Code of Conduct

Default And the winner is: A La Nuit

When I was in Greece over the past couple of weeks, my nostrils were constantly assailed by jasmine, which grows freely by the sides of the roads. I had received my small bottle of Sarrasins before going away, and I have a large bottle of A La Nuit as well. I compared Sarrasins with 'real' jasmine and found that it smelled rather synthetic in comparison. So, as I didn't have my A La Nuit with me, I brought home a few jasmine blossoms in my carry-on bag, and when I got home I compared it to A La Nuit. Absolutely spot on. A La Nuit is a much truer jasmine (for my nose anyway) than Sarrasins. Jasmine just takes me right back to Greece every time I smell it. It evokes so much, just with one whiff. Gorgeous.
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Default Re: And the winner is: A La Nuit

Interesting! Well it's good because it's the cheaper option, and easier to get. It's wonderful when a scent can evoke great memories - very Proustian.

Basenotes Institution

I have a small decant bottle of A La Nuit at home and ever so often (usually at bedtime) wear it. Totally agree - the truest, most powerful jasmine scent on the market. I tend to compare all jasmine scents to this, when I smell them (is it better than A La Nuit? Darker? etc.)

I think it was caeser, who said it was 'like wearing a necklace of flowers'. I have also learned not to overapply this scent, or it can be become quickly claustrophobic.

Jasmine flowers in Greece...wonderful olfactory image.

The thing that amazed me the most about those tiny white flowers, was the amount of fragrance they pump out, and also, even after they've been picked and have to all intents and purposes DIED, they still pump out the fragrance. How does that work? Where does it come from? Rhetorical. I'm just amazed by the power of nature sometimes. I love that 'necklace of flowers' quote by the way.
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

I've just sent out an e-mail requesting a sample of Sarrasins (from Pink Magenta Fragrances). I'll post more about that transaction as it completes, hopefully without disappointment.

A La Nuit has become my 'benchmark' for jasmine! Any comparisons or critisism of jasmine notes automatically begin at the starting line with A La Nuit! I've yet to sniff any that can surpass it's perfection, and actually none have even come close... I consider ALN Sheldrake's masterpiece!

To me A la Nuit and Jasmin Full are equally jasminish, though they are quite different.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascella View Post
    To me A la Nuit and Jasmin Full are equally jasminish, though they are quite different.
    I'd be curious to hear how the two compare. I only have experience with Jasmine Full and I was blown away by its gorgeous, authentic sort of wetness. It's a "round" sent to me. There's a passage in Persepolis, the graphic autobiography by Marjane Satrapi in which she recalls her Grandmother's ritual of putting the crushed Jasmine petals in her bodice every day, and how at night when she undressed for bed, the petals would fall, unleashing their heady perfume. I associated Jasmine Full with that image.

How would you describe the difference between Jasmine Full and A La Nuit?
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache