Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Diptyque - At the Gates of Revelation

Went into Blue Mercury shop knowing nothing about all the niche frags they carry (Creed, L'Artisan, Diptyque, Miller Harris, Acqua di Parma, etc) and was taken back by Diptyque's scents. I was not familar with any other their scents beyond the mention of Tam Dao here on Bnotes. L'Eau, Eau Lente, and Opone really made an impression on me. Tam Dao didn't do much though. I sampled all on cards and did not spray on my skin so on the surface these scents seemed really wonderful. Need to go back and sample some on my skin. Prices seems reasonable to for a niche $70/50 ml. Will definitely go back soon for some testing on my skin.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Diptyque - At the Gates of Revelation

I like Diptyque scents and am very familair with BlueMercury - Im a big customer. But Tam Dao didn't do anything for me, either. Matter of fact - Im practically anosmic to it. Perhaps if I really paid a lot of attention to it everytime I sniffed it, it might eventually open up to me and become something extraordinary. But you know what? I just dont have that kind of time. Too many other scents to try - not worth it to get hung up on one...

I love L'Ombre dans L'eau, however. An extraordinary green rose!
    Last edited by MarkDavid; 25th September 2007 at 08:19 PM.
    "To be irreplaceable, one must always be different!" - Coco Chanel

visit: WWW.SNIFFAPALOOZAMAGAZINE.COM

Off-Scenter

I have to agree. Opone, and Eau Lente are special fragrances!

Post Thanks / Like

Tam Dao smells exactly like my basement. I was fascinated that it smelt like my basement, but not so much that it smelt like my basement. If that makes any sense? In hindsight, I wasn't fond of the idea of walking around all day smelling like I was rolling all over the floor and walls of my dirty basement.

Post Thanks / Like

Philosykos, Ôponé, Eau Lente and Virgilio are some of the best, most eminently wearable fragrances I own. L'Eau is a beauty but I got a litle bored with it. L'Eau Trois is superb, though extremely dry and not as consistently wearable. It's heavily evocative and reminds me of walking through the rugged west Texas terrain where I used to hunt as a kid. Ôponé is also extremely evocative, in general just has the ability to raise consciousness. I haven't loved L'Autre yet but it's a possibility. There are others I haven't tried. Tam Dao has a supreme purity about it (like most Diptyques) but the fragrance doesn't do it for me. I think it's one of those that might require time to bring out more of its substance.

Awesome fragrances from that house.
    Last edited by pluran; 25th September 2007 at 07:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by matreal View Post
    Tam Dao smells exactly like my basement. I was fascinated that it smelt like my basement, but not so much that it smelt like my basement. If that makes any sense? In hindsight, I wasn't fond of the idea of walking around all day smelling like I was rolling all over the floor and walls of my dirty basement.
    Likening Tam Dao to the floor of your dirty basement says a lot about you having a very refined and savvy taste.

I like the fresh, herbal quality of Virgilio very much. It's full of energy and life!

And Oyedo kicks ass, as a citrus scent!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Killer_Vavoom View Post
    Likening Tam Dao to the floor of your dirty basement says a lot about you having a very refined and savvy taste.
    He's not far off. Many get a lot of cedar, cypress and pencil shavings notes out of Tam Dao...it smells like the innards of a finely crafted shelf. Maybe matreal has a finely crafted basement.
    -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    He's not far off. Many get a lot of cedar, cypress and pencil shavings notes out of Tam Dao...it smells like the innards of a finely crafted shelf. Maybe matreal has a finely crafted basement.
    I do. It's a fairly old house with a basement walls made of cedarwood and wags wood. Hence the "Rolling on the walls." Not to mention plenty of shelves to hold numerous art supplies. Like many with unfinished basements, I don't dust it on a regular basis and there are some cobwebs here and there. Hence the "Dirty basement."
    Last edited by matreal; 25th September 2007 at 08:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    Went into Blue Mercury shop knowing nothing about all the niche frags they carry (Creed, L'Artisan, Diptyque, Miller Harris, Acqua di Parma, etc) and was taken back by Diptyque's scents. I was not familar with any other their scents beyond the mention of Tam Dao here on Bnotes. L'Eau, Eau Lente, and Opone really made an impression on me. Tam Dao didn't do much though. I sampled all on cards and did not spray on my skin so on the surface these scents seemed really wonderful. Need to go back and sample some on my skin. Prices seems reasonable to for a niche $70/50 ml. Will definitely go back soon for some testing on my skin.
    Did you get to try Philosykos while you were there? It's a great one for summer that sticks very close to the skin and smells absolutely unique...I think of crushed banana plant leaves and coconuts. But that's just me. And Eau Lente will forever be one of my favorites.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Oyedo, L'Eau and Philosykos are favorites of mine. And the prices are very reasonable.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, you can't go wrong with Philosykos, in my opinion. Smelling it made me reconsider my position on fig fragrances. Probably the first scent I smelled that recreated exactly the smell of a fresh, green plant stalk.

I also have a lot of respect for the line itself. It's minimal packaging, it's fierce candle selection and the bottle sizes are all very distinct and unique.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 26th September 2007 at 01:17 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought Eau Lente recently (after enjoying samples) and I appreciate it more every time I wear it. What impresses me most at this point is how it retains a spicy "heat" all the way through the drydown (especially if applied on clothing), and how it simultaneously feels calming rather than stimulating.

Philosykos is my favorite fig scent. A friend and co-worker wears it frequently, however, so I'd feel like I was trespassing if I made it a regular part of my wardrobe.

I bought L'Ombre dans L'Eau once upon a time, but (alone among all my fragrance purchases) it seemed too girly on me, I was never comfortable wearing it. I've since enjoyed wearing other (non-Diptyque) rose scents so much that I'm tempted to give Opôné a try.

Both Virgilio and L'eau trois share a "stemmy" note that bothers me (although they're not otherwise particularly similar). Others seem not to notice this note, so it's not a reason to miss out on sampling them.

I share the opinion of those who find Tam Dao too understated. And I just recently tried wearing a spritz of the Galliano room scent on my skin. I was hoping for "smoky" but got "musty".
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Post Thanks / Like

I wore Eau Lente today. It's still quite apparent tonight. Great longevity, invigorating
    yet reassuring at the same time.

Diptyque has a great line up and could easily win a "Best Niche House" award.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought L'Autre body wash for my husband & was gifted with a small bottle of the fragrance. We both love it! It's "different", that's for sure but then again we like "different".
    Notes: vis a vis osMoz http://www.osmoz.com/encyclo/marques...NGUE&LANGUE=FR
    "Mom….now the kitten smells like Chamade!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by matreal View Post
    You forgot to mention you kept Daniel Moliere (the TD nose) hostage in your basement, perhaps ? That would explain it.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    You forgot to mention you kept Daniel Moliere (the TD nose) hostage in your basement, perhaps ? That would explain it.
    Must have snuck down there. I've actually had friends walk into my basement and afterwords smell Tam Dao and they thought I must have covered the room with it. It's one specific room that smells exactly like it where as all the others smell faintly of it. It's the same room we keep all the holiday decorations in.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RHM View Post
    I bought L'Autre body wash for my husband & was gifted with a small bottle of the fragrance. We both love it! It's "different", that's for sure but then again we like "different".
    Notes: vis a vis osMoz http://www.osmoz.com/encyclo/marques...NGUE&LANGUE=FR
    Noone ever mentions L'Autre here (believe me, I look out for comments on it). Is it 'dirty' as some (including Chandler Burr) have described it?