Code of Conduct

Default Aoud Lime suggestions please

Do you guys think it is safe to blind buy Aoud Lime? Some reviews say it is like a bug spray, and the dry down is very mundane rose and sandalwood. I am afraid it is very similar to other Montales' Aoud. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Default Re: Aoud Lime suggestions please

Let's see. I have written a review of Aoud Lime recently and it is an amazing scent. I don't get any lime in it at all. The story is that there is an opening accord that reminds us of lime without adding the real thing. What I do smell is Oud and saffron. This scent is woody and spicy. The base notes are mainly ambergris and oud. For me, this is one of the most interesting of the Montale line and I highly recommend trying it out.

When I wear it, it is constantly morphing and changing. Sometimes it's all about oud and sometimes it's the ambergris and then at other times...it's the saffron! I think it's brilliantly done. There are others that can't stand it...so try first. Of course if you are thinking about the big sale, you don't have time to try it out first. Well, I hope I helped a little.

In a few words, AL was inspired by a very popular agarwood/rose concoction in the Gulf, namely Saudi. There is citrus, of course, but that's subdued by the white/red saffron and honey essence augmented by agarwood (a smidgen, actually). It's a sublime rose scent that is truly unisex. There's also henna seed extract in it along with sandalwood, which gives the scent a somewhat powdery feel.

I didn't get bug spray from it but I also wasn't impressed with it that much. However, I don't seem to be a fan of any aoud containing fragrances for the most part. The closest fragrance that I've come to buying from the aoud line thus far has been black aoud. So I wouldn't take my word for it. I mean, considering my apparent lack of "Refined and savvy taste."
    Last edited by matreal; 27th September 2007 at 01:52 PM.

paintrman - I have read your review and what you said really makes me more interested in buying it. BTW, I am going to order the book "The Quincunx" next time I am ordering from Amazon.

Killer_Vavoom - I don't think I have tried saffron, agarwood or henna seed extract scents. Maybe it is worth buying this one. Did you get lime from it? Some people say they can smell it all the way through.

matreal - I am still not sure what aoud scent is like; I didn't get the medicinal aura in the beginning. You didn't get the bug spray that people talk about, which I was worried about. That's a plus!

Thank you guys for your input. I know there are many Basenoters who ordered Aoud Lime during the sale. Your comments will still be useful; there are still 3 days before the sale ends

Quote Originally Posted by alaya View Post
    paintrman - I have read your review and what you said really makes me more interested in buying it. BTW, I am going to order the book "The Quincunx" next time I am ordering from Amazon.

Killer_Vavoom - I don't think I have tried saffron, agarwood or henna seed extract scents. Maybe it is worth buying this one. Did you get lime from it? Some people say they can smell it all the way through.

matreal - I am still not sure what aoud scent is like; I didn't get the medicinal aura in the beginning. You didn't get the bug spray that people talk about, which I was worried about. That's a plus!

Thank you guys for your input. I know there are many Basenoters who ordered Aoud Lime during the sale. Your comments will still be useful; there are still 3 days before the sale ends
    I made sure to reorder some samples from Aedes just to give myself one last sample of some of the frags I'm on the fence with before deciding whether or not to order. However, hearing that they've been throwing in some extra bottles with some of the orders and the fact that theyre such low prices and I can probably get all my money back if not more is very encouraging.

I only recommend sampling this one first.

I have large decant of this and I'm not impressed at all. One reviewer said that its was a mismash of scents and I concur.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Quote Originally Posted by alaya View Post
    Killer_Vavoom - I don't think I have tried saffron, agarwood or henna seed extract scents. Maybe it is worth buying this one. Did you get lime from it? Some people say they can smell it all the way through
    OOPS! Sorry, I totally forgot about this thread.
    Yes Ayala, I do get lime (we call it banzahir, which is the tiny green lemon with thin and distinctly aromatic peel) all through the pyramid, though it's tucked beneath the louder notes of rose, agarwood (this is oud actually), and the woody base. Mind you, two notes persist alongside the rosy/oud-y accord, which are: somewhat sharp wood (due to the red saffron) and lime.
    On a side note, White Oud is, IMO, the softened femme sibling to Aoud Lime.

ps. Traditionally, Arabs of the peninsula longed for lime above all other citrus fruits, orange blossom and Damascus rose (ward jouri of the Cham region - Syria and Lebanon) as they saw in them symbols of the unattainable in their habitat - the arid desert plains. The Damascene rose was introduced to the soil of the Tai'f region in Saudi much later on in history and the result was the sublime Ta'if Rose.

I love this stuff. It satisfies to the core.

I like it, but only in burning hot weather. It is loud and brash with a strong opening dominated buy Iris, rose and saffron giving a "lime impression". The oud is one of my favourite notes in the whole montale line and the drydown is excellent (if you are alive long enough to get there , it takes hours and hours....). It is not what I would describe as a subtle perfume though.......
    "Donít try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. Ē - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Good timing,I'm just about to order 100ml. The "problem" is,I can't see me using up all that much of it. I find that two sprays last and project for days . After Attar,my favourite Montale. Unique and satisfying.
    Last edited by Latch35; 29th September 2007 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Latch35 View Post
    Good timing,I'm just about to order 100ml. The "problem" is,I can't see me using up all that much of it. I find that two sprays last and project for days . After Attar,my favourite Montale. Unique and satisfying.
    Yes, this is a problem with the whole line. No need for backup bottles here.......
    "Donít try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. Ē - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    Yes, this is a problem with the whole line. No need for backup bottles here.......
    I've yet to try Lime with "extra" Aoud,I don't think. I wonder if,when placing an order under the current promotion,they will add a bit more. Imagine Lime with "extra" No scent of the day anymore,more a scent of the week My only impediment to ordering right now,I can not decide on which others to choose.

I've been using a sample of Aoud Lime and I like it. It's really, really sharp and medicinal--which I enjoy. Plus it doesn't have that rose note that a lot of the others have-- Even though I like the rose notes, sometimes you're not in the mood. And the absence of rose makes it more masculine too. The saffron is a nice touch. Like others have said, the term "lime" is perhaps suggestive rather than literal-- it does have a tart, limey quality-- but it doesn't actually smell like limes in any way that I've experienced limes before.

I do like the drydown quite a bit. It's long lasting and projects pretty well. It took me a while to "get" the Montales, but I think they're pretty intense-- which means they're satisfying to fragrance junkies. I can see some of these scents being very bewitching to bystanders.

If you end up disliking Lime Aoud I'm sure you'd have someone on here eager to buy it from you.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    I've been using a sample of Aoud Lime and I like it. It's really, really sharp and medicinal--which I enjoy. Plus it doesn't have that rose note that a lot of the others have-- Even though I like the rose notes, sometimes you're not in the mood. And the absence of rose makes it more masculine too. The saffron is a nice touch. Like others have said, the term "lime" is perhaps suggestive rather than literal-- it does have a tart, limey quality-- but it doesn't actually smell like limes in any way that I've experienced limes before.

I do like the drydown quite a bit. It's long lasting and projects pretty well. It took me a while to "get" the Montales, but I think they're pretty intense-- which means they're satisfying to fragrance junkies. I can see some of these scents being very bewitching to bystanders.

If you end up disliking Lime Aoud I'm sure you'd have someone on here eager to buy it from you.
    Is it 'Vicks Vapo Rub' medicinal (menthol)? Or is it cough syrup medicinal? Or neither?

For me it's neither menthol nor like cough syrup. It does have oud in it but it's primarily an oud/saffron/ambergris accord. Trust me on this one. In the drydown, I experience this very odd shift from oud and saffron to the most wonderful ambergris and then is shifts back to the oud/saffron. This is why many people describe is as a strange discordant scent. The ambergris is very similar in approach to the Creed house accord of ambergris/vanilla/musk. This scent is truly like having a conversation with someone where it shifts and changes several times an hour and then shifts back again. I find it hypnotic. This is a clean scent with no sexy musks or aromatically suggestive spices like cumin. The saffron is soft and the ambergris is very soapy. As you can tell I love this one.

Very intense scent, will get you a lot of attencion.
    If you already have an aoud montale, however,I would wait, they all follow the same basic aoud blast through out.

I bought it blind and I'm very happy I did. It's a good one. I agree with some of the other comments posted here: It's strong. It lacks the rose note that is present in other Montale Aouds.

It's probably my favorite of the Montale line, thought I like Black Aoud a lot as well and have been thinking hard about buying that one too.
    Christian Dior VetiverPatou Pour HommeChristian Dior Leather OudOrmonde Jayne Ormonde ManSerge Lutens Chene

I get a limey top note which dissipates fast to reveal a standard oud-amber-sandalwood base. Its a minor variation on the oud theme, its a bit more "fresh" than some of the others montales, and the saffron adds an interestin touch but its a little too simplistic. there are many better "citrus" scents out there. Overall a 6.5/10 scent.
    Last edited by zztopp; 29th September 2007 at 07:33 PM.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Killer_Vavoom View Post
    Yes Ayala, I do get lime
    That's not me! It's alaya. We have a very similar name, how confusing!

I've never was interested particularly in Aud Lime, but after your description of it I am bound to try it finally. I love saffron, and the Montale auds are all very interesting. The Lime one I've always immediately ignored for some reason, without every making the effort to smell it...
    Ayala Moriel, Perfumer
    Ayala Moriel Parfums http://www.ayalamoriel.com/
    Visit my SmellyBlog: http://www.smellyblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Ayala View Post
    That's not me! It's alaya. We have a very similar name, how confusing!
    @II@ indeed confusing Your nick is what I called you by and what your URL's seem to say!
    I'm under the impression that you are the perfumer herself. (The prices are very very high, btw). Anyways, hope you like AL when you get it. White Aoud is quite nice too. It has the same saffron effect but softened by the creaminess of white flowers.

Off-Scenter

Not a good blind buy, but then few, if any, of the Montale ouds are. Aoud Lime ties with Steam Aoud for me as the least impressive of the bunch. To my crude nose Black Aoud, Royal Aoud, and Aoud Cuir d'Arabie have the most character. (Granted, I tend to prefer "challenging" scents.)

Backed into a corner, I'd say the safest of the lot for a blind buy is White Aoud, which is pleasant and distinctive, but not as challenging as some of the others.

Basenotes Institution

Ruggles gave me some Aoud Lime to sample and I must agree with Kelley's (paintrman) post about the shifting notes of lime, saffron and that honeyed accord all mixing and moshing together.

Of course there's that wonderful Montale house aoud note that I loved in Black Aoud - but this really comes charging out of the gate with the lime. And I might be alone here, but to my nose the lime (just like Virgin Island Water by Creed) smells slightly like buttered popcorn. No kidding.

In addition, Ruggles purchased the juice in my sample from the Paris Montale store and they put 'extra' oils in the bottle (he watched them while they did it) so I imagine I am smelling an even stronger version than some of you guys are. Wow - this stuff really projects. Seems like my sample should last me quite a while.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 22nd December 2007 at 02:24 PM.

NO, don't buy it blind! Along with Black Aoud, one of the best Montale scents. I love it. But, it is so unusual that I can easily see how it will offend, maybe even disturb many wearers. Test it several times before buying!