Code of Conduct

Default SWAPPING decants still OK?

I know about the whole debate regarding selling decants here on Basenotes. But is it ok to list decants that you would be willing to swap in the swap forum? Donīt want to step on anyones toes or put anyone in an uncomfortable situation so Iīll ask before I post anything.

/ Tobbe

Feedback 43 (100%)

Default Re: SWAPPING decants still OK?

Quote Originally Posted by Tobbe View Post
    I know about the whole debate regarding selling decants here on Basenotes. But is it ok to list decants that you would be willing to swap in the swap forum? Donīt want to step on anyones toes or put anyone in an uncomfortable situation so Iīll ask before I post anything.

/ Tobbe
    As I recall when the policy statement came out it also applied to swaps. Decants had to be removed from the "For Swap" area as well as the "For Sale" area. Personally I feel that swapping should be allow though. You go into virtually any fragrance shop and they will freely make a decant for you for sampling I don't see why we can't openly do the same thing here.
    In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane - Oscar Wilde

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

What spritzing adults do through the privacy of their own eCorrespondence remains off the radar screen
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Feedback 511 (100%)

I have doubts that the bottle sharing threads as well are allowed since they involve decanting. Apparently Grant has stated that all decanting promotion is not allowed.

I have a thread where I can swap decants for bottle caps... no one's making any money off of this. If a moderator is not ok with this swapping of decants, and posts that on my thread, I'll remove it...
    Check out my fragrances for sale at Crystal Flacon - NEW! Updated - Click Here!
    Creed, Bond No.9, Montale, Frederic Malle, Le Labo, Amouage
    Niche Fragrances / Women's Fragrances / Men's Fragrances

Feedback 511 (100%)

It was not the profit per se that was an official (read between the lines) issue. It was eBay removing decant sales after being threatened by some perfume houses for facilitating unauthorized sales with the potential for fraud.

Feedback 388 (100%)

If decanting isn't allowed then why do the wardrobes still have a "decantable" section.

P.S. I miss swapping decants!
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Feedback 511 (100%)

Adeel- many of us miss swapping decants. I think that Grant has not yet gotten to the feature you mentioned.

So if I posted two bottles for swap and in that same post mention that I have decants at home that I donīt use and that Iīm always looking to try new scents regardless of what size or type of retainer it comes in: that really wouldnīt be considered a swapping suggestion and an implication to PM me but rather a mere description of how I am as a person (i.e. a person who have left over decants and who likes to try new scents)? Oooh, I have a feeling that there is a hidden message somewhere between the lines. ..PM me to find out what.

But seriously. I donīt want to endanger Grant and the Basenotes community in any way so if any of you were to be inclined to swap decants where would you post such an interest? In your wardrobe under decantable even if itīs already decanted and you canīt make more? In the pending section of your wardrobe? Should we post it in our swap list and when contacted notify people that we donīt have full bottles? I realize that it shouldīnt be out in the open but rather through PM:s. Itīs just that there seems to be some confusion about what really goes. I donīt have the resources to buy full bottles whenever I wanīt to try new scents and I donīt live anywhere near a shop that carries niche fragrances. The only way for me to get a craving for a bottle of a fragrance is if Iīve tried it first. So to make sure that the big bad fragrance companies still make money off of me; please let me know how to swap decants and samples without damaging the Basenotes community. I donīt disrespect Grants decision of not allowing decant sales here, in fact I fully understand it! Basenotes is his baby and we should count ourselves lucky that his endeavours are presented to us allowing people to discuss our hobby and passion worldwide. But if I didnīt have the opportunity to swap for decants once in a while the only fragrances I would be able to discuss would be Boss, Old Spice and Axe...

/Tobbe

Feedback 511 (100%)

Contacting someone through PM's or e-mail regarding decants is certainly not openly promoting such an interest in the public eye and I am sure many here will continue to do exactly that.

I say that until a Moderator comes out and says "stop doing this" in the swap section; keep swapping until told otherwise. Everything else is conjecture and dismissable. While members express their opinion, they are not an authority.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Feedback 511 (100%)

It is not necessary for a moderator to make a statement. The site owner, Grant, stated that all decant sales and swaps are forbidden.

you all should be using makeupalley for swapping. you're much more likely to get what you want there than here!

also you can get rid of stuff there...

no interference from the committee in defense of the revolution!

Feedback 132 (100%) hirch_duckfinder's Avatar

Yes, just don't advertise/talk about it in public forum.

so SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Now someone delete the thread title before it attracts attention...
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Quote Originally Posted by supermarky View Post
    you all should be using makeupalley for swapping. you're much more likely to get what you want there than here!

also you can get rid of stuff there...

no interference from the committee in defense of the revolution!
    As supermarky says, lets hop on over to the pink fluffy site that is makeupalley for decant swaps....ofcourse those great swapping deals will be hard to come by (due to temperamental members?) when its "that time of the month"...
    -

Feedback 275 (100%)

I mean not to be negative but I sure hate the trading section on that site, from what I've seen so far..

This is like an oral sex law or something. Unless uniformed men with weapons come to my house to stop me, the oral sex will continue.

I have an email address, available on request, in case anyone doesn't want to have oral sex here in public on basenotes.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Feedback 275 (100%)

hm...
    I'll have to think about that one, Scentronic.

Basically just throwing my sick twist on what has already been said!
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

So you're encouraging swapping fragrances for sexual favors? I like it.

Until Grant tells me to split, i'm not gonna quit.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Feedback 511 (100%)

http://community.basenotes.net/misc.php?do=cfrules
    rule 5.8 clearly addresses this
    Anyone who says that they will knowingly violate this published rule unless the site owner personally enforces it is blatantly disrespecting the owner, the site and its members.