Code of Conduct

Default I just bought M7 blind

Well I decided to take the plunge and order a bottle of M7. To be honest I feel it will be love or hate at first sniff with no in between. I usually do not like the medicinal vibe in a fragrance, but this is a classic. I was thinking about noir epices or Rose 31, but did not want to spend that much on buying either one blind and hating them. I can live with myself if I do not like M7. Now to find some samples of the other 2 on my list.

Default Re: I just bought M7 blind

Congratulations. You may need some time to figure out if you like it, though. I didn't upon first trying it, but the second time got me hooked. I then went through a large bottle in a matter of a couple of months. Looking forward to using it again in the cold weather.
    For swap/sale: NIB: Pure Malt, Floris Vetiver, Vintage Tiffany, Charriol Royal Leather, Dior Homme; Dior Homme Intense, Chanel PMC, M7 gel, Roma (women's), Spicebomb, Trussardi Uomo, Obsession, others...
    http://tiny.cc/rd8ptw
    (swaps)
    http://tinyurl.com/a7qoley
    (sales)

Smile Re: I just bought M7 blind

Good move mate! M7 is easily one of the best designer fragrances of this millennium, if not of all times. Actually, I don't think it's a love or hate fragrance at first sniff. I did not enjoy it at first, but it won me over big time. If you don't like it, try again. Since I'm not that crazy about aesthetical nihilism or relativism, I'm going to tell you that beauty is a property of this fragrance. It's an aesthetic judgement, which means in kantian way, that it's an universal statement, not a mere opinion based on my own preferences.

To make my point clear, I would like to compare this to for example me enjoying, say, Centaure. It has something to with my personality, emotions and history. I would not make an aesthetic judgement, that Centaure is a beautiful fragrance. It would be a judgement of agreeableness. Just like a picture of my childhood home might not be beautiful, it might be that for me for personal reasons. I know most of you might not agree with Kant's aesthetics in this (post?) postmodern time, but why not give this dichotomy a thought? I would love to bring words like sublime and beautiful back to use, by something more than just to describe own emotions. Something - if not objective - atleast intersubjective.

Anyhow, enjoy this great scent!

Thanks guys. I can't wait for it to arrive. I will make sure I give it time before I make a final judgement. At first I did not like Dior Homme and could not stand GIT, now they are two of my favorites that I wouldn't want to live without.

I do admire M7 and actually think about buying it.
    But don't you guys by a chance find it groomy while wearing?

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by deeablow View Post
    I do admire M7 and actually think about buying it.
    But don't you guys by a chance find it groomy while wearing?
    Groomy? Please explain.

M7...I miss my bottle and I wish I still had it.

The trouble is, I live in such a warm climate. I love the weather, but M7 would be wearable for only November through March.

I need a mini-spray. I always got compliments.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Groomy? Please explain.
    mmm... wrong wording probably

opposite to cheerful

oh! gloomy it is
    Last edited by deeablow; 24th September 2007 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raist679 View Post
    Well I decided to take the plunge and order a bottle of M7. To be honest I feel it will be love or hate at first sniff with no in between.
    Just make sure you don't overspray. M7 can easily overwhelm you and then you won't like it that much. One or two shots to the chest and maybe one to the neck...that's all it takes to experience the magic that is M7.
    Last edited by knightowl; 24th September 2007 at 06:14 PM.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

great purchase

i didnt care much about this perfume at first.. i was having a hard time detecting the smell!! but when i revisited it, i thought it was awesome and purchased it.. although i still remember that initial experience with it and realized it was a fragrance that stays very close to the skin.. and i tend to overspray (although i dont mind)..

im not very good at describing the notes so maybe just describe my imaginings.. the perfume for me although is very woody and incense-y is also at the same time subtly crisp.. similar to waking up in deep woods or forest cabin on a cold early morning, wrapped in furry furry blanket, with remains of campfire smoke and mist still around

one of my favorites now ..
    Last edited by lilyboy; 25th September 2007 at 12:10 AM.

Great fragrance, but the top notes can be a bit harsh to some people. The drydown is divine...

I just ordered a sample of M7, along with Dior Homme and Guerlain Heritage on Friday.

Can't wait...........
    "I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best." - Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

I loved M7; hated it; loved it; hated it -- kinda like Jardin du Nil in that's I was downright passive/aggressive about it.

Finally gave up trying to love M7 w/o hating it and put my bottle up on my swap list. (Did the same w/Jardin du Nil, btw.)
    Go for it -- e-mail me at tvlampboy@aol.com or pm me via Basenotes if you want either or both.

By the way, Mattybumpkin, you're gonna LOVE Héritage if you like strong, patchouli-based, fairly retro frags.
    It (Héritage) is one of my all-time favorites and -- IMHO -- one of Guerlain's modern best.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 24th September 2007 at 08:12 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

pm sent
    You are not your perfume.

Did read at basenotes that gucci ph is an alternative to m7.

I have both on my list and would only buy one if they are to equal.

did test them but am not sure, my favorite until now is gucci.
    "Wow, I've never smelled anything like that before."

Quote Originally Posted by sanatik View Post
    Did read at basenotes that gucci ph is an alternative to m7.

I have both on my list and would only buy one if they are to equal.

did test them but am not sure, my favorite until now is gucci.
    If you mean Gucci pour homme (2003) I don't think they are similar in any way at all. I have both of them and Gucci is far easier to wear.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

The first 10 minutes of wearing M7 leave me hating myself and the world, then the next 6 hours leave me falling in love with both. What a ride; I can't wait until the cold weather gets here so I can wear it.

Quote Originally Posted by KiatBkk View Post
    If you mean Gucci pour homme (2003) I don't think they are similar in any way at all. I have both of them and Gucci is far easier to wear.
    I am glad you say that. I was never a huge fan of the orignal Gucci pour homme. How would you guy classify M7? Is it a woods type fragrance?

Woodsy? Yes, but I'll qualify that -- imagine sweet wood, wood almost to the point of being totally covered in treacle. Have you smelled agarwood before? If you have smelled pure agarwood, then you have some idea of what I'm talking about here. It's an intensely sweet woody smell, almost medicinal.

I strongly suggest that you sample M7 before you buy it. There are plenty of folks here on the board who sell decants of it. If, though, you really want to go through with a blind acquisition of it, just pm me -- I have a 3.3 oz. bottle (about 50 to 60 percent full) that I'd gladly swap. Like L'Anarchiste, M7 is a definite love-hate kinda frag. I love it; I hate it; I love it; I hate it. The schizophrenia of it all, well, that alone makes me wanna swap it.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Just tried M7 Fhresh and to tell the truth I didn't like neither initail notes nor the drydown.

I should retry the original M7, but as far as I remember it's not that different from M7 Fresh.

oh thanks, nice infos.

now i did find the "m7 alternatives" topic again.
    http://community.basenotes.net/showt...7+alternatives

and there said redcomet: "GPH is a drier and much woodier version of M7. Its also less sweet and more spicy. If M7 were a dog, GPH would be a wolf."
    "Wow, I've never smelled anything like that before."

I'm in the loved it/hated it/loved it group too.

I got my first M7 when it was originally released, provocative ad campaign and all. Wore it for a few weeks, but then felt like it was wearing me - I was almost literally "seeing" the cloud of it around me. So I (gasp!) pitched the entire bottle and deo. I still can't really believe I did that.

After joining Basenotes - I acquired M7 Fresh (fantastic) which of course led me right back to M7 "regular". And I'm not pitching any more almost full bottles of fragrance ever again.

I have never smelled agarwood before, so at least it will be a new experience. I also already bit the bullet and placed a order. I hope all goes well.
    Last edited by Raist679; 28th September 2007 at 01:19 AM.