Code of Conduct

Default Winter and classroom scent?

Cold weather is coming up soon, and I'm about to go shopping =D. I was wondering if you guys could recommend me something suitable for cold weather, yet subtle enough throughout the day for me to wear in class. This is a scent I want to wear casually throughout the day when I go to classes, and at the same time I want to be able to wear it to parties and clubs. I'm hoping for a relatively "safe" smelling scent, something the general college population would like, yet I don't want to smell like every other college guy out there. So far I've only been recommended Burberry Brit. Any feedback would be much appreciated, thanks.
    Last edited by schoolglue; 23rd September 2007 at 10:52 PM.

Default Re: Winter and classroom scent?

john varvatos is great
    corduroy by zihr is nice
    santana is pretty good
    polo double black is pretty safe
    lacoste pour homme is pretty safe too

hope this helps

Basenotes Institution

Gucci Pour Homme by Gucci - make sure you get the original one, not Gucci Pour Homme II.

Thanks for the suggestions, how do you guys feel about burberry brit? I haven't been able to find any in my area to sample.

i personally love britt. I also suggest rochas man and gucci envy. bvlgari black is also a good one to have as well. Definitely get D&G PH too
    Last edited by Spiritussancti; 24th September 2007 at 01:59 AM.

Brit is perfect.!

D&G PH is a winner too. Despite the citrus, I find it works best for me in colder weather. It may be a little on the sexy side for class, but I wear it to school.

I also love Trumper's Sandalwood for winter. Lots of people say Egoiste is a close relative and might be easier to find. Again, its a little sexy, but a light trigger finger and a warm sweater make it magic.

At this point I'm going back and forth between Brit and John Varvatos. I'm in college right now and my car is back at home, so it is a bit hard for me to try these scents out before I buy em. Which would you guys pick and why?

I would also try Burberry London along with your Brit - just my opinion.

Gucci Pour Homme (2003) [not altogether safe, but definitely special]
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26121989.html

Gucci Envy

Allure Homme -- lightly applied

New York by Parfums de Nicolai

Arpege Pour Homme by Lanvin

Tam Dao by Dyptique
    Last edited by trumpet_guy; 24th September 2007 at 07:08 AM.

-Nemo by Cacharel
    -Antidote
    -Brit
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

I would not hesitate wearing a light application (maybe by 'misting' the scent) of A*Men/Angel Men (Thierry Mugler) to class. Light: One spray to the 'belly' and one on the back of the neck. On clubbing occasions just be braver with the application!

What they've been trying to say is that you should go with Christian Dior - Dior Homme and nothing else.
    Last edited by shifts; 24th September 2007 at 11:52 AM.

Talking Re: Winter and classroom scent?

Shifts is a great guy but he has some problems expressing his inner feelings. What he actually is trying to tell you is, that while Dior Homme is an excellent fragrance, and possibly the best readily available for your purpose, you should search yourself a sample of Divine's L'Homme de Coeur, and after that full bottle, obviously. Great for classroom, and very likeable, without being general at all! If one has a signature scent, my experience is that it better be non-sweet and relatively quiet and versatile. A*Mens and Le Males of the world make you sick in the long run. You can get free samples of all Divine's fantastic scents by sending them a e-mail. Their homepage is at www.divine.fr. It doesn't hurt, that by doing this you also get a sample of L'Homme Sage, a scent that is generally considered more of a winter fragrance than L'Homme de Coeur. It's equally marvellous.
    Last edited by Johnny_Ludlow; 24th September 2007 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Ludlow View Post
    Shifts is a great guy but he has some problems expressing his inner feelings. What he actually is trying to tell you is, that while Dior Homme is an excellent fragrance, and possibly the best readily available for your purpose, you should search yourself a sample of Divine's L'Homme de Coeur, and after that full bottle, obviously. Great for classroom, and very likeable, without being general at all! If one has a signature scent, my experience is that it better be non-sweet and relatively quiet and versatile. A*Mens and Le Males of the world make you sick in the long run. You can get free samples of all Divine's fantastic scents by sending them a e-mail. Their homepage is at www.divine.fr. It doesn't hurt, that by doing this you also get a sample of L'Homme Sage, a scent that is generally considered more of a winter fragrance than L'Homme de Coeur. It's equally marvellous.
    Actually, listen to Johnny. He said what I meant to say. l'Homme de Cœur! Divine! And yes, it is more versatile than Dior Homme. What he says about the sweet fragrances also hold true inmo. Good job reading my mind there
    Last edited by shifts; 24th September 2007 at 01:08 PM.

What about Lagerfeld Photo ?

Not only for winter and 125 ml are here in germany sometimes for 20,- €
    "Wow, I've never smelled anything like that before."

Off-Scenter

For heaven's sake, stay away from sweet sillage bombs like A*Men, but do consider Jaipur Homme. It's great in winter and it's very sophisticated. I wore it in grad school and it was very distinguished, yet inoffensive in that context. In fact I still wear it now, more than 15 years later. (Oops! I just dated myself. ) And while it's hardly relevant, it's also the fragrance that's gotten me the most compliments from women.
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 24th September 2007 at 06:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by schoolglue View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions, how do you guys feel about burberry brit? I haven't been able to find any in my area to sample.
    It smells like pure powder to me and I don't like it very much. I also don't think Gucci pour Homme and John Varvatos are wintery as much as they are autumny.

For cold weather I think of scents like Chergui by Serge Lutens, Dior Homme, Mechant Loup by L'Artisan, Opium by YSL, etc. Heavy orientals are the best for really cold, bitter weather because they seem warm and bite that fridged feeling. Woody scents work but are not as homey to me. Just my opinion