Code of Conduct

Default Rose Week: Domenico Caraceni and Rose Poivree

After joining Basenotes, one of the first things I learned about my taste in fragrances is that I have a penchant for roses. Thanks to a generous Basenoter, a sample of Czech & Speake No. 88 floored me with its enigmatic accords and encouraged me to seek out other scents with prominent rose notes. Voleur de Roses, Rose 31, Black Aoud, AMaze, Stella, Sa Majeste La Rose...and the list continues. It does not matter whether the rose note is an understudy or playing the lead role. I can usually find something to appreciate in every scent that holds a rose, or bouquet in some instances.

Over the past few months, I have received personal recommendations, samples, and decants of various rose fragrances from a some generous Basenoters. I am dedicating this week to testing these fragrances.

Domenico Caraceni

Conjures images of long forgotten scented letters and dried roses kept in an antique cigar box. The opening hints at a little a pepper, woods and other notes that are vaguely familiar. The tobacco note is one of the best dry tobacco notes I've ever smelled. The rose entwines itself in the tobacco and neither plays a dominant role. As for the base of cypress and frankincense, I can not readily identify either but that does not matter. This fragrance is far more than a sum of its notes and accords. It's balanced, subtle, enigmatic and complex. The drydown has the same tranquil, meditative effect on me that only No. 88 and Noir Epices hold over me. The presence and sillage wear like a gentle soothing touch that subtly reminds me I am wearing something incredible. I have never smelled anything like Domenco Caraceni. Truly an amazing unique scent.

Top: petit grain, styrax, geranium bourbon.
    Heart: neroli bigarade, rose absolute, tobacco.
    Base: cypress and frankincense

Sprays:7
    Longevity:10-12 hours plus
    Sillage: Moderate
    RIYL:Czech & Speake No. 88, nonpareil fragrances.

The Different Company, Rose Poivree

Rose Poivree bears a striking resemblance to my natural scent following an extended sweat session between the sheets with a few rose petals scattered about. I am a big fan of well done civet notes and my favorite nose, Jean Claude Ellena, delivers civet in spades creating a full-on carnal piece in Rose Poivree. The scent comes roaring out of the bottle in a haze pepper and spices eventually settling into a steady erotic hum of rose,civet, and vetiver. Arousal in a bottle. Taps into my primal beast. I like that.

Sprays:5
    Longevity:8-10 hours
    Sillage: Low to moderate, yet driven by body temperature in a direct realationship
    RIYL:Kingdom, Opone, Rose 31, spicy rose scents, civet.

Default Re: Rose Week: Domenico Caraceni and Rose Poivree

Michael, damnit, you're gonna have me shopping around again! LOL
    Great reviews as always, thanks for sharing your terrific insight and opinions.

Smile Re: Rose Week: Domenico Caraceni and Rose Poivree

That does it. I do believe my SOTD tomorrow will be Ungaro III. I share a love of roses as well.
    Discount and drug store fragrance trollop. http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=74

accidentally deleted post.

thanks for the reviews sloan_8013. caraceni's a great one.
    Last edited by pluran; 18th December 2007 at 02:29 AM.

Dominico Caraceni. This I gotta try. Where would I find it in the UK though....?

Basenotes Institution

I just had to spritz on some Rose Poivree when I went home for lunch, after I read your post Michael. Love this stuff (my decant is almost gone...ack!). I have said this before, the best use of black pepper I have smelled yet. I think the way it contrasts with the rose is so yin & yang, they really complement each other. A good inhaling of it when I apply it always makes me sneeze...the molecules fool my nose every time into thinking I'm smelling freshly ground pepper. I will also say that the civet in RP is awfully tidy and proper. I think those rose lovers that are not fond of civet notes should atleast give RP a sniff, because the civet note is folded so carefully into the other notes it's not off putting at all.

The Domenico Caraceni...well, now you've got my attention. I have got to try this...who stocks it??

My apologies for being such an enabler, Kevin.

Outstanding review pluran. I agree with you on several counts. Domenico Caraceni is also one of the best fragrances I've ever worn. Classifying it as a rose fragrance seems to insult its composition because it is so much more than a rose scent, it works on so many levels it becomes difficult to describe. A true chameleon that can be what I want it be, be what I need it to be...anything.

Mike and Glenos, Domenico Caraceni is available at Aus Libe zum Duft online http://www.ausliebezumduft.de/index.php?language=enI've heard they're the only retailer outside of Italy that carries it. Scentemental recommended them as a source for it in a previous thread. Earlier in the month, I ordered a bottle from them but have no idea how long it will take to arrive. Generous soul that he is, Scentemental provided me with a sample to test during this week.

Alright, pluran, do tell: Where can this Domenico Caraceni fragrance be purchased?

Talking Re: Rose Week: Domenico Caraceni and Rose Poivree

Omg, omg, bottle has been ordered from the retail link given. Thanks Sloan. Perhaps I should have gotten two bottles, three even. It's on its way. I have tried just about every rosey frag going and none have quite hit the spot. This one may do I think. Omg, omg, could this be the one that I have been waiting for... (sits biting his nails)
    Last edited by Glenos; 26th September 2007 at 12:08 PM.

The 20 shipping charges hurts...I'm still contemplating but Pluran is convincing with his prose.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Well fellas it arrived today. Domenico Caraceni 1913 pour Homme has raised the bar. I have nothing that compares. It's in a different league to anything I have ever smelled.
    Last edited by Glenos; 3rd October 2007 at 02:05 PM.

When I tested it the first time from a sample I knew in a second I need at least a 100ml bottle. Otherwise my whole collection doesn't make sense ....
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Add me to the must-try, must-have list for Domenico Caraceni!
    My current top 10: Richard James; Clive Christian No. 1 for Men; L'Artisan Voleur de Roses; Creed Aventus, Erolfa, Santal Imperial, Virgin Island Water, and Windsor; Serge Lutens Chergui and Gris Clair

"It is never to late to be what you might have been." George Eliot

Quote Originally Posted by sloan_8013 View Post
    ... Domenico Caraceni is available at Aus Libe zum Duft online http://www.ausliebezumduft.de/index.php?language=enI've heard they're the only retailer outside of Italy that carries it. ....
    And in Italy directly? The Caraceni shop is in Milano. The German website shows a lavender colored bottle for € 79. The Italian website shopbynet.it shows a brown bottle (with the crossed swords) for about € 20 less. It looks really traditional, and more like it, considering the year 1913.Could someone please tell me what the bottle should look like nowadays
    Last edited by narcus; 3rd October 2007 at 09:31 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

don't stop at two, Michael. I too, am emerging as a rose lover, and am eager to hear of your other rose experiences.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41 View Post
    don't stop at two, Michael. I too, am emerging as a rose lover, and am eager to hear of your other rose experiences.
    Not to worry Renee. I had a weekend fling with Rosine and Ava to end the latest installment of Stop and Smell the Roses Week. I am still working on capsule reviews of the three I tested last Friday, Saturday, and Sunday: Rose d'Homme, Une Folie de Rose , and Incense Rose. You can read Wednesday's and Thursday's choices here: http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=199705

I also have plenty of scents for another week of sampling, a femme version. I'll post my impressions on the women's board. No idea when. I want to wait until purplebird7 can join us because she recommended the Rosines and the Montale in the lineup. Currently, the femme version of rose week is slated to feature:
    Les Parfums des Rosine: Une Zeste de Rose, Ecume de Rose, Rose de Feu, Poussiere de Rose
    Montale, Aoud Roses Petals
    Christianne Celle, Calypso Rose
    Ava Luxe, Rasa

In addition, I have six more samples of rose-tinged scents from Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab en route.

Everything's coming up roses indeed.
    Last edited by Sloan; 3rd October 2007 at 06:40 PM.

well, okay, then.
    I am realizing that everything in your RIYL lists are things I like.
    trouble with a capital T
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Caraceni sounds like something luckyscents.com should pick up. I am intrigued, but hate blind buys. Will stick with Rose 31 for now.

Question: Is DC anything like Hammam Bouquet?
    Last edited by Joe_Frances; 28th October 2007 at 12:28 AM. Reason: spelling error

I bought a decant of DC and it smells yummy good. Definitely unique, long lasting as hell. Extremely long lasting. I wish there were other places to order from!

TNMA

By the way, the German site appears not to be carrying the fragrance under discussion here, at least they don't have it at present.

Additioinally, on the Italian site, which does have the fragrance, those are not crossed swords, it is an open pair of scissors, symbolizing Caraceni who is a famous mens' tailor.

Joe
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by thenmarcher View Post
    I bought a decant of DC and it smells yummy good. Definitely unique, long lasting as hell. Extremely long lasting. I wish there were other places to order from!

TNMA
    Anyone here know Franco at luckyscent.com well enough to tell him to get DC?
    Last edited by Joe_Frances; 27th October 2007 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

If you've tried or have Domenico Caraceni, would you say it has less spice, less "bite," than Rose 31 and Rose Poivree? And is DC aromatic (I find Rose 31 has some smokiness, and I wonder if DC has aromatic notes because of its cypress and frankincense). Do you find one more wearable over the other? Thanks...I'm pretty intrigued by DC and am thinking of getting some.
    Last edited by Spicemeister; 27th October 2007 at 11:41 PM.

I received a sample from Perfume Court. Domenico Caraceni did'nt work as well on me as Czech & Speake #88. I did enjoy your review and always enjoy leads on new things to try. Thank you for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Spicemeister View Post
    If you've tried or have Domenico Caraceni, would you say it has less spice, less "bite," than Rose 31 and Rose Poivree? And is DC aromatic (I find Rose 31 has some smokiness, and I wonder if DC has aromatic notes because of its cypress and frankincense). Do you find one more wearable over the other? Thanks...I'm pretty intrigued by DC and am thinking of getting some.
    I own all three and find DC to have less "bite" than Rose 31 and Rose Poivree. DC's understated elegance and pitch-perefct note blending make it perfect for any occasion IMO. It also creates a more intimate aura for me as compared to aromatic fragrances I have worn.

http://www.shopbynet.it/profumissimi...asp?IdMarca=19

The above link is to an Italian online reatiler. I'm considering it.

Quote Originally Posted by calexs View Post
    http://www.shopbynet.it/profumissimi...asp?IdMarca=19

The above link is to an Italian online reatiler. I'm considering it.

I'm not going to go into details but you don't want to do business there.
    Last edited by pluran; 28th October 2007 at 02:02 PM.

I don't think you have to know Franco well enough to make a suggestion. I hounded him to carry two fragrances that no other US retailer carries and both are now part Luckyscent's inventory. I'm not gonna tell which two - my suggestions probably didn't even influence their decision but I did send them emails about those fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Frances View Post
    Anyone here know Franco at luckyscent.com well enough to tell him to get DC?

DC has less bite than Rose 31? Wow. Totally disagree there.

TNMA

Rose Poivree seemingly carries what you expect from it, it's a good news. However, it turned up my stomach each time I tried to get into it. It must be my fault.