now we got an Oriental part! But with the Chypre feel! Any greens? Flowers?
    Last edited by Twolf; 25th September 2007 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Were our guesses wrong? Should we keep guessing what Elf's "B" frag is?

It's ROYAL SECRET by 5 Star

Tinks, dahlin', we are giving hints and clues, not names! All right, the identity of B1 is no longer a mystery, but we all have B2! How 'bout that?!

Sample B (2)

Colour: clear
    Texture: noticeable oily residue, stays for a while on skin – should be an EdP
    First impression: OMG – tinks mixed up the samples and sent me a vial of Cuir Beluga!

The fragrance hasn’t much of a development on my skin: what I smell from start to finish is a plush, voluptuous heliotrope-vanilla combination with vanilla intensifying as the scent dries down. Longevity is quite good - 4 hours or so.

However, there’s a herbal/spicy undercurrent right from the start that keeps Sample B from going into the girlie-girl or foody vanilla territory. Like in Cuir Beluga, I find myself longing for the leather, but getting none!
    If there’s one in there, it sure is soft and supple like the finest suede.
    CB wasn’t full bottle worthy for me at Guerlain’s prices, but Sample B is an excellent replacement! Gimme a big bottle, please!

I am at a complete loss of guesses here, since I do know only very few mass market perfumes sold in the US. Help!

What spices/herbs exactly?
    Any florals at all besides heliotrope? On my skin I get quite some!
    Any masculine feel?

What spices/herbs exactly?
    Any florals at all besides heliotrope? On my skin I get quite some!
    Any masculine feel?
    T, I can't really tell what herb/spice I smell . I am doing the wrist test and straining really hard to smell other notes amidst the vanillic fog....how can I describe it? In colours, this scent is a white and fluffy cloud with streaks of light green and lilac. Iris and violets, I'd say

On my skin, it's not coming out as masculine at all. Don't tell me it is....
    Tinks, seriously...is leather a predominant note? I must be coming up with a flu or be temporarily anosmic to leather
    Last edited by Lady_in_Black; 26th September 2007 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Lady_in_Black, you are giving all the right answers!

Not girly, not masculine.... Violets, iris.... You go girl!

This was a blind buy because with notes listed it seemed like the perfect leather scent You share the same confusion I had. I agree the leather is hard to detect but in the final drydown I can slightly smell it (I think!).

Also, I've checked a few sources for notes & there is no vanilla listed

Hmm, could it be the one that many awaited eagerly....but that disappointed a great deal when it finally arrived. Described as pretty and soft floral, but not any real leather in it...hmmm? I've no idea, just guessing...

I applied Sample B more liberally: bergamot in the opening, maybe another fruit - a berry? Ah, and musk peeked eventually out in the drydown. That constant green note is driving me nuts
    No Vanilla? Tonka bean, benzoin? I am exhausted! I need guessers!

Really have no idea, so I'll take a wild guess--is it maybe an Etienne Aigner?

Quote Originally Posted by kanutta View Post
    Hmm, could it be the one that many awaited eagerly....but that disappointed a great deal when it finally arrived. Described as pretty and soft floral, but not any real leather in it...hmmm? I've no idea, just guessing...
    I don't think so kanutta, if I'm correctly guessing the one you are thinking (because I'm thinking it as well), it's bloody expensive and not readily available in the US yet.

Mmmm, this is very interesting. All the leathers that I know of are not mass market scents.

Is it Habit Rouge? but wait this one does have vanilla listed.
    Is it Heritage? but wait, the juice is clear
    Last edited by dimples; 27th September 2007 at 03:21 AM.
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

Hermes Kelly Caleche would not be a likely guess -- remember under $15!

It is in the Directory and I still have to try it! According to the notes there are two types of pepper in it and olibanum and an unusual wood (becoming more and more usual, though!) in the drydown. And no, there is no pyramid....
    Last edited by Twolf; 27th September 2007 at 05:08 AM.

I think, then, that it's Rykiel Woman (Not for Men!). If that's it, I do like this--though I don't wear it much--and though it has leather in it, it's tamed to a degree that I don't really think of it as a "leather" perfume.
    Last edited by lilybp; 27th September 2007 at 11:08 AM.

Hermes Kelly Caleche would not be a likely guess -- remember under $15!

It is in the Directory and I still have to try it! According to the notes there are two types of pepper in it and olibanum and an unusual wood (becoming more and more usual, though!) in the drydown. And no, there is no pyramid....
    Twolf, if the unusual wood is oudh, then a google search is all it takes to know However, I am sure they cheated on the notes

Tinker is nowhere to be seen , or maybe upset with me with all the hints given, so I will tell ya'll that we got a winner! Lilybp got it -- Sonia Rykiel Not for Men (2003) was B2. Congratulations to the winner (seriously, is there anything in this perfume world she can't solve? ) and thanks for participating.

Saw this fragrance at our Marshall's a couple of times, a small bottle for 12.99 and a big bottle for 19.99, and they never had testers or already opened bottles. The mystery wood is agarwood which is becoming more widely used now, I believe.

On to C?

I tried C again yesterday. It is still my least favorite of the 3 (A being WOW!, B being very nice for the guys). I get a huge blast of what I can only describe as cherry cough syrup accord from C, and synthetic florals. Still can't really detect much leather. Powdery drydown. Not a clue what it could be!

Thanks, TWolf! Your hints are what did it. This is a really great thread! Wish I could be around more!

Tinker is nowhere to be seen , or maybe upset with me with all the hints given, so I will tell ya'll that we got a winner! Lilybp got it -- Sonia Rykiel Not for Men (2003) was B2. Congratulations to the winner (seriously, is there anything in this perfume world she can't solve? ) and thanks for participating.

Saw this fragrance at our Marshall's a couple of times, a small bottle for 12.99 and a big bottle for 19.99, and they never had testers or already opened bottles. The mystery wood is agarwood which is becoming more widely used now, I believe.

On to C?
    No, I'm not mad! Me & Lil' Miss are sick
    Yes lilybp was right!

Getting sniffles here too, where do they come from? Hope you both ladies feel better, Tinker!

Getting sniffles here too, where do they come from? Hope you both ladies feel better, Tinker!
    We went to check out a pre-school/daycare last week I think we caught some cooties. Sweet Georgia Brown, I feel like dying...

Sample C

Colour: light rosy
    Texture: this leaves an oily residue on skin also, so I believe it's and EdP
    First impression: ...been there, done that?!?

Another one of the three mysterious samples that awakes a familiar feeling. I can't say...have I sniffed it, is it reminiscent of some other fragrance...or do I OWN it ?

On my skin it starts like a powerhouse fruity-floriental (!): citrus fruit - might be orange - and peach, then a blast of florals featuring a mixed bouquet with orange blossom - or even osmanthus - and tuberose. The mid stage has a sugar pastille quality which is not exactly to my liking....it catches in the throat somehow .

The drydown is noticeably better with a hint of leather, amber and a spicy powdery sandalwood.
    The leather is that of a supple and polished handbag carried by a heavily scented woman wearing too much gold jewellery

I can't come up with a guess yet, but thinking hard...

L.I.B your description is spot on! I think it's nice enough to own a mini of, not the jumbo 3.4oz bottle that I have. I don't think I'd use it up in 5 lifetimes .

Are we talking 70's powerhouse, maybe something like Liz Taylor's Passion or Ciara?

Lurker here dazzled by your sleuthing abilities and sending positive vibes to the cold ladies. Bummer! (You're also making me crave leather.)
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_in_Black View Post
    The leather is that of a supple and polished handbag carried by a heavily scented woman wearing too much gold jewellery
    Oh my goodness! I could not have said it any better! :toppie:

Not for sissies, that's for certain!
    Last edited by Twolf; 29th September 2007 at 05:34 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by Kyra View Post
    Are we talking 70's powerhouse, maybe something like Liz Taylor's Passion or Ciara?
    Kyra, IMO it has an 80s powerhouse feeling, with a little kitch-iness added....

BTW, the final dry down is absolutely delightful: when the louder notes lift their pressure, do I smell a little incense note raising its voice?

Agree with both sniffers here! Depending on the weather, I also feel cough syrup in the beginning (cherry variety) and if I am lucky, sometimes incense, sometimes dark bitter chocolate, sometimes tobacco and sometimes animalic notes (dirty, sweaty, leather?) in the drydown. Very possible when the scent is so rich! Lady_in_Black is also right -- 1980's powerhouse of a fragrance, the age of liberty and reason -- with the longevity exceeding that of Opium and Poison!

Agree with both sniffers here! Depending on the weather, I also feel cough syrup in the beginning (cherry variety) and if I am lucky, sometimes incense, sometimes dark bitter chocolate, sometimes tobacco and sometimes animalic notes (dirty, sweaty, leather?) in the drydown. Very possible when the scent is so rich! Lady_in_Black is also right -- 1980's powerhouse of a fragrance, the age of liberty and reason -- with the longevity exceeding that of Opium and Poison!
    Oh God, I hope you guys figure this out soon because whatever it is I GOTTA HAVE IT!!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Ok gals, I can't describe it any further, elf is not chiming in - where are you, lovely? You sure mustn't like Sample C at all - and nobody's guessing, so I'll start.
    My guess would be Balenciaga's Rumba!

I'm not the one to guess leathers because I don't have any in my collection except for 2 samples, Kelly Caleche (lovely), and Daim Blond (meh...). It's a note that actually can make me feel a little ill, I guess that comes from being vegetarian for so many years?? ;-) But I did like the Caron! I can't guess this one at all. Synthetic cherry, synthetic florals, powder, touch of leather, didn't pick up the incense. I really liked the image conjured by this one, though! Too much gold, too-red nail polish!

No, not Rumba. C comes from a big French house, and everybody has heard of this particular fragrance, 100 per cent! Lady_in_Black and Taolady neither own it, nor tested it (well, Lady_in_Black has now!), while Kyra tested it and Tinker and Lilybp list it in their current wardrobes as well as many other Basenoters.

More hints: Liberty+Reason=Marianne (same person was the face for this fragrance!).

Not for sissies (this last device is often used in our "Guess This Fragrance by the Picture" thread).

Among the notes that have already been mentioned, I smell carnation, ylang-ylang and amber. Rich, opulent, enveloping floriental/oriental.