Code of Conduct

Default Name one SL scent that you still haven't made up your mind about

At the moment I'm 50/50 about Cedre - I actually don't think it's as bad as many Basenoters make out. However, compared to all the SLs that I own, it fails to conjure up 'exotic' images and comes across as somewhat conventional for me. To make matters worse, I also know someone who can get a 30% discount on it for me.

Decisions, decisions...
    Last edited by Trebor; 23rd September 2007 at 02:42 PM.

Default Re: Name one SL scent that you still haven't made up your mind about

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    At the moment I'm 50/50 about Cedre - I actually don't think it's as bad as many Basenoters make out. However, compared to all the SLs that I own, it fails to conjure up 'exotic' images and comes across as somewhat conventional for me. To make matters worse, I also know someone who can get a 30% discount on it for me.

Decisions, decisions...

I haven't liked Cedre. I like cedre scents from the export line and also Feminite du bois.
    SL that I am thinking about, but I do not know whether I buy it - Rose de Nuit
    Last edited by DreamerII; 23rd September 2007 at 03:43 PM.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Interesting. Along with Vetiver Orientale, Cèdre is the only SL that I love unconditionally. The main one I haven't made my mind up about is Daim Blond. I really like the experience of wearing it, but I don't think the experience of "just getting a whiff" is very satisfactory. So it's not really made for a day at work, with all the brief encounters that entails.
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Off-Scenter

I'm rarely ambivalent about Serge Lutens fragrances. Either I like them (Ambre Sultan, Muscs Koublai Khan, Mandarine-Mandarin, Sa Majeste la Rose, Un Lys, Tubereuse Criminelle), I can't stand them (Arabie, Miel de Bois, Fumerie Turque), or they don't excite me (Chypre Rouge, Rousse, Datura Noir, Cedre, Un Bois Vanille, Chergui). The one I waffle the most on is Cuir Mauresque. Sometimes I think it's an outstanding leather, and sometiimes I think it's quite conventional for this line. I actually find Aoud Cuir d'Arabie, Parfum d'Habit, and even Knize Ten to be more edgy and exciting leather scents.

Pardon me now as I duck behind the furniture...

Chergui is the one that Im most on the fence about. The others I either love or hate - but Chergui - well, I suppose because it has such a following that I keep wanting to love it. But at the end of the day, I truly feel its just not my kind of scent. But I don't dislike it.

I have my loves - Iris Silver Mist, Mandarine Mandarin, Chene, Tubereuse Criminelle, Ambre Sultan, Rousse, Encens et Lavande - and those are definitely enough to keep me pleased and occupied and so I dont worry about trying to love them all anymore.
    "To be irreplaceable, one must always be different!" - Coco Chanel

visit: WWW.SNIFFAPALOOZAMAGAZINE.COM

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    I'm rarely ambivalent about Serge Lutens fragrances. Either I like them (Ambre Sultan, Muscs Koublai Khan, Mandarine-Mandarin, Sa Majeste la Rose, Un Lys, Tubereuse Criminelle), I can't stand them (Arabie, Miel de Bois, Fumerie Turque), or they don't excite me (Chypre Rouge, Rousse, Datura Noir, Cedre, Un Bois Vanille, Chergui). The one I waffle the most on is Cuir Mauresque. Sometimes I think it's an outstanding leather, and sometiimes I think it's quite conventional for this line. I actually find Aoud Cuir d'Arabie, Parfum d'Habit, and even Knize Ten to be more edgy and exciting leather scents.

Pardon me now as I duck behind the furniture...
    I'm with you, actually, although I can't even say that there are any that I really "like." I'd say that there are about 12 of them that I haven't made up my mind about.

I agree with your assessments above and would add that two additional ones were amongst the biggest initial turn-offs I've ever had (Santal Blanc and Rakhat Loukhoum ((sp?))). As I've said to others, even though I see why many love SL fragrances, they aren't the sort of luxury that works well with me. They aren't luxurious like a nice cashmere sweater is luxurious... they're luxurious like a man wearing a full length sable or mink fur coat with matching hat. In other words, a little TOO much at times.

In any case, I'm most on the fence about Cedre. I only get cedar at the very end and it stays very sweet for me throughout in a not particularly versatile sort of way. Some days I can take it, some days I really just don't like it, but there's a part of me that still appreciates it in some odd way.
    Last edited by rach2jlc; 23rd September 2007 at 07:36 PM.
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

I'm still struggling with Daim Blond also. It's a wonderfully smooth fragance, but I just can't find enough suede in it. I feel like a walking apricot, which is not the image I wish to project. Haven't given up yet. Recently I sort of enjoyed FT for the first time, one that's never clicked with me before. Somehow the smokiness and the vanilla came together instead of irritating me. Perhaps I'll come to fully embrace it in winter.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    I'm still struggling with Daim Blond also. It's a wonderfully smooth fragance, but I just can't find enough suede in it. I feel like a walking apricot, which is not the image I wish to project. Haven't given up yet. Recently I sort of enjoyed FT for the first time, one that's never clicked with me before. Somehow the smokiness and the vanilla came together instead of irritating me. Perhaps I'll come to fully embrace it in winter.
    Unlike the_good_life, I have made up my mind about Daim Blond. No, it doesn't work for me and there are far too many other good leathers in the market to keep giving this one a chance on the faint hope that after 1.5 years of trying, it might "click". Eitherways with Cuir Mauresque in the lineup, Daim Blond is relegated to the "B" team in my book.

I am currently most ambivalent about Chergui. I used to love its smoky-sweet-hay accord, but lately I discovered that it disappears within an hour to be replaced by a predominant honey-musk-amber phase...but on some days it doesnt....
    -

Chypre Rouge -- I can't decide if I hate it or utterly despise it.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    The one I waffle the most on is Cuir Mauresque. Sometimes I think it's an outstanding leather, and sometiimes I think it's quite conventional for this line. I actually find Aoud Cuir d'Arabie, Parfum d'Habit, and even Knize Ten to be more edgy and exciting leather scents.
    I agree. Sometimes I think it's great and sometimes I think it's a definite second to Tabac Blond

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Unlike the_good_life, I have made up my mind about Daim Blond. No, it doesn't work for me and there are far too many other good leathers in the market to keep giving this one a chance on the faint hope that after 1.5 years of trying, it might "click". Eitherways with Cuir Mauresque in the lineup, Daim Blond is relegated to the "B" team in my book...
    Daim Blond is firmly ensconced on my "meh" list of Sheldrake-Lutens fragrances. It's too sweet and fruity for me to wear, and I prefer my leather far more edgy and aggresive. It's not so much that I don't like it as I just don't care.