Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 3x3 Sniff- LEATHER ROUND!

Is it Coco?
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Twolf, thanks to your generous hints ..... Champs Elysées! With Sophie Marceau being the "face" (initially I didn't think of her but of Laetitia Casta, whom I prefer, BTW).

If this is it, no wonder I didn't neither test nor own it, since I've never been a Guerlain girl - with some exceptions
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Post Thanks / Like

Shades got it -- Coco (not for "c" "c" s) with wonderful Ines de la Fressange as a face.

Congratulations to the winner and thanks to everybody for playing with us!
    Last edited by Twolf; 29th September 2007 at 05:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well, the answer made sense. I have a half-dozen Guerlains but when I tried this one about a year ago, I couldn't stand it. It smells horrible on me, I don't know why, as it smelled very nice on the test strip! But then, Mitsouko and LHB work very well on me, whereas they don't on most, so go figure.
    Great game, everyone, thanks to all who made it so much fun!

*sulks*
    Would NEVER have thought of Coco...and Inès was a Marianne also? Should have checked the notes and the wardrobes also!

But YAY for Shades! Well done, girl!

We have come to the end of the leather round. I have enjoyed myself, I have a new lemming (am eyeing the Sonia Rykiel on eBay ) but, most of all, I am learning a new, more in-depth way to smell fragrances, trying to isolate and identify their notes.

Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank YOU guys!

Yes, she was! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In%C3%A8s_de_la_Fressange About the same time (1989-1990) she was representing Chanel Coco!

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you! The funny thing as, as much as I love leathers, I don't really get a leather note with Coco ... she spends all her time trying to choke me with one of her other notes I have tried several times to make Coco work for me, but she just won't!

Too funny about the too-red nail polish comment!
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Post Thanks / Like

....and I gotta tell you, even before I read... "No, not Rumba. C comes from a big French house, and everybody has heard of this particular fragrance, 100 per cent! Lady_in_Black and Taolady neither own it, nor tested it (well, Lady_in_Black has now!), while Kyra tested it and Tinker and Lilybp list it in their current wardrobes as well as many other Basenoters.

More hints: Liberty+Reason=Marianne (same person was the face for this fragrance!).

Not for sissies ....."
    ....I'd ordered Coco 'cause all y'all were carrying on so. Am now sitting by mailbox feverishly gnawing on nails.....which I intend to grow to great lengths and varnish the scarletest scarlet I can find!!

Good job, Shades!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Unfortunately there is not a single Chanel I can wear- there are some basic aldehydes in use with the house that turn ugly on me.

Oh, poor you, Elf! I really pitty you! Chanel is makeing quality perfumes in a remarkable way. They are very longlasting for example, so even if the perumes are more expensive to buy, one doas not have to put them on so often, so in the end, they are not expensive at all, as the bottles lasts longer.
    Last edited by Margareta; 30th September 2007 at 08:09 AM.
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L´Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I know, I sniff Chanels on test strips and go "WOW", then watch them turn all skanky on my skin, and not in a good way. Fortunately, most Guerlains and Carons work well. Ah, well, I suppose it's better for my bank account!

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Elf View Post
    Unfortunately there is not a single Chanel I can wear- there are some basic aldehydes in use with the house that turn ugly on me.
    Same for me Elf - you are not alone.

Leather A

I think this one smells like a refreshing, but very long, bike ride through a citrus grove. It's innocent, care free, and a bit dirty.

I smell a quick top note of citrus, followed by lavender and hot summer skin. To me it smells like a dirty leather, and not a suede.

I think it's....Jicky Edt?

Leather B

This is is a green color. At first it smelled very astringent, like witch hazel. Then it brightened up to incense. Now it smells like spicy flowers. Jasmine, maybe?

This one seems to be more of an “office” fragrance, and it's something I would wear with a suite. I think the leather is softer then in Leather A. After a bit it has settled to something powdery and sweet, almost vanillic.

I think it's.... not Jicky?

Hi, sorry I'm behind the times! I have not read the thread yet, and won't until I try scent C. I'm really curious, but I'll resist.

Post Thanks / Like

Wait a minute. Coco? Leather?
    Did I miss something?
    Coco for Men, right? Different perfume than Coco, which has no leather, right?

And finally....

Leather C

Very pale orange-yellow.

Initially I thought it smelled like Coty Vanilla Fields, but with a leather covered man wearing it.

And now cinnamon and tonka bean?

Certainly very warm, soft, teddy bear scent. I'd be happy wearing it, or having my husband wear it.

I can't tell if there are a lot of notes, or just very pleasant aldehydes.

Sandalwood? Narcissus?

I'm stumped.

Now to read through the thread to see how painfully off I was! It was fun sniffing though! Thank you!

How nice to see you, although late, fellow blind sniffer in this round! I am curious to see what you think after reading elf's guesses and mine. Know that I am still depressed for not having sniffed out Coco